Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this typical after an ablation?

Posted by tobherd 
Is this typical after an ablation?
September 18, 2013 11:49PM
Tomorrow will mark my 2nd week since my ablation by Dr. Natale in NYC. One thing I've noticed is that I feel the need to take a breath in a numer of times each day, and then cough (a dry cough). Wondering if that tube down my throat or the catheter in my neck may have irritated my throat/upper chest area?? Nothing hurts...just a strange feeling....like I need to take a breath or cough....hoping it's temporary.

Have any of my fellow ablationers had something like this?

Thanks ~ Barb
Re: Is this typical after an ablation?
September 19, 2013 12:54PM
The intubation causes irritation in the throat. I was coughing for about 6 weeks. This is normal from the intubation.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
September 19, 2013 06:05PM
Barb,

Same here, I have had it also, it has pretty much gone away but when allergies are up it tends to bother me a little.

KenH
September 19, 2013 07:55PM
Does/did it feel like you needed to take a deep breath, and when you did, then needed to cough? Mostly irritating..and concerning only if it doesn't go away..
September 19, 2013 09:58PM
Barb,
Yep perfectly normal, even coughed up some blood for a week or so.
It lasted about 6-8 weeks before it all dissipated.

McHale
September 19, 2013 11:41PM
Ah good...was getting worried that this might stay with me. Other than that, just a few minor rumbles in the heart area, but the monitor people tell me all is normal so far (when I send in the recordings)... Glad they have us do that as it's reassuring to know someone is keeping an eye out for awhile.

How are things for you now, McHale & Ken? All quiet? ~ Barb
September 20, 2013 12:35PM
Hi Barb,

As McHale , Ken and Iatrogenia all reassured, it is not uncommon for a little minor throat/esophageal irritation to be there for a bit post ablation. Most everyone has a little bit of that for a couple days and some with more narrow windpipes or that are constricted a bit near the downward turn of the pipe can get a little more that lingers off and on for a few weeks.

As everyone above noted, it's no big deal and just of the minor nuisance variety made all the more minor by the knowledge that it is minor ... and temporary.

Glad to hear you are doing so well and the healing is all downhill from here! Congrats ... You've made it past the all the questions and unknowns most everyone has before the first ablation. Hopefully this will be your last too but as Dr N said it's always possible for those like us that came to him with more developed atrial fibrosis/scar or other well known extenuating circumstances including a longer time frame battling with the beast, a touch up could be in order at some point to put the final period to the sentence.

The best news is that you have already accomplished the lion's share of shy work you might ever need, if you are not fully done already, so when and only if any touch up needs arise , the whole process will be SOOO much easier and less stressful than approaching it the first time. Duck soup from here really...

Shannon
September 20, 2013 12:40PM
The chest tightness is a different symptom, from the surgery itself. It also gradually goes away.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
September 22, 2013 01:22PM
Hi Barb, I had the same sensations you describe even some very minor trouble swallowing for a month or so after the ablation. It all gradually disappeared and I am doing well. Sounds like par for the course and before you know it you'll be fine too. good luck Dennis
September 23, 2013 05:40AM
Barb,
All good almost 4 months now. I do get the occasional run of pacs/pvcs bit those have somewhat subsided as the weeks go by. No more Multaq for over one month, just staying on Xarelto for now. Just need to keep my stress in check............
September 25, 2013 10:13PM
HI McHale - good to hear you are feeling so well and you are only on Xarelto for now. Is your stress caused by concern over Afib or is it coming from other things? Have you tried l-theanine? I know Jackie is a big proponent of this for helping with stress, anxiety, and just calming the mind and body.

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me since my ablation. All is good, other than a faster heart rate and a few "blips" that the heart monitor people tell me is NOT Afib, so..guess it's PACs. I can deal with those, although am hoping they too go away and the heart becomes completely calm and quiet. I wish the same for you!

Have a good night ~ Barb

P.S. When did you go back for a check up with Dr. Natale? No one has mentioned that to me yet...
September 29, 2013 11:27PM
Hey Barb,
Lot's of work related stress, working and installing some large electrical units and cooling projects right now and other issues at work.......

Shannon has spoke to me about L-Theanine, need to keep on a steady weekly regimen

Went to see Natale after 2 months but he never told me when to come back after I stopped Multaq.
I guess as we discussed the next ablation if needed would be the LAA, as he feels that confident the PVI will not reconnect as he just doesn't see that anymore. I'll schedule an appointment with him when I feel it's time to get off Xarelto or AFIB comes back. But so far the early flutter I had at day 15 that needed a ECV to put me back in NSR I feel confident will not come back. I've had some very stressful times lately and I've also pushed my heart rate into the 150 bpm range in the gym with no hint of a flutter. Coffee or some light beers just 2 or 4 on weekends have not set off anything.

Looking back aren't you glad you did it?

Bell Well,

McHale

PS Sorry been too preoccupied and busy to post lately

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 05:41AM by McHale.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login