Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New NYC treatment center - Dr Natale Exec director

Posted by afhound99 
New NYC treatment center - Dr Natale Exec director
April 28, 2013 11:43AM
I am not sure if he practices in NY. The Director is the MGH EP that worked on me at MGH

[www.stlukeshospitalnyc.org]

This world-class facility is being directed by Andrea Natale, MD, FACC, FHRS, FESC, an internationally recognized leader in arrhythmia management and ablation procedures. Throughout his career, Dr. Natale has focused on innovative advances in the treatment of atrial fibrillation and other complex arrhythmias. The opening of the Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute is a perfect match to his life-long goal of improving patient care through catheter ablation and specialized techniques.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 04:21PM by afhound99.
Re: New NYC treatment ceter - Dr Natale Exec director
April 28, 2013 11:59AM
Yes he will be practicing here.........
April 28, 2013 02:50PM
So that's great news for people who live in the Northeast..
April 28, 2013 09:25PM
This is very awesome! Glad I had the brief opportunity to meet with Dr. Barrett before he moved.
April 28, 2013 11:05PM
This is terrific news! Jackie was kind enough to reach out to me on this as she knows I've been considering an ablation but really didn't want to travel to Texas. I live on Long Island, so St. Luke's is only about an hour away. Is Dr. Natale now moving to NY or is this going to be another place he practices? Austin, San Francisco and NYC? That would be quite a lot for anyone to manage...

Does anyone know when he will be starting at St. Lukes? I'm excited and now scared, as I won't have any good excuse anymore...and I really have to get this done...(it's been 10 years..)

Barb
April 28, 2013 11:16PM
Dr Barrett, Director of the new center, did my ablation at MGH 6 months ago. He and Natale were close during the Boston AF symposium. If anything needs 'unconnecting' I'll probably ask him to do it.
April 29, 2013 12:19AM
afhound99 how bad was your afib before your ablation.....?
how was your recovery and are you glad you did it?
I'm mildly symptomatic but becoming more frequent and lets not forget my TIA on Sept 5 this past year.....I'm still nervous about the whole thing
April 29, 2013 03:20AM
The new Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute in NYC that Dr. Natale has accepted the Executive Directorship for is being funded by the Amir of Kuwait (very deep pockets no doubt) and their aim is to make it the premier arrhythmia center in the world over time. Starting with three state of the art EP labs as well as a research center and an education center for both EPs as well as the general public and patients.

Dr Natale has always had a passion for pressing the state of the art in both research as well as new technology and procedure refinement. He will still continue in Austin as well at St. Davids and San Francisco too and will be doing ablations in all three places. But will likely spend a bit less time in SF and Austin for the time being since we haven't yet invented a time machine.

His other great passion is in education of new and well established EPs on how best to do these challenging ablation procedures in different parts of the country. So apparently, this opportunity to spread his wings to the east coast in the largest US city was the right time for him.

Austin and San Fran are well-oiled machines now after his five years in Austin and 8 years working out of SF as well. And Dr N. can no doubt afford to spend a little less time each month in those two centers while getting Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute up to speed and well established as well.

Now if we could only find a way to clone him as well ! ....

People in the east coast region who would like to see Dr Natale there can contact Melanie at Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute for appointments and ablation scheduling at: 212-523-2400.

Shannon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 03:14PM by Shannon.
April 29, 2013 09:50AM
McHale, it (AF) was getting frequent - a few times a week - stopped with Flec. Yes I am glad I did it as I have been in NSR since. I had a few rough periods with PACs or PVCs but they seem to have subsided and to have been brought on by dehydration. Dr Barrett certainly has Dr Natale's confidence or he wouldn't be the Director of the new NY Instititute, so probably if I ever did need a touch-up I'd ask if he could do it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 09:52AM by afhound99.
April 29, 2013 12:39PM
Dr Natale is maintaining his base and home in Austin, but will spend a fair amount of time in both New York and San Fran perhaps a bit less time in both SF and Austin to make the required time for NYC, but not too much less than previously.

Shannon
Re: New NYC treatment center - Dr Natale Exec director
April 29, 2013 05:14PM
I just spoke with his secretary for a consult
He's already started doing a few ablations last week
Guys encourage me to do this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 05:16PM by McHale.
April 29, 2013 07:47PM
Hi McHale,

Do you really need more encouragement?! You've said for almost a year that if Natale was in your area you would already be done with all this business. So maybe its time to listen and follow your own intuition here. With your reported increase in AFIB frequency to the point now that it is happening several times every couple of weeks now, and this inspite of and after all the efforts you have made and time dealing with it ... then I agree with what you wrote me that its time to just get it done.

