Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Definitions

Posted by Louise 
Definitions
September 18, 2013 02:56PM
I read and re-read posts from everyone and still I will read a new post and realize I still don't understand afib.

I have an "irregular heartbeat" all the time. I have had it since Jan/Feb 2010. Isn't that atrial fibrillation? I read about people having an "afib episode" for 2 or 3 hours and going to the hospital. I have never gone to the hospital -- I would be there all the time. I never "self convert." My heart rate is high 70's before I get out of bed in the morning, but during the day can be from 77-high 90's.

I occasionally get short of breath going up the stairs too fast, but just stop for a few seconds and it goes away. Also I "feel" my heart pounding harder at times, which I think are "ectopics?" (PACs or PVCs).

At what point would I think I should go to the hospital? Or, is what I have not even atrial fibrillation? I also hear not to put off ablation because it is the best, easiest solution, but then the next post is from someone who has had many already and still on the same drugs they were on before and I am just getting more confused. Perhaps the answer is that I am just too daft to "get it!" :\
Re: Definitions
September 18, 2013 05:23PM
Lousie,

You might be interested in reading my Frequently Asked Questions at [www.afibbers.org] which may help to answer some of your questions.

Hans

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2013 05:29PM by Hans Larsen.
September 19, 2013 03:20AM
Louise, have you ever had an irregular heartbeat documented?

I ask because there are many different kinds. The first step is finding out exactly what you are dealing with.

Then, when you know, you can make informed decisions that aren't based on guesses.

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
September 19, 2013 03:25PM
Hi Lisa,

Yes, I first noticed an irregular/rapid heartbeat in Jan/Feb 2010. In March at my annual physical I mentioned it to my Dr and he put me on a Holter monitor for 24 hours. That's when it was diagnosed as atrial fibrillation. I had an echo cardiagram at the time, which showed no other heart problems (and again last year with the same results). Once during an annual checkup I had a normal EKG, but it was temporary. I feel very lucky not to be experiencing the debilitating symptoms others have described here, so am just trying to figure out what it is I'm dealing with.

I do not take any heart regulating drugs, as they didn't do anything but drain my wallet! I do take Pradaxa and Mag/Pot/Taurine as well as CoQ10 and Vitamin D. I am sure that these are helping my overall health and will stick with them.

I will take Hans' advice and read the FAQ and try to "start over." Although the posts here are very helpful, a lot of them are so medical and scientific that they're "above my pay grade!" By the time I look up words as I am reading, I have to go back and start over just to see what I was reading about! But I will persevere and hopefully after enough repetition some of it will sink in!

Thank you for your response!

Louise
September 20, 2013 04:31PM
Louise,

In Hans' FAQ's he says "Atrial fibrillation is characterized by a rapid, irregular heart beat and can be paroxysmal (intermittent) or permanent in nature. " Well the ventricular rate (what you feel/measure in your pulse) is often, but not always rapid. It sounds like you are either all or most of the time in afib. Many here have significant periods of NSR.

"At what point would I think I should go to the hospital?" If you are asymptomatic, never.

"Or, is what I have not even atrial fibrillation?" Only way to tell is with an ECG or Holter.

"I also hear not to put off ablation because it is the best, easiest solution, but then the next post is from someone who has had many already and still on the same drugs they were on before and I am just getting more confused." These people are trying to stay in NSR and may be very symptomatic when they aren't. The advice is good, if you can get to one of the really good ablation centers. Since you are most likely in afib most/all of the time, an ablation is likely going to be more complicated and going to the best ablationist you can is indicated, if you want to follow that route. That being said, many people live an long time (30 or more years) in continual afib and they are just fine. There are always tradeoffs. It sounds like you are anticoagulated and that will likely continue for life. This mitigates the potential stroke risk. If your rate remains low (<100), that mitigates the issue of cardiomyopathy, the other serious potential complication of afib.

In summary, it sounds like you're asymptomatic and have mitigated the two most serious complications of afib. If you are satisfied with this, there is no reason to do something different.

George

Perhaps the answer is that I am just too daft to "get it!" :\ "
September 20, 2013 04:43PM
If your doctor is a GP, you may wish to see a cardiologist or cardiologist-electrophysiologist (EPs do the ablations) to get more complete answers to your questions.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
September 21, 2013 02:26PM
George, thank you very much. (HaHa, I noticed you quoted me and then responded, except for the "daft" part, which you left alone!) I also read Hans' FAQ and with your response it becomes clearer to me that I am very fortunate to have asymptomatic afib. With my very short periods of rapid heart beat I sympathize with those who have to go to the hospital. I think I was "over-thinking" it and realize that there are just many different symptoms for everyone, depending on a lot of other individual issues. Ablation, like all surgeries, works better for some people than others and also depends a lot on the surgeon. I hope I am of the "30-yearers" (I am 64 now, but have a mother who's 95 and aunt who's 100), because financially it is not feasible and if it was very necessary down the road and I had to rely on Medicare (which I am not sure even covers it), I would probably not get the best doctors.

Latrogenia, I have been to 3 cardiologists and they all just put me on drugs. They all seemed ignorant about afib and also not very interested, which is why I started researching it and found this wonderful site! I will continue on my supplements and (struggle) to change my diet and when I go back to a doctor I will insist my Primary refer me to the UCLA Cardiac Arrhythmia Center (which he never mentioned! and I heard about from someone on this site!).

Thank you all very much for your patience and continued input. Also, Latrogenia, I remember when you were getting ready for your ablation with Dr. Hao. How are you now?

Louise
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login