Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taurine - reminders of importance

Posted by Jackie 
Taurine - reminders of importance
September 18, 2013 10:53AM
In my recent (annual) metabolic profile analysis (NutraEval by Genova Diagnostics), urinary taurine was flagged as elevated. Whenever a nutrient is out of range, the test results include comments regarding causes and suggestions for correction.

For those supplementing with taurine, it’s natural to have the elevated excretion. What the test helps find is a systemic dysfunction such as renal wasting which would then contribute to other health issues.

In the explanations of why taurine is important… the following notations apply to those prone to arrhythmia –
(I continue to use the Essential Trio as routine since my ablation almost 10 years ago).

- Deficient taurine may result in increased cellular calcium and sodium and reduced magnesium.

- Taurine is sparing of magnesium globally.

- Urinary magnesium wasting can result from taurine insufficiency.

- Magnesium deficiencies may cause fatigue, depression, muscle tremor, hypertension… and arrhythmia

- Taurine functions as an antioxidant.

- Decreased taurine may lead to increased inflammatory response to toxins, foreign proteins and xenobic chemicals including aldehydes, alcohols, amines, petroleum solvents and chlorine or chlorite (bleach)

- Taurine assists neurotransmitter functions and strongly influences neuronal concentrations and activities of GABA and glutamic acid.

- Pathologies contributed to taurine insufficiency
Biliary insufficiency
Fat malabsorption (steatorrhea)
Cardiac arrhythmia
Congestive heart failure poor vision
Retinal degeneration granulomatous disorder of neutrophils
Immune dysfunction
Enhanced inflammatory responses to xenobiotics
Convulsions, Seizures

FYI
Jackie
Anonymous User
Re: Taurine - reminders of importance
September 22, 2013 08:00PM
I am in permenant Afib..Should I be taking Taurine? I've never taken it before..and is there a magnesium pill that I should be taking that isn't the size of a horse pill?? I just take the 'Nature Made' tablets, easy to swallow..I have trouble with the large caps...
Thanks a lot.......Nel
September 23, 2013 09:42AM
Hi Nel - there are a number of magnesium brands that use capsules rather than the large, hard tablets. Capsules are much easier to swallow...especially so if you drink a bit of water first... then add the capsule... then add more water to wash down. Do one at a time so you get complete clearance out of your throat but if your throat isn't 'lubricated' with water first, they tend to get log-jammed.

Look at Hans’ web vitamin link for Magnesium glycinate by Doctor's Best... or Bluebonnet brands which are both the chelated version in capsules rather than tablet form. Magnesium is very important for not only heart function but many other functions in the body as well…and it’s not easy to get your body's daily requirement from food.

You can add taurine to your supplement regimen for all of the health reasons mentioned in this post and even more benefits -- read here:
…[www.afibbers.org]

The Taurine powdered form is easy to use. It’s tasteless. I just take some of the powder and chew to moisten and then wash down with water. Again – check Hans vitamin link…. NOW brand taurine powder. ¼ teaspoon of powder = 1,000 mg.

Hope this helps.
Best to you,
Jackie
Anonymous User
September 23, 2013 07:49PM
Thanks Jackie,
The thing is, I can take the tablets with no problem, but I can't even take a multi vit. in the capsule, I've choked sometimes so I started getting the Multi that is called petite and you take 2 of them. I realize they have no magnesium though..and I also take the krill oil instead of the fish oil as I can't swallow the fish oil, just won't go down. I must have a small throat..
We have a couple of Vit. Nutrition stores near me, so I'll read up on Han's report you sent first and if need be I'll go there and see what they have..
Lot of the things you wrote are problems I have had and still have.
Thanks again Jackie......Take care.....Nel
September 24, 2013 09:37AM
Nel - Years ago, one of the aifbbers had multiple chemical sensitivity... MCS... and she didn't tolerate the material in capsules...so she dumped out all the capsules and added to something benign... like unsweetened applesauce. That was the only way she could tolerate supplements. You may want to consider doing that. Additionally, you could ask around to see if any practitioners in your area will give you the Intramuscular injections of magnesium...that's what she did in order to get her levels high enough to help with the afib... even after ablation, she had problems if she didn't get the IM injections regularly.

Just a thought for you.

Jackie
Anonymous User
September 24, 2013 07:53PM
Thanks jackie,
I see my GP tomorrow, I ask him about it..He seems to know a lot about Vit. and etc..
Sure would hate to have to make a trip for injections, I seem to spend so many days in Drs. offices now...I wonder what magnesium taste like??
Thanks again........blessings....Nel
Anonymous User
September 26, 2013 10:42PM
Jackie, when I mentioned Taurine to my GP, he was really curious about it, he went out and got his lap top and was looking it up and reading to me all the things that it could help me with and he was real excited about it, and he said "Go for it"...sooo, I think I will try the powder form like you take...As for the Magnesium, he seemed to think what I was taking was fine..
Thank you so much.......Nel
Sam
September 27, 2013 10:37AM
Just a point about your Magnesium. Check the ingredients on the label.

I think you'll find Nature Made Mag contains Magnesium Oxide. The body can only absorb about 4% of this which means it is almost useless.

By contrast Mag Citrate and Glycinate (the best, as Jackie says) have an absorption rate of 80% - 90% - a huge difference.
September 27, 2013 11:31AM
Nel - That's refreshing to have a GP actually take the time to check on Taurine! As Sam mentions...check the labeling of your magneisum...

Be aware that the citrate form, while very absorbable, doesn't stay in the tissue very long and in elevated dosing causes bowel tolerance issues...whereas, the amino acid chelated version... magnesium glycinate... does not because it is bound to a protein.

Good luck with your experiment... let us know.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login