Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Still Lost

Posted by Doug G 
Still Lost
May 04, 2013 08:39AM
Anyone out there please, can anyone tell me if they have experienced RAPID 190 HR continually after abilation and if so does it go away ever? I have been back to the Royal Columbian Hospital clinic finally April 23 for a nurse visit (can you believe it) not a doctor visit. I havent seen the Doctor since he told me he could not get one of the vein ends cause too much muscle was in the way he said he burnt it but didnt want to burn it anymore as they were not sure it was a problem area anyway, nice hey. So 3 out of 4 is all I get????

That was after being on the table for 5 1/2 hours. I think he made a mistake and has really caused some damage. At the RCH A Fib clinic they are way to casual about the post abilation attacks than I think is right. Of course when I go there for the 6 week check they do an ecg and I am in NSR so no record again.

I NEED to know from anyone if it is normal to be having these 153 to 190 HR attacks that last all day? I am on the Potassium and Mag for 3 days but nothing so far. I am waking up at night with major body aches in my hips, knees and feet and Night time is hell usually sleet in 2 hour fits. I take 50mg of Xanax when I get stressed and depressed but even that isnt helping. You know when I had A fib there was hope but now that all seems to have gone away and I am scared to death I will never get back to NSR.

I am 62 years old by the way in good shape, 6'4" tall 220lbs. I am now on 50MG Metoprolol 2 times a day and sometimes I take an extra 25MG at 3 in the afternoon as I get some hits then and also at 3 AM and I can tell it will be another night in hell tonight. I just soaked in a tub to prep for bed but my heartrate is showing 165 with my sport moniter on my chest and I cant seem to get it down again.

What bothers me is the way the RCH clinic has just dropped the ball as no one mentioned the Afib could get worse not better after the operation and I dont even get to see Dr LeMaitre until June 18 thats 3 friggen Months after the procedure is that normal?

So far I have been whinning to Leanne there at the RCH a fib clinin she is the drug person who put me on the Met and the only support I get so far.

Can Anyone explain what is happening to me please and will it get better?????

Regards
Doug Gooch
Re: Still Lost
May 04, 2013 08:54AM
Doug, I didn't experience that, no, and I don't think most people do, post ablation either. An increased heart rate is common after ablation, but not to that extent. It sounds to me like you need, for your peace of mind if nothing else, to get an emergency appointment with Dr Le Maitre if you can, as so much depends on your individual circumstance.
May 04, 2013 09:10AM
Doug - definitely seek out and demand additional medical care for lowering your heart rate. Not related to ablation, I've had heart rates going on at 200 bpm and over for long sessions and I can appreciate your distress. It's nasty. You deserve better attention from your medical providers.

I'm very sorry that you have this complication.

Jackie
May 04, 2013 10:31AM
I also had some extended tachycardia after my ablation, but when I dropped the flec that the doc put me on, it went away (except for short runs). Diltiazem, a rate control med, was helpful in reducing the heart rate while I was in tachycardia and the beta blockers (as you are taking) only made things worse. You might want to see if a drug change could help.

My take with my tachy is that the heart was wounded more than most due to the procedure and heart inflammation was the driving force behind the tachy. Even now, if I exercise heavily, I can still experience short tachy the next day, when inflammation is highest. It has been over six months since my ablation and I continue to improve - but I have not had the "total normal" heart some have had after an ablation.

If your heart rate continues to be high and nothing is done to control it, I would go to another doctor quickly, any cardiologist or EP and see if they have another perspective, at least to get you some relief - that consistent high rate is very dangerous. You may just be dealing with a bunch of medical duds who don't give a crap or who just aren't as sharp as they could be.
May 07, 2013 10:00PM
Doug -- IMO, you need to receive immediate care for a continuous HR in the range stated.

Good luck.

/L
May 11, 2013 12:17PM
I have to put in my two cents worth here. A nominal heart rate is essential for overall heart health long term. As I am led to believe, the heart is made to beat X number of times depending on its health. Even in aFib, with Metoprolol they tried to maintain my rate in the 70ish range.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login