Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Timing of mammogram and ablation...does it matter?

Posted by tobherd 
Timing of mammogram and ablation...does it matter?
August 18, 2013 12:01PM
Not sure any of the guys will know the answer to this, but...I am due for my mammography around now, but also have an upcoming ablation scheduled for Sept. 5th. Does it matter if I have this done soon after my ablation, or is that a bad idea? I'm dealing with my husband's lung cancer treatments right now, the upcoming ablation, and sure don't need another medical thing to worry about. However, I don't want to be remiss either...

Of course, I've had almost no Afib in weeks, making me go back to questioning the need to get the ablation done now... While I don't get alot of breakthroughs on Flecainide, I do usually get 1-2 short ones/week. Lately...none. I almost wonder if my body realizes I have enough to deal with, with my husband's sitatuation and is giving me a break!

Anyway, back to the mammogram...is that too much radiation in too short of time?

Thanks ~ Barb
Re: Timing of mammogram and ablation...does it matter?
August 19, 2013 02:41PM
Barb,

My AFIB seemed to quiet down as I got closer to my ablation date also and I had the same thought go through my head but realized nothing has changed and it was going to come back the way it always does.

Sorry, I can't respond to the mammogram question.

KenH
August 19, 2013 11:11PM
I think I've read that before, that people often have their Afib quiet down as they near their ablation date. Kind of like a car...when you bring it into the mechanic, it seems to be working fine! Not sure what that's all about...

How are you feeling now, Ken? Better I hope?

Barb
August 20, 2013 04:08PM
Barb,

I am feeling good, it has been seven weeks and my heart hasn't even had a pvc or pac that I have noticed never mind any AFIB so I am very happy. I have some reflux issues since the procedure, I should have stayed on the nexium longer after the procedure so I started it up again yesterday to help get rid of the dry cough that I have been dealing with since the procedure.

Ken
August 20, 2013 09:37PM
Ken - that's great news! So glad you are doing well. I'm sorry but I don't remember how often you were getting Afib before your ablation.... and if you were on Flec or any other antiarrythmic.

I am almost hoping for more Afib episodes as the date gets closer as I feel myself chickening out since my heart has been so calm lately....

Barb
August 20, 2013 10:22PM
I am almost hoping for more Afib episodes as the date gets closer as I feel myself chickening out since my heart has been so calm lately....

For how long has it been calm?
I had 6 months of 'Calm" using Iodine but then it (AF) came back "HARD"
Just do it
IMO, etc etc your choice
August 20, 2013 11:11PM
afhound99 - I'm not sure. My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer in late June, and I feel like I haven't had much - if any, real breakthroughs since then. I am on Flecainide but have had breakthroughs 1-3 times/week over the past year or more? Should've kept better records...

Are you on any meds for Afib now?

Barb
August 22, 2013 05:05PM
Barb, no meds since ablation. Before that Flec+Diltiziam as a PIP only but Flec always converted it. I am terribly sorry about your husband's lung cancer. My father died of it at age 52 BUT that was back in England in 1970 when they had far fewer options.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login