Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium, etc.

Posted by Murray L 
Magnesium, etc.
April 28, 2013 08:37PM
I keep hitting bowel tolerance at 400 mg of Magnesium. Can someone please educate me on the Magnesium creams and oils that folks are using? (And what kind/usage)

I am good with Potassium, taking somewhere around 3 g. via Potassium Gluconate and LS V8 daily. May have to up that a bit as I hover around 4.0 and would like to be around 4.5 or 4.7.

Asides from the Cardy Meter is there an easy way of testing for serum Potassium regularly? Otherwise I am inclined to look into this new Cardy Meter that requires less fussing about.

I would also like a way of testing my INR more regularly asides from having blood drawn. I will never go on the new thinners until they have a finite antidote in place for them. I had an internal bleed about a year ago and it was awful. Much pain (EXTREME pain). I don't want to go through that again, ever.

Thanks in advance

Murray L

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Re: Magnesium, etc.
April 28, 2013 09:29PM
You could try using Dead Sea bath salts. I have used it and it works well. Just pour some into a nice warm bath and soak for about 15-20 minutes. The salts contain about 30% magnesium chloride.
April 29, 2013 09:23AM
Murray - what is the brand and form of the magnesium you're using? The magnesium glycinate? Anything else listed on the label?\

Have you tried Epsom Salts foot soaks (magnesium sulfate) or the topical application of the transdermal form... magnesium 'oil' (magnesium chloride) ... Many people find that these are good adjuncts to oral supplementation and help boost IC stores w/o bowel tolerance issues.

Consider also that some people note that potassium in the higher doses... especially the potassium chloride form in the LS V8 tends to cause bowel issues. You could switch to potassium citrate or potassium bicarbonate powder just to see if you note better tolerance.

Jackie
April 29, 2013 09:53AM
Just tossed out the old bottle as it was empty and looking in reserves for the new bottle. It is, I believe, NOW brand of Potassium Gluconate(Gluconate?) and tsp is about 540mg. Potassium. I do not seem to have issues with either that nor the LS V8. I did want to try using the Potassium oil or lotion and wanted to know what brand and how to use it. Potassium Chloride oil is available locally I think (but probably three times what it costs from iHerb). I'd like to try it. I do not seem to have any issues with the Potassium Gluconate powder form in Polar Seltzer Water and try to take in about 3g. daily. I need to figure out how much I am taking in orally by food since going vegetarian. I also note that with all the dark green leafy veg that my INR has dropped from the 2.8 range down into the 2.0 range and have lost my family doctor to retirement 'suddenly'.... I see Dr. Verma on June 3 and am going to ask him if increasing my Warfarin from 5mg daily to 7.5 mg. every other day is appropriate. I have a standing order for bloodwork every 4 weeks - 3 weeks to next test. They watch specifically INR, Creatinine and Potassium. I am thinking that I really need to get my Potassium up to the 4.5-4.8 range. Perhaps a cardymeter has become an essential now that I have gone vegetarian. The good news is that my sugars are normalizing, my BP has plummeted to normal and am having to cut back on the medications for both. We are actively searching for a family physician - not an easy task in these parts.

As always, thanks Jackie. (Oh, I have not tried the Epsom salt foot baths. My feet don't smell at all. Not to me anyway.)

Murray L

Murray L

Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Anonymous User
April 29, 2013 04:54PM
Murray, regarding testing your INR: I do my own INR testing every Monday. My EP set me up with Patient Home Monitoring who provided me with the meter, strips, etc. It's just a little finger stick, no big deal. I phone the results in to PHM and they forward them to my cardiologist and his office contacts me the same day to verify and adjust my coumadin dosage if needed. Everything is covered by Medicare. Perhaps this would be an option for you.

Laura
April 29, 2013 09:33PM
Hi Murray, for what it's worth, I tried taking the Now potassium powder dissolved in soda water and it wreaked havoc with my bowel. For me, it acted similar to the clean out procedure we do prior to colonoscopy.
April 30, 2013 02:31AM
RalphL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Murray, for what it's worth, I tried taking the
> Now potassium powder dissolved in soda water and
> it wreaked havoc with my bowel. For me, it acted
> similar to the clean out procedure we do prior to
> colonoscopy.

Fascinating. It has no effect on me whatever and I can take 1.5g twice a day on top of my LS V8. Go figure.

Murray L

April 30, 2013 07:55AM
I take Potassium Chloride powder a few times a week - it has 730mg in one quarter of a teaspoon. Trouble is it tastes like hell whatever it is mixed with.
June 08, 2013 03:06PM
I use Bluebonnet's Chelated Magnesium / Albon method. I've had the occasional too much magnesium issue, but for the most part 2 capsules (400mg total) with each meal works great. Sometimes I add 1-2 capsules before bed.
Nancy
June 09, 2013 03:41PM
Thanks Nancy. I have some of that Blubonnet Mg on hand now and am going to try upping my intake a wee bit although my heart seems pretty calm with the TIKOSYN and in NSR since Dec 2011.

Checkup last Monday indicated that my Left Atrium has not shrunk any further from the 55mm ish range. Disappointment and caused by a quack cardiologist to boot. I'm in good hands NOW for sure.

My ejection fraction, however, is optimal, I am advised, at 60%.

Fingers crossed that we can do SOMETHING to get the LA shrinking again. Mg may be the answer. Dunno.

Seems to be hit and miss.

Murray L

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login