Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calling All U.K. Afibbers!

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Calling All U.K. Afibbers!
June 18, 2013 10:22AM
We've had quite a few detailed accounts of ablations recently, mostly in Bordeaux or with Dr Natale.

I've found them all interesting and useful and what I'd like to see now are similar accounts of those who've had ablations in the U.K.

Who did the operation? How did you get referred to them? What method was used? Did you go private or N.H.S.? What was your post-op consultation like & and was there more than one? What medications were you on before the op and for how long? Give detailed information on the op. What meds after the op and for how long? What consultations did you have afterwards? Etc.! Etc.!

I realise this is asking you to spend quite a bit of time typing - not my favourite occupation - but for those who can't go to Bordeaux or the States it would be very useful imformation.

Thank you

Sam
Re: Calling All U.K. Afibbers!
June 18, 2013 11:21AM
Sam

Like you I live in the U.K. and I am keen to hear from any one who has experience of an ablation here. I am afraid for me it will have to be N.H.S.(unless I win the lottery)!

When I was looking for an E.P. I rang the A.F.A. and they were very helpful. They also have a list of the doctors that do ablations --Prof. Schilling was the first name mentioned as the best but they also mentioned a Mark Earley as being excellent.

My A.F. episodes are really troublesome now. I went on to Flec but it isn't working very well and doesn't really suit me so I'm trying to .convince myself that I need to take the next step. I am keen to read your replies. What a pain this Atrial Fib. is to us all.

Good luck

Siri
Re: Calling All U.K. Afibbers!
June 21, 2013 05:35PM
Hi there I'm a UK afibber, here's my story:

Five years ago I had my first episode and ended up in the ER at Medway Maritime hospital. By the time they got me down to the ER it had stopped then 2nd time months later same again but they managed to capture it on the ECG. I was told to go to my GP who referred me to a cardiologist , duly went was given the once over and all tests revealed - nothing - perfectly sound heart - cardiologist said I'd be unlucky if I had another episode and took me off the atenolol the ER prescribed.

Several months later -unlucky! - back to ER then back to GP who referred me to the local arrhythmia clinic who told me to go onto Bisoprolol 1.25mg , at the time I was reluctant to having found this website and starting to try the strategy and some supplements. Eventually I did try the Bisoprolol for 3 months and hated the way it made me feel they did not help with episodes except dull them a little and turned me into a cold footed zombie, I'm not good with drugs of any sort and am very sensitive (I get Raynauds in one finger in the winter) can't even take Anadin extra ! I weaned myself off the Bisoprolol and stuck to the strategy.

Fast forward a year or so and I had to have CBT to help with my anxiety as the episodes were getting more frequent and lasted from 2 to 6 hours, the therapy and the supplements helped and I no longer worried too much about them.

Gradually though they ended up being one a week and my resting heart rate dropped to 50bpm. I'd had enough ! Went back to my GP (new lady doc) who referred me back to the cardiologist. Saw a new cardiologist at Medway Maritime a lovely chap called Sanjeep Ghandi who listened to my concerns and did not poo poo my knowledge gleaned from the Internet and this site. He told me I had 2 ways to go - more drugs or the ablation, I listened and decided ablation so he referred me to Dr Rinaldi at St Thomas in London. I had originally wanted Prof Schilling but he persuaded me that Dr Rinaldi was a well known and very good EP, I did some research and liked what I found, his team in London have a good bit of interaction with the Bordeaux team and have also done some training with them. At that point I decided to use my private healthcare and I was seen very quickly. Dr Rinaldi was indeed wonderful and listened to my story before explaining all the risks attached to an ablation and gave me the opportunity to change my mind but I had already decided having weighed up my situation and armed with info from this site. I went back to my GP to be put onto Warfarin for 4 weeks whilst I awaited the ablation date which was confirmed very quickly for the fifth week barring any probs with my INR.

My ablation was done mid-May by Dr Rinaldi himself at Harley Street, a TEE and a PVI ablation under general anaesthetic. Took 3 hours. In one morning an overnight and then home the next day after EKG to make sure all OK. I received fantastic care from Dr Rinaldi and everyone involved and was very impresssed. I was very tired the first 2 weeks but have been improving daily and confidence is returning too. See my earlier posts in the past weeks for more details -the migraine aura was odd !

Had my follow up appointment last week with Dr Rinaldi, ECG check and good chat about how i was feeling etc. So far so good no more afib but some weird rhythms in that first week and I still have a fair few missed beats which seem to appear around my old triggers - these may gradually go away but if they get worse i am to go back and see him. Main thing is they no longer set off the afib ! I'm now heading for the 3 month mark in August where he will do a monitor to check alls well and then hopefully take me off the warfarin.

I consider myself lucky not have to rely on any medication except Warfarin, I wonder if that was down to the supplements I took as a result of this site, my afib was never in the high bpm range but just prior to the ablation it was definitely impacting my life, my work and destroying my confidence.

I am very grateful to Dr Rinaldi for his care and attention, I believe I made the best choice for my personal situation and I am very pleased with the result. if I do have to go for a touch up later I will have no qualms (fingers crossed I don't).

Rgds
Heather

PS prior to getting my first afib episode I was slim, very fit, a jogger, swimmer, gym bunny (weights and laughably cardio pump) and weekly aerobics class with a few forays into Zumba.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login