Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What can I use for a bad cold that doesn't interact with Flecainide?

Posted by tobherd 
What can I use for a bad cold that doesn't interact with Flecainide?
April 28, 2013 11:13PM
Hello all - I haven't been sick since I first got Afib over 10 years ago, but ended up with a lot of sinus congestion and a cold recently. I was told by my Cardiologist not to take any nasal decongestants, making this a lot harder to deal with. I AM using "tent" over a hot pot of water with some Melaleuca oil in it, but feel I could use more - especially since I'll be flying on Wednesday. Afraid the congestion and air travel might create a problem for me.

Are there any cold meds that are OK to take with Afib and/or Flecainide? Having this happen made me think that having to be on a potent drug for the rest of my life could pose some problems down the road....and then I heard that Dr. Natale may be practicing only an hour away from where I live.....it might be time to take the next step.

In the meantime...any ideas?

Thanks ~ Barb
Re: What can I use for a bad cold that doesn't interact with Flecainide?
April 29, 2013 12:13AM
Barb,
I just went thru a bad cold for 3-4 days used Advil cold and Sinus with no problem.
So now that Natale is here about 2 miles away we no longer have to sweat on who to go to........I think it's time for me. Flec is only holding me in NSR about 70% of the time....but the symptoms are not that bad just uncomfortable. What to do..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 12:20AM by McHale.
April 29, 2013 09:29AM
An effective nose and sinus spray that doesn't interfere with any meds is that from NutriBiotic Nasal Spray and contains GSE (grapefruit seed extract)... it's highly antimicrobial. You should be able to get it at a local healthfood store.
Jackie
April 29, 2013 02:44PM
You could give ginger a try, it may fix your afib also.

Colin
April 29, 2013 11:17PM
thanks for the suggestions, all. Saw the doctor today and he also prescribed an antihistamine. I didn't think I really needed that, but I have to say that between that and the Netti Pot I started using, I'm a little better tonight. If not better still tomorrow, I'll add some of the suggestions here too. ~ Thanks

McHale - I am in a similiar boat. I'm in NSR probably 90% of the time, but the fact that it's still there and I'm only getting older (I know..we all are) but getting to an age when they will start bothering me to be on Coumadin, etc.....I am more tempted to "just do it!" now that Natale is in NYC (actually, not sure if he's already there or will be soon..??) Not suffering much with Afib, but that's probably because Flecainide works well for me and I'm on a high dose. That can't be good over time either...And then when things like this happen, that I can't take a decongestant because of Afib, I'm thinking what if I need another kind of medicine down the road and can't take that either?

Some people decide these things more easily...I'm just not one of themsmiling smiley

Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login