Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Information, please, about these nutrient tests

Posted by Iatrogenia 
Information, please, about these nutrient tests
May 18, 2013 02:02PM
Hello --

Being new here, I'm trying to catch up with the integrative aspect of LAF treatment.

I see these tests for nutrients being mentioned:

- Exatest
- NutrEval
- Alcat food sensitivity test
- Others??

What do we use these tests for? How often do we need to get them? If they've been discussed elsewhere, links please.

(I apologize for posting, search is not giving me definitive results.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2013 02:03PM by Iatrogenia.
Re: Information, please, about these nutrient tests
May 18, 2013 05:12PM
Yes, extremely useful and a 'must' for afibbers... Exatest has been discussed extensively here in past posts... It's the only true measurement of electrolyte status in heart cells plus the ratio of each electroylote to the critical opposite...ie, Potassium to Sodium, Magnesium to Calcium... etc.

The NutrEval is extremely valuable and if you can get that done, it will tell just about everything you need to know about how you are processing the nutrients you take in from food (or supplements). I have that done at least annually.

The Alcat is good for food sensitivities.

The best, most accurate for gluten and related cross-reactive foods is the Comprehensive Gluten Intolerance test from Cyrex Labs.
(Gluten has also been discussed in past posts)

Food sensitivities and intolerances definitely influence afib in many. The Gut Connection to Afib is examined in this post ... you can find this and others if you go to the box in the upper RH corner as you first open the page... Afib Resources... click there to find.
Here's the Gut Connection link [www.afibbers.org]

It's important for afibbers to rule out H. pylori infection as many have found once that bug is eliminated, the AF resolves.
There are two Conference Room sessions on H.pylori.

I presume you have had the 25 OHD evaluation for vitamin D?

I've sent you a Private Message... note again the location in the URH corner at the top of the page.

Jackie
May 21, 2013 04:32PM
Thanks very much, Jackie. I've been tested for H. pylori -- negative. It's been quite a while since I had vit D tested, but I've been supplementing with D2 for a long time. No celiac disease.

- I believe Exatest is here [www.exatest.com] (covered by Medicare, some insurance)

- Are you referring to the NutriVal FMV here [www.gdx.net] ? (covered by Medicare, some insurance)
(I have to say, I am a little wary of Genova Diagnostics as their neurotransmitter tests are wholely bogus.)

- Cyrex Gluten-Associated Cross-Reactive Foods and Foods Sensitivity test [www.cyrexlabs.com] $225 (not a Medicare provider, does not bill insurance, you pay cash)

I've reduced gluten but haven't eliminated it. I'm aware of the issues with potential gluten sensitivity.

Is there a particular inflammation test or is it C-Reactive Protein (CRP)? (I doubt that I have inflammation.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 04:34PM by Iatrogenia.
May 22, 2013 05:10PM
I sent you an email about your test questions.

Jackie
May 25, 2013 10:22AM
Iatrogenia, welcome to the forum. I have been catching up on posts and noticed above that your vitamin D supplement is of the D2 form. That is not the right form to take. The better form for raising your 25OHD levels in the blood is the D3 type. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism

Adrian
May 25, 2013 04:04PM
Iatrogenia - the test I had done was the NutrEval from Genova Diagnostic. It was what my MD asked for, so I have not done research on it.

The Cyrex food sensitivity test is way less cost at $225 than the $1100 I paid for Alcat, plus $500 for a re-test, but I have no opinion or knowledge about Cyrex.

I would say that for managing my nightmare, the food sensitivity test gave me the best bang for my buck because I was able to minimize the nighttime indigestion/vagal trigger by following the diet. And this in turn allowed me to miss less sleep (double negative I know, but I am still sleep deprived). I eliminated the moderate and severe intolerant food items and did their 4 day rotation diet on the rest of the foods. Sixteen months later I followed up with a re-test and found that I had reduced my sensitivities dramatically. My doc says this means that I had leaky gut and have been able to repair it. In the last 3 months before the re-test I had also eliminated coffee, booze and reduced my stress load - and my guess is that these three items have way more of an impact on gut health than anything else.
Ron
May 25, 2013 04:13PM
One other point about my Alcat re-test is it showed that my gluten intolerance had been reduced from a severe to a mild. My MD is as wholistic as you can find and has a significant amount of additional training with an extra Masters Degree in Brain Health and aging. She was very firm in telling me to keep the GMO gluten out of my diet as it is a neuro toxin, but that at least I don't have to worry about the tiny amount in Worchester sauce etc. (Also I will attempt croissants in Bordeaux as GMO's are banned from France.)
May 25, 2013 09:27PM
I mistyped, I'm taking the vitamin D3 form.

Saw an integrative doctor yesterday (California Pacific Medical Center's Health and Healing Center), he ordered Genova Diagnostics NutraEval FMV, Antibody Assessment Celiac Profile (food sensitivities), and Adrenocortex Stress Profile, plus the tests from The Strategy.

He's familiar with these tests. We'll see what they indicate before ordering tests that aren't covered by my Medicare.

He took my blood pressure sitting and standing -- it was 10 points higher when standing, a normal result, which he said indicated adrenals were operating normally.

Thanks for all the advice here and from Jackie in a personal note.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2013 09:30PM by Iatrogenia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login