Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Home from Natale ablaton

Posted by tobherd 
Home from Natale ablaton
September 06, 2013 08:57PM
Hello everyone! Well yes I did indeed finally get my ablation done with Dr. Natale. It was a little more involved than I thought it would be, but I knew that was a possibility as I have had Afib for over 10 years. When Dr. Natale came back in my room to talk with me, I did try to record him (per Shannon's great suggestion), but I didn't push the right button on the phone....needless to say, with his heavy accent and explanation that made sense to him but not as much to me - I'm not exactly sure just what he did. I believe that he said 2 of my pulmonary veins were completely silent, and most of the activity was in the right ...?? And that he had to do some work in my left atrial appendage. That sounded scary to me, as I think that could mean further work is likely..... Also at Shannon's suggestion, I called to ask for a copy of the Ablation report to be sent to me, so i can have a clearer idea of just what was done.

He indicated that they might need to do a touchup later, but will see how I do. I am on Xarelto for 6 months, 12.5 mg. of Atenolol, and 100 mg. BID of Flecainide for 2 months. Also taking Lasik and potassium right now to get rid of the excessive fluid that was given to me during the procedure. Was a little surprised that I would stil be on Flecainide and also taking Xarelto for that long, but maybe because he had to do some work in the LAA??

I had a bad backache afterwards which seems to be getting a bit better now, and of course, the chest pain on taking a big breath. Because of both of those things, I had almost no sleep last night in the hospital. Glad to be home now and expecting each day to be better.

Hoping for a smooth ride after this. I appreciate all of your good wishes and prayers. THANK YOU ~ Barb
Re: Home from Natale ablaton
September 06, 2013 10:45PM
Hey Barb,
Welcome back and glad you're doing well. Yes 10 years is a long time but at least you had it done. Taking Flec is normal protocol during the blanking period. Taking it for 2 months is actually a short time usually it's for three months during the blanking period. But Dr Natale believes any afib after the 2 months will require a touch-up not the standard three month blanking period as he told me in his vast patient experience.

As for the 6 month Xarelto time frame it might be because of the work he did in the LAA, the standard time is 3 month unless your CHADS score is high. Evidently he must have found "maybe" lots of activity there but he really doesn't like to get aggressive there the first go round unless he has to.

I had lots of activity in my Coronary Sinus but none in my LAA. During my 2 month followup he told me there's over a 90% chance any further afib or flutter from now on will require work in my LAA as he just doesn't see much PV reconnections anymore. Also the anesthesia seems to surpress activity in the LAA as another reason he might not have found any during my ablation. I didn't have much fibrosis either which is probably the reason he feels confident of his durable ablation lines.

I just hit the 1 year mark on Xeralto today and don't know when I'm coming off. Too be honest with you I'm not that anxious to come off it yet even though my ablation May 28 has been a success so far holding me in NSR since my ECV at day 30 for flutter. Im off Multaq too now for 2 weeks.

Rest up and don't worry,

McHale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2013 10:57PM by McHale.
September 07, 2013 07:34AM
Barb,

Congratulations on your ablation!!!!! My post procedure protocol is similar excluding the flec, I was on 12.5 atenolol (which I just got off of at 8 weeks post procedure) and I am also on Xarelto for up to six months and he didn't have to do any work on my LAA.

Relax and take some time to heal, from this point on you should be feeling better by the day.

KenH
September 07, 2013 10:21AM
Barb,

Congratulations! Best wishes for you!

George
September 07, 2013 10:27AM
Hello Barb - Good to see you are home and doing well -- which is not surprising.
Pamper yourself and your heart. Rest as much as you need to so your heart can heal.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login