Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has Anyone Used Trimethylglycine?

Posted by Windstar 
Has Anyone Used Trimethylglycine?
August 19, 2013 10:14PM
For the last two months, I have had PACs and hard heart beats off and on for hours every day. My nutritionist discovered that I was low in all the B vitamins and that my homocysteine was greatly elevated. He prescribed large doses of B6, folate, and B12, along with normal doses of all rest of the B vitamins. My PACs have decreased significantly after only one week on this protocol. However, on my upcoming visit, he wants to consider putting me on trimethylglycine (TMG). Has anyone used this?

I did some research and it sounds impressive. Below are some excerpts from an article by Dr. L. Wilson regarding TMG. [drlwilson.com]

Nancy M

"Trimethylglycine or TMG is a recent, exciting and rather amazing addition to all nutritional balancing supplement programs. TMG is a vitamin-like substance and is a methyl donor, chemically speaking, although it also has other beneficial effects.

TMG is also called betaine because it was first isolated from sugar beets. It is not the same as betaine hydrochloride, however. I now add it to most programs, in doses of 500-1000 mg daily. Most people seem to need it and benefit greatly from it. It does not seem to interfere with the rest of a nutritional balancing program, which is very unusual. Those who need it the most tend to be:
1. Anyone who is having difficulty with a nutritional balancing program.
2. All slow oxidizers.
3. All those in a four lows pattern.
4. All those with a low Na/K ratio."

" Many people do not make enough TMG today. The reason appears to be the presence of certain toxic metals. In addition, stress, infections, inflammation and other disease conditions may use up what the body makes, so more is needed." Wilson explains that mercury and copper toxicity interfere with the body's ability to make TMG, and most of us have way too much of both metals.

"A powerful and safe methyl donor. TMG easily donates three methyl groups to the body. Methyl groups (CH3) are required in millions of biochemical reactions. Here are some examples:

1. Lowering homocysteine. Homocysteine is an amino acid that, in excess, is irritating to the arteries and is strongly associated with inflammation and hardening of the arteries. In fact, the level of homocysteine correlates much better with heart disease than the level of cholesterol.

Doctors are beginning to realize this important link. High homocysteine occurs when there is not enough TMG or folic acid to donate enough methyl groups. There can be other causes, but this is the major cause. As explained earlier, a deeper cause for this is the presence of mercury and copper toxicity, which are almost universal. However, the problem can be solved with a diet high in TMG and folate, or a TMG or folate supplement. One does not need both in most cases.

High homocysteine, however, causes many other problems. It causes a deficiency of methionine, and this, in turn, can cause a deficiency of SAMe, causing depression in some people. Methionine is also needed for other biochemical reactions involving protein synthesis, another critical body function. In fact, reducing excessive homocysteine helps with conditions ranging from osteoporosis and birth defects to cancer and aging. It also helps with antioxidant protection, as well.

#2. Helping with liver detoxification. Methyl groups are absolutely essential for the Phase 2, P450 liver detoxification pathway. Within this critical biochemical sequence of events, fat-soluble or otherwise poorly soluble toxins that are difficult for the liver to remove are joined to a methyl group, and this helps prepare them for removal from the body. This is an amazing and vital ability that in most people does not work well enough in our very toxic world.

Specifically, the methylation reactions enables toxins to become much more soluble in water. This allows the body to remove the toxins much better, and it often neutralizes some of their toxic properties, as well. These toxins include all of the toxic metals in many forms and compounds, as well as hundreds of toxic chemicals. Much more could be written about this amazing system and how critical it is today for our health. This is the main benefit of TMG supplementation, I believe.

#3. Alleviating depression. TMG increases the body’s natural production of SAMe or S-adenosyl methionine. This chemical can help reduce depression in some cases, and is an expensive supplement if one wishes to take it. So it is far better to just take TMG.

#4. Reducing the chances of diabetes. Methyl groups are involved in insulin release and insulin activity. When the body does not have enough active methyl groups, diabetes is far more likely to arise.

#5. Avoiding genetic problems. Methyl groups are needed for protein synthesis, also called biosynthesis. This is the copying of our genetic code from the DNA to RNA, and then from there the formation of every chemical in our bodies. It is also called genetic transcription.

Without enough TMG, biosynthesis can slow down, telomeres can shorten, and genetic errors, also called transcription errors, multiply, and health is definitely worse."
Re: Has Anyone Used Trimethylglycine?
August 19, 2013 11:17PM
Yep I've used TMG a lot for borderline high Homocysteine that did not respond to normal supplemental doses of folic acid, B12 and B6 ... Like so many of us with Scotch/ Irish decent, I lack the methyl donor gene that converts folic acid into 5 MTHF which the body requires to detox homocysteine among many other metabolic processes.

Taking larger dose injections of B12, P5P and folate or large 5mg to 10mg doses of oral 5MTHF directly are often needed to get homocysteine down below 8 in the optimal range of 4 to 7. Especially, if you have a defect in the MTHFR gene.

Trimethylglycine can certainly help in the effort, especially if you have a decent MTHFR gene expression and is worth trying for sure.

Shannon
August 20, 2013 10:18AM
Yes, Nancy - TMG is in my B protocols, I've used it for years with no sensitivities or problems whatsoever.

Jackie
August 20, 2013 11:04AM
Is beet root extract a good way to get betaine?

