Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Failsafe and Afib

Posted by williamsonic 
Failsafe and Afib
June 02, 2013 01:23PM
The wealth of information here in these Forums is overwhelming, as is the variety of symptoms and treatments under consideration. This post is to see if it makes sense to connect with the failsafe community. My list of trigger foods includes: onion, broccoli, red wine, toothpaste, citrus fruits, honey, cinnamon, watermelon, cheap candy and pastries, aspirin, etc. I am neither a chemist nor a dietitian, so the only way I can seek a common factor here is by searching the internet. What I've found is that all of these items can contain methyl salicylate or related chemicals, and that there is an active field of research on salicylate sensitivity centered in Australia. In layman's terms, avoidance of salicylates is called the "failsafe diet". It has been challenging to follow, but has also been a great benefit for me since it offers a way to find foods that are unlikely to be triggers. I may be the only one with such a specific reaction, but if would be interesting to hear if anyone else has had success with an avoidance strategy.

59 years old, diagnosed with LAF earlier this year after wearing an event monitor. Symptoms are well-controlled with diet and a beta blocker. May have had occasional symptoms for up to 20 years prior.
Re: Failsafe and Afib
June 03, 2013 09:03AM
Methyl salicylate is used in alot of other products.
Methyl salicylate Overdose.
A lot of stuff to go through.
[www.nlm.nih.gov]
June 03, 2013 10:18AM
Welcome! As you've noted, there are numerous contributors to the underlying causes of afib. Reactions to various foods and substances rank high on the list. Among the top culprits are alcohol, wheat and other gluten-containing grains, sugar, chemical sweeteners and flavor enhancers such as MSG and other hidden forms of free glutamate - even as the result of cooking natural foods. Many people have triggers unique just to their biochemistry.

The key is to isolate out for your personal 'individuality'.that which historically appears to be a trigger and eliminate. Keep a daiily diary of everthing you ingest and note whether your heart is calm or touchy so you can target your culprits.

As an example... alcohol is known to poison or kill heart cells... and it depletes the critical mineral/electrolyte magnesium which the heart depends upon for electrical conduction stability. The same is true for potassium. Sugar and starchy carbs that metabolize quickly to sugar (glucose) has the same effect.

Conference Room Session #61 shares anectdotal testimonials by individuals who have eliminated their AF by sleuthing out their culprits... it's by no means complete as it was compliled a number of years ago and not updated...the list of successes should be quite long by now.

As you mention, the info can be overwhelming. There are key supportive nutrients that you need to be including in your protocol and if there is any history of GI issues, then that's definitely something to get into.

Jackie

Check out these links:

Conference Room 61
[www.afibbers.org]

The Strategy - What Metabolic Cardiology Means to Afibbers
[www.afibbers.org]

Conference Room Session 72
Potassium/Sodium Ratio in Atrial Fibrillation (February 7 - June 11, 2011)
[www.afibbers.org]

Magnesium Absorption
[www.afibbers.org]

Potassium Content of Foods
[www.livestrong.com]

The Gut Connecton of Afib
[www.afibbers.org]
Anonymous User
The List: Re: Failsafe and Afib
June 04, 2013 04:48AM
In my diminished mental condition since my stroke in 2009, i find i will need much more detailed directions than i have so far encountered in order to access The List in the new forum format. No disrespect to those who have provided directions i was unable to follow. That being so, i am quitting making any more List posts. Anybody wants to carry it on, have at it. Sic transit gloria etc. etc.

I am going to try to get my close in garden beds planted. Tomatoes of course, Sungold volunteers this year for sure and maybe beets again, I think, gotta put some flowers in there too. Maybe a line of bean vines right next to the porch? If i get them started right soon now, so they get some growth before the Sungolds get too tall? I wonder if those sunflower volunteers could be used for bean trellises instead of being rooted out like the rootgreedy spacegrabbers they are? Maybe pull them after all and use the dry stalks?

Peggy M
Re: The List: Re: Failsafe and Afib
June 04, 2013 04:45PM
To access "The List"
Click on "Advanced" under the Search button in the upper right part of the page, just below the green bar with the word Phorum in it.

In the box under Search Messages, type in
The List
Click on "all words" right of the box and select "Exact Phrase" instead

At the bottom, are the words: Last 30 days
Click on these words and you should get a drop down box where you can change it to "All Dates"

You can also limit your search by putting PeggyM in the Search Authors box above. Peggy has added the most of these by far. On another search, you can add me, GeorgeN, and run the search again.

"The List" was started by Peggy to track peoples non-surgical and non-drug success stories. CR 61 is a compilation of these stories through December 2007. Peggy authored the compilation. She would add the words "The List" to the subject so it could be found again. The "afib cookbook" works similarly.

Thanks for all that you've done, Peggy!!!

Enjoy your gardening.

George
Sam
Re: The List: Re: Failsafe and Afib
June 05, 2013 05:02AM
Tried that George. Sadly it doesn't work; at least not for me.
June 05, 2013 09:18AM
Sam,

Here is a search for Peggy's The List posts. Unfortunately there can also be posts where the words "the list" happen to occur together, but it works reasonably well. I should note that Peggy's post will be below or after the post she is marking, so you'll have to scroll up to find it:

[www.afibbers.org]

And for my The List posts:
[www.afibbers.org]

Here is an example of a The List post from Peggy:
<[www.afibbers.org];

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login