Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

rarely mention of anticoagulants

Posted by Kakora 
rarely mention of anticoagulants
September 16, 2013 11:46AM
Have not read too many people talking about using anticoagulants along with or without their afib drugs (rate/rhythm). I have read of some people taking post ablation for a few months but little about people on long-term. I am on PIP rhythmol but on xarelto daily since June 2013. I have recently had some gum bleeding for no reason and only from one tooth, and stops as quickly as it starts, so perhaps it is just the gum/tooth and not the med--(dental follow up few weeks). Please give info, opinions etc. Thanks, all.

(I had added 81mg aspirin (for platelet aggregation) but stopped after 2 days, still thinking this over)

Karen
Re: rarely mention of anticoagulants
September 16, 2013 08:34PM
K -- Does insurance fully cover Xarelto?

/L
September 17, 2013 10:40AM
Karen, if you search Pradaxa you will see many posts about anticoagulants. Try Xarelto also. Louise
September 17, 2013 09:51PM
Hi karen - I had an ablation about 10 days ago, and am on a lower dose of Flecainide, and Xarelto. I have had a few cuts on my hand (broke some glass while cleaning...), and it was no big deal. Just needed to hold the bandaid on a little longer than usual to slow the bleeding down. I also have ocassional gum bleeding, but did also before taking Xarelto.

I am not taking aspirin too, as I think that is too much blood thinning. You might want to check with our dr. on that. As Xarelto is so new, it seems there isn't a whole lot of information on what you can or can't take with it....

Good luck ~ Barb
September 18, 2013 12:11AM
My insurance covers the xarelto with a co-pay; there is a coupon that the company will refund co-pays over $10.00, so so far it has been very reasonable.

I have not taken the aspirin. Same tooth/gum spontaneous bleeding past 3-4 days; calling who tomorrow? doctor? dentist?
Glad there are people taking without a problem.

Is pradaxa safer as far as bleeding problems?

thanks
Karen
September 18, 2013 08:34AM
Karen,

I don't think Pradaxa is safer. Dr. Natale told me he wouldn't prescribe Pradaxa because he had "issues with it." He preferred Xeralto or warfarin. Although my insurance covers Xeralto I'm taking warfarin. At least there is an antidote.

Betty
September 21, 2013 05:08PM
My dad took a bad fall last year. If he were on one of the new blood thinners he would not have survived. He was on Warfarin (for 40 years) and they administered the antidote immediately and saved his life. Period. End of story.

I will take nothing but Warfarin (Coumidin) and have my INR checked monthly at the lab, along with things like Creatinine (as I am on TIKOSYN), Potassium, Sodium, etc. All covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan 100%. I try to keep my INR in the 2.5 range. I posted what I take in terms of supplements and meds on here some time ago. I should say that since going with the EAT TO LIVE diet (vegetarian) my blood sugars dropped, my weight is dropping, my hypertension is gone and the medications associated with pretty much everything is almost gone completely. Amazing that what we ingest can make such a dramatic difference and so quickly.

Invariably, the discussion of anticoagulants turns into a matter of personal preference and how much inconvenience one is willing to undergo versus safety (i.e. Warfarin versus the rest). I intend to stick to Warfarin - my EP's Rx Warfarin and the GP is to monitor same along with Creatinine, Potassium, etc. For those without drug plans I imagine that Warfarin is a whole lot cheaper than the new stuff as well.

As they say, each to their own.... just make it an educated decision.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login