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
August 20, 2013 11:12AM
Hi Iatrogenia,

While beet root extract may supply some beta one, its very cheap to buy betaine tablets or capsules that combine 600mg of Betaine with Pepsin in the right complementary amount to help with both methyl donor action and to address hypo-chloridia (low hydrochloric acid production) ... Just take it at the start of protein containing meals.

Also if you are looking for alternatives to betaine pills, consider organic apple cider vinegar from pretty much the same effect.

Shannon
August 20, 2013 11:26AM
Interesting -- I took a little apple cider vinegar in water just last night for digestion. I think it worked fine!

I've got the MTHFR mutation, thanks for this tip that might help me compensate for it.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
August 20, 2013 12:21PM
Shannon,

Very interesting about lacking the methyl donor gene that converts folic acid into 5 MTHF since you are of Scottish decent. My mother was Scottish--born in Glasgow, Scotland. She had atherosclerosis and heart disease and died at the age of 64 while undergoing 8-way by-pass surgery. Perhaps she was lacking the gene and has passed that on to me.

How does one test for this missing gene?

Jackie,
Thanks for letting me know that you take TMG and that it is safe. That makes me feel much better about trying it.

I read that it is essential to make sure that one's folic acid and B12 are sufficient since TMG reduces one's folic acid. "Dr. Bernard Rimland’s experience indicates a need of two 800 mcg folic acid tablets with each 125 mg tablet of DMG. Therefore, if you use a typical capsule of 500 mg of TMG, then you would need approximately four 800 mcg folic acid tablets to balance the DMG that this much TMG creates. Again, balance is important. Hugh Fudenberg, MD cautions that the folic acid should be balanced with B12.Otherwise you may notice symptoms of hyperactivity."

" An approximate conversion factor when using TMG instead of DMG is found in this article from Kirkman Labs. They state, TMG converts one of these harmful chemicals, toxic homocysteine into methionine. It also boosts the level of beneficial SAMe and then becomes DMG (Dimethylglycine). It takes approximately 250mg of TMG to naturally produce 125 mg of DMG.”

[www.kirkmanlabs.com]

How much TMG do you take, and how much folic acid and B12 do you take with it to balance it?

Thanks much.
Nancy M
August 20, 2013 01:39PM
Hi Nancy,

You can also just take directly 5-Methyl-Tetra-HydroFolate (5-MTHF) in large enough doses as this is hte reduced form of Folic acid and will work fine even if you lack the MTHFR gene, and it is offered by many supplement companies such as Life Extension.

Most functional medicine docs can get you the 5mg to 10mg dosage forms. Start slowly with the larger doses and makje sure you can handle it well, which means you need the extra amount. some people who don't require the larger amounts can get a little wired from the 5mg or larger dose of 5MTHF. But if you need it, taking these larger doses can truly work wonders on your overall health including vastly improving neurotransmitter production and function at the synaptic junction of key neurons.

Cheers!
Shannon
August 20, 2013 02:53PM
Shannon, I think you mean start with the lower dosages.

As Nancy has already demonstrated sensitivity to B vitamins, which can be activating (I suffer from this, too), I would suggest the more indirect route of boosting B vitamins with betaine or apple cider vinegar, improving absorption, rather than taking large amounts of B vitamins in any form.

August 21, 2013 12:55PM
All,

Designs for Health has a supplement, "Homocysteine Supreme," that contains 500mg of TMG plus supporting nutrients per dose (2 caps). Dunno what the experts here would think of it. The ingredients:

Vitamin B2.......50 mg
(as Riboflavin-5-Phosphate)
Vitamin B6.......50 mg
(as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride 40 mg; Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate 10 mg)
Folates (NatureFolate blend) 2 mg
Folinic Acid 400 mcg
(as 5-Formyl tetrahydrofolate)
Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin).......1000 mcg
Zinc (TRAACS? Zinc Glycinate Chelate)..... 5 mg
Magnesium (TRAACS? Magnesium LYSYL Glycinate Chelate)....10 mg
Trimetylglycine (TMG).......500 mg
Choline.......100 mg
Serine .......100 mg
N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC).......100 mg

--Lance
August 21, 2013 05:30PM
Lance -

That’s a great product. I’ve used it for a long time and my FM MD has me add more of the L-5MTHF (the good form of folate) so that I get milligrams rather than micrograms of folate. I use the Homocysteine Supreme in addition to their B complex plus the sublingual B12 Lozenges… 5,000 mcg of methylcobalamin and take extra TMG as well. I take all before noon so I it doesn't affect sleep.

Jackie
August 21, 2013 08:44PM
Wow, Jackie, that sounds like a good protocol for methylation protection! I'm currently on the DFH B Supreme and hope to start the DFH Homocysteine Supreme tomorrow when I see my nutritionist. But I'd like to tell him about the other products you take too.

What brand of B12 lozenges do you use?

What brand of L-5MTHF do you use, and how much?

Thanks for all you do for us! You are a powerhouse of wisdom and knowledge!

Blessings,
Nancy
August 21, 2013 09:02PM
Nancy - Last year, my NutrEval metabolic profile evaluations indicated I needed a bit of help with methylation. I had always used the B Supreme and the Homocysteine Supreme but we added the others for increased impact. They are all DFH. but there are other brands that work well too as long as the forms are the same. For the L-5 MTHF...I use 3 - 4 capsules a day.

I'll receive my latest NutrEval profile on Monday so hopefully, I've made progress.

B vitamins are so very essential for anyone with stress... is there anyone who doesn't have some level of stress these days?

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login