Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scheduled an ablation with Dr Natale!

Posted by DennisC 
Scheduled an ablation with Dr Natale!
June 10, 2013 08:47PM
Dr Natale had a flight delay so I met with his NP Patty and Dr Barrett this AM. I begin xeralto tonight and Friday i will have aTEE. If that is negative then I'll be taken in for a Dr Natale PVI. I was offered another appointment so that I can meet Dr Natale but I choose to do it this way so that I will not have too much time to change my mind. Another appointment would have resulted in a July PVI. I was assured that N will do the ablation himself perhaps assisted by another MD. Ill speak to him on Friday morning befor the ablation. Expect to continue xeralto 4 to 6 weeks post ablation if no af- longer if there is af post ablation. I'm mindful of the radiation i have been exposed to over my lifetime and did not, if possible, want to have a cat scan. No cat scan will be done. I think he said that I may or may not be on a anti arrythmic post ablation. Dr Barrett, NP Patty, and Antonia could not have been more accomodating, and helpful allaying some of my concerns. I will report details post ablation. Dennis

Hey Barb did you get to meet Dr N today?
Re: Scheduled an ablation with Dr Natale!
June 10, 2013 11:35PM
Wow Dennis that was quick! I got a phone call around 7am this morning telling me about his flight delay, so I rescheduled to meet Natale on Wednesday. I have found the woman who handles his appts over the phone (Antonia?) to be very friendly, warm and efficient. A good sign.

What is xeralto? Are you on any anti-arrythmics now? I'm on Flecainide and dread the period when I'll have to wean off of it - I have really needed a high dose to stay in NSR (and even at that, I'm in Afib right now - so I have breakthroughs)...

So glad you got such a speedy appt. I was under the impression there is usually a wait. Once you've decided to get it done, it's probably better to just keep going and get it done!

Please keep us posted. All the best to yousmiling smiley ~ Barb
June 11, 2013 10:25AM
Interesting about the Xarelto. Dr. Hao recommended Xarelto for me, too.

Why might you be on an anti-arrhythmic after?

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
June 11, 2013 11:19AM
Way to go Dennis! Have no fear you're in gifted hands with Dr Natale. When you meet him before your ablation there will be no doubt in your mind of his integrity and professionalism and you will be smiling all the way to the EP lab knowing you have one of the Best!

Good Luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 08:11PM by McHale.
June 11, 2013 02:03PM
Good news Dennis,

Enjoy the ride to NSR...really good that you can get in so quickly like McHale as well. Dr N is getting a slew of 'Afibbers' now.

All the best,
Shannon
June 12, 2013 10:46PM
Dennis - now that I've been in to see Dr. Natale, I have to ask how you could get an appt. that quickly while only being on a blood thinner for a few days? They want me to be on one for a month - so I dont' get it.

Barb
June 13, 2013 12:20AM
Barb, they will do the ablation if you have been on a blood thinner for less than a month, if you have a negative TEE first. That's assuming there is a slot for you in the EP lab.
Betty
June 13, 2013 07:48AM
Thanks for all the well wishes. I have had computer problems since I last posted and not been able to respond. I guess the xeralto question has been answered in s subsequent post. Barb the NP told me the same thing about a month of anticoagulation before an ablation. However DR Barrett came in a said that they would do it as I described above along with a TEE before the proceedure. I assume that I have to be on anti arrythmic meds post ablation due to the trauma the heart suffers during the ablation which can cause af.

I have a lot of anxiety about tomorrow and am this close to cancelling. It's interesting that when I am in bed (awake most of the night) I am faily certain I will postpone the ablation then during the day I feel like I should go for it. There is another overlaying health issue issue that has cropped up and thinking about that on top of the ablation is a lot to sort out without guidance.
June 13, 2013 11:42AM
Yeah, me too, just had a brush with hyponatremia, was in hospital overnight getting saline.

Dr. Hao does the ablation after only a week on Xarelto.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
June 13, 2013 06:15PM
Only you can make that decision Dennis,

But keep in mind you will have to wait a much longer time to get in with Natale again in the future. Nearly everyone has some jitters or second thoughts leading up to any ablation .. unless they procrastinate too long and vacillate like I did until I flipped into very symptomatic 24/7 persistent AFIB. Then I just kicked myself for hemming and hawing too long in spite of what I knew was inevitable by then.

Its amazing the power of waiting too long and going persistent where you cant get out of it anymore has to blow away all our mental chatter and 'what if' projections and clarify the road ahead.

Anyway, good luck to you whatever you decide.
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 06:17PM by Shannon.
June 13, 2013 10:00PM
Thanks Shannon! i have decided today to have the ablation after having a reassuring conversation with Dr Barrett who addressed my concerns. I'm still anxious but not fearful. I am first up in the OR tomorrow. Afterwards I will report as much as I can remember. Dennis
June 14, 2013 02:04AM
Best of luck Dennis,

You are in very good hands!

Shannon
June 26, 2013 01:21PM
Dennis,

What center are you having your procedure at, SF, Austin or NY?
Have you had it done already?
How's it going?

The Best To You,

John
June 26, 2013 07:10PM
Question answered.

Thanks Dennis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login