Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

big Pradaxa leap

Posted by StephenL 
big Pradaxa leap
August 14, 2013 03:12PM
Of interest:

Worries about serious side effects, after reports of bleeding-related deaths, don't appear to be holding the drug back much, either; Boehringer says the stats bear out the numbers seen in clinical trials, but some doctors have grown wary because the drug so far lacks a proven, fast-acting antidote.

[www.fiercepharma.com]

Stephen
Sam
Re: big Pradaxa leap
August 15, 2013 05:22AM
My GP recently told me that as a young Doctor his Tutor used to say, when a new drug came on the market, "Quick! Prescribe it before its effectiveness wears off!"

He was referring to the fact that a very large number of drugs are soon shown to be not nearly as good as was originally claimed.

Sadly quite a few have been later found to be harmful or even fatal.

Sam
Re: big Pradaxa leap
August 15, 2013 02:52PM
Sam,

I agree. But, the FDA is indeed a culprit:

But don’t expect to hear this reported on the news, or even buried on page 15 of your hometown newspaper. I predict no
major news outlet will touch it because the media can’t survive without drug company advertising.

Nevertheless, it’s a newsworthy national disgrace, shared by our frighteningly inept FDA.

It’s time for the FDA to step back, review these numbers and recognize what the fast-tracking, over-prescribing, drugs-at-all-costs mentality is doing to the people it is supposed to be protecting. Or that number will surely jump exponentially in the next decade too.

[hsionline.com]

Stephen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login