Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Migraine and afib?

Posted by Heather 
Migraine and afib?
May 23, 2013 12:16PM
Have noticed some unusual migraine aura (zigzagging stars and patches of bright light) since my ablation and actually I had some of these prior as well (blue flashes and blurred focal point lines) - luckily I didn't get the killer headaches just the one sided pain and sensitivity to noise. Just pondering a possible connection with afib, anyone else suffer ?
Anonymous User
Re: Migraine and afib?
May 23, 2013 03:24PM
I have had the Aura Migraines, off and on, since my late teens, I have had more of them the last 10 years. I too don't get the debilitating headaches just the zigzagging lights which last about a 1/2 hr., When I was younger I didn't get the aura migraines too often, more now, even though I take magnesium, which is supposed to help. I have had afib off and on during the last 15 years, I have had the aura migraines before my Afib, so probably not a connection, although I will say that there are several people on this board that have said they also have Afib and aura migraines, so who knows. I know that magnesium may be low in migrainers and in Afibbers, so the connection can be not enough magnesium.
May 24, 2013 07:29AM
I have a family history of ocular migraines, but hadn't experienced one in years prior to my ablation. But, I ended up with a doozy the day after the ablation, and one a week for a month following. That migraine before I was discharged sure got the staff running and brought both the doctor and his PA!

Then, a year later, I had short, minor surgery and had a migraine about a week following that. I began wondering whether it was the anesthesia that was the culprit.

Pat
May 24, 2013 08:57AM
Heather… stress depletes magnesium and certainly an ablation is a huge stressor on the body. I’d be trying to ramp up your magnesium intake not only to help with the migraines but also help with heart cell support during the recovery phase in the ablation aftermath. Also, sometimes just getting rid of the anesthesia chemicals introduced during the procedure takes more clearance time in some people compared to others. These chemicals also deplete magnesium.

I hope that soon, your headaches disappear.

Jackie
May 24, 2013 02:29PM
Thanks all, these are nothing like the horrific migraines of my youth but the new aura I'm finding a little disturbing, hoping they'll calm down once I am feeling 100% again. Thanks for the mag tip Jackie I had upped it slightly but think will go all the way up to tolerance again as my stomach seems to be coping ok with more.

Heart is calm now with no odd rhythms in the past few days just the odd ectopic here and there - looked at my path report yesterday done after the ablation the call outs were:

Low inorganic phosphate
Low protein
High Cholesterol (due to high HDL) LDL = 2.38, HDL = 2.32
Low haematocrit
High MCHC

Potassium was in range but low 3.9, calcium 2.24, sodium 143

Thinking maybe I need to up my B complex/Vit D3 and eat some more potassium foods (and less salt).

Rgds
Heather
May 25, 2013 10:03AM
Heather - on lab ranges, just keep in mind that those are just "average" typical values.. and often the actual level an individual needs or requires can vary considerably. If my serum potassium is as low as 4.1... I'll likely be symptomatic for lots of ectopy or outright AF. My doctor told me to keep my serum potassium around 4.5. Also, as you observe, your sodium is trending to the high side ...especially so in light of the low potassium. I'm sure you'll get that regulated with your food potassium focus. Just give it time, eat well and try to reduce stress as much as possible. Antiinflammatory foods help cool the heart after the burns as well and lower the irritation.
Best to you,
Jackie
Anonymous User
May 25, 2013 02:32PM
Heather:

Apparently the Medical profession is interested in this formula which is said to be helping migraine sufferers, I found it very interesting and also about taking Riboflavin (400mg.)

[www.migrainetreatmentgroup.com]

Liz
May 25, 2013 02:36PM
Looks like ACV on EarthClinic helps a lot of them.
A couple of them talked about Dairy products causing them.
One response about dairy.
I was 27ish, I finally figured out that if I removed gluten and cow-related dairy products from my diet, I no longer had migraines.

[www.earthclinic.com]

Someone should do clinical research on the sodium channel aspect as per migraines, somebody else suggested.
June 08, 2013 02:43AM
Wet Cupping
The efficacy of wet-cupping in the treatment of tension and migraine headache.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Google this ( wet-cupping in the treatment of migraine headache.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login