Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib cause - Lax Lower Esophageal Sphincter

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Afib cause - Lax Lower Esophageal Sphincter
July 08, 2013 11:56AM
I believe this to be a major cause of Afib episodes - I have certainly found it to be possibly the main cause for me.

I've improved things by taking half a teaspoon of Baking Soda in water at bedtime and taking a flask to put beside the bed and drink a small amount when I wake up - which for me is two or three times a night.

Of course this doesn't solve the basic problem - how to strengthen the LES.

Any suggestions would be helpful for many of us. I've tried a few supplements but the only one I remember at the moment is Aloe Vera. It, like the others I tried made things worse.

Thanks

Sam
Re: Afib cause - Lax Lower Esophageal Sphincter
July 09, 2013 01:39AM
Sam could you describe this condition in a little more detail? What it feels like, especially when you lay down, and what you know about LES.

I wonder if exercise on a rebounder would help. As I move into this new phase of life and look at gently getting back into shape while avoiding the afib triggers, I intend to incorporate one or two five minute sessions per day on the rebounder into my life. There are allegedly benefits to the lymph system plus lots of other benefits from this rather gentle exercise, and perhaps there could be some benefit to the condition you describe. I just awoke in the hospital the morning after my second ablation, pondering how I am going to get off the Nexium and keep that afib trigger point at the moment I lay down from occurring, and your question seems to have some relevancy to my condition.
Sam
July 09, 2013 05:20AM
Ron'

The LES is the muscle that keeps the top of the stomach closed. When it's lax, weak, stomach contents can easily come up into the Oesophagus causing acid reflux.

This happens more easily when lying down or bending over, especially soon after a meal. I can feel acid in the oesophagus when bending over even two hours or more after eating.

Sadly I have found no exercise that can strengthen the muscle though some supplements are claimed to help - Aloe Vera seems to help some (but not me).

I've bought d-limonene which has been highly recommended and am working up the courage (I react badly to quite a few supplements.) to try it.

Sam
July 15, 2013 02:49PM
Hi Ron,

I too have a lax LES and am presently having trouble with PACs all day, every day, as a result. At first, my nutritionist said my LES was stuck open because I had food allergies, so we cleared all of those and the problem didn't go away. Then we tried chiropractic adjustments (4 over the next 4 months), and that didn't help. Then we tried several cold laser treatments, and that didn't help. Next, he thought that my HCl was low, so we supplemented with HCl, and that didn't close the LES. Then he found out I had H.pylori, so we cured that, but the LES stayed 87% open. Now, he says it does close, but it is very slow. I have burning in my esophagus, throat, and tongue off and on (ususally on) throughout the day. Now, because of all my digestion problems, my magnesium is not being absorbed through my gut, so I have PACs. I even tried the trick of drinking a quart of water, raising on tiptoes, and landing hard on my heels to try to get the LES to close (done that 3 times), but to no avail. I've read there are no exercises that will help. The only solution seems to be an expensive surgery, but I'm not at a point where I'm willing to do that yet. We have raised the head of our bed six inches so I can sleep without getting any reflux. That would be helpful if you haven't done that.

You might explore some of the above problems to see if you might have low HCl, for example. Though that didn't help me, it might help you. Lots of people have low HCl and don't know it.

Wishing you blessings and healing,
Windstar (Nancy M0
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login