Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Xarelto and aspirin

Posted by Kakora 
Xarelto and aspirin
September 13, 2013 04:13PM
(as you may know) I was recently diagnosed in April 2013 with Afib. I have had Type 1 DM almost 32 yrs, pumper x 15+ yrs. I had been taking 81 mg aspirin for at least 15 yrs--no fail; now with this Afib, the cardiologist has prescribed Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), stop aspirin. Endocrinologist ARNP says, same, no aspirin, as there would be no need. I went to 2 different Electro Physiologists and I posed this question to them--does the Xarelto also protect from platelet aggregation and help prevent those microvascular clots. One said no need for aspirin and the other said the actions are two different things and there is not enough evidence about the Xarelto as a platelet inhibitor. He felt that it would be ok to take the 81 mg aspirin and left it up to me to decide. Says he has people using 2 or 3 varioius anticoags depending on conditons. ( I am on p-i-p rhythmol) Well, damn, don't want a stroke from Afib, but don't want any MI either (I know nothing is guaranteed) So anyone else in the same boat?
Anonymous User
Re: Xarelto and aspirin
September 16, 2013 10:52PM
Well, my Cardio just has me on 81 Aspirin now after I went through what I did with Coumadin. Bleeding all inside and in the hospital for a month..was terrible..so I'm hoping aspirin is enough. I do eat lot of greens, so hope it makes up for it..Luck to all.......Nel
September 17, 2013 09:56PM
I'm thinking no one is really sure...as it is a fairly new drug... I was taking a heart health supplement that had gingko biloba in it, and was encourgaed to stop it while on Xarelto. Didn't like doing that, as it had a lot of good stuff to protect the heart and also against platelet aggregation - but I did stop it as I also don't want to create a bleeding problem...

Will be happy to get off this stuff asap. But I know it's going to be at least 4-6 months before I get the OK on that....

Sorry I don't have an answer for you....hopefully someone else on here does. ~ Barb
September 18, 2013 07:22PM
I was told by Steven Hao NOT to take aspirin with Xarelto.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login