Your case is still paroxysmal, but is increasing in frequency. I can promise you from my own experience of procrastinating too long that if you have given the Strategy and diet options as good an effort as you are able to muster toward that and still found it not effective enough for you, then in my book you are more than ready! Waiting from this point when you have this golden opportunity in the coming months buys you little in my book, after all that you have investigated and tried.

As far as being afraid, the fact they you can put yourself in Dr. Natale hands should settle the lion's share of that anxiety. That is over and above the normal kind of concerns anyone shares when approaching any kind of medical procedure. But you could not possibly be in any better hands now McHale. Of course, other top EPs are also very safe as well and quite a few now are very effective too with paroxysmal AFIB, but you will not find anyone anywhere that is any more safe and effective at doing this procedure as well as being utterly capable of handling any degree of progression your body might require than Dr N. Getting in early at the new center is a bonus too before the line up swells and the waiting list grows even longer than it is now.

He will have only the highest quality assistants working with him, which he demands everywhere, and the whole center has three complete brand new state of the art equipped EP Labs with all the latest and greatest tools and equipment, so its hard to see a downside here when one of the true top two or three maestros in the world suddenly sets up shop literally in your own backyard!!

Ask yourself, if not now, then when?? After you have slipped into persistent AFIB perhaps or, God forbid, had another TIA!? Don't make the mistake I did and procrastinate too long, for one rationale or another. Certainly not banking on some, as yet, still over the distant horizon 'breakthrough'. Keep in mind that anything of any real merit within the next couple years Natale is already at the forefront of. He understands and has access to all the cutting edge technology and its far better to depend on his judgement there than any of us including yourself, and particularly not get too enamored by the speculative press on what 'might' pan out in the future.

By the time that 'future' arrives, you could easily either have this all or mostly behind you, or by delaying too much longer possibly wind up in much worse shape and have a far more difficult procedure ahead of you than now.

Anyway, I hope there is enough common sense here to help settle the decision, as you wish for. Be happy your angel has come through for you, I'm happy for you! Just go and meet with him, discuss your situation and he will tell you what he thinks is best for you.

Take it easy,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2013 10:03PM by Shannon.
April 29, 2013 08:29PM
Shannon,
You're the man! It's just that the reality is hitting home that I must do this and I'm all out of excuses now since I got NATALE here who is simply one of the BEST. I've tried everything to sop this with supplements and cutting down heavy weight lifting. In hindsight I was getting AFIB for years before my May 2009 diagnosis but they were short bursts that didn't last long.
You've been great communicator and consider you a friend thru our correspondence. Yes I spoke with his secretary and the calls are coming in from all over the US and the world. I've faxed all my medical records' today. She's calling me tomorrow for a firm date to meet DR NATALE. I'm might even be getting a little excited along with my anxiety.
Wow I'm going to copy this post to my iPhone notepad it's so right on the money!

Best,
McHale
April 29, 2013 10:04PM
Great to hear McHale,

Sounds like you've done your most important job now getting all set up. Now its just walking through the motions and before you know it this will be all over,

SLeep well friend,
Shannon
April 29, 2013 11:29PM
McHale - please keep us posted on your consult wiht Dr. Natale. I am reading with great interest, as I might be right behind you (or at least, on that line)

Barb
April 30, 2013 12:14PM
Barb,
Now wondering who to go to is over here in New York as we got one of the best. The others I'm sure are great but this is a no brainier now. Waiting for FIRM or some miracle drug now is not worth it now with my frequency increasing.
I'll let you know how it goes with Dr Natale.
April 30, 2013 12:46PM
McHale,

That is so great. Just go for it! (I sound like a Nike ad) I am five months post-Bordeaux and things couldn't be better. I am envious, you get to go around the corner! Please send me a PM if you want to meet to discuss what the experience was like with one of the best, I will be in NYC over the weekend.

Steve
April 30, 2013 12:51PM
McHale,

Great that you have made the decision to see Dr. Natale. Would you mind posting the contact details for his office in New York?

Hans
April 30, 2013 04:06PM
Hi Hans,
Here is the contact info I posted above for Dr. Natale's scheduling and appointment assistant Melanie

People in the east coast region who would like to see Dr Natale there can contact Melanie at Al-Sabah Arrhythmia Institute for appointments and ablation scheduling at: 212-523-2400. It is located at St. Luke's Medical Center off of Amsterdam street in Manhattan.

Shannon
May 01, 2013 08:56AM
Steve,
Check your pm. Where did you have yours done in Boudreaux?
You're from Mass if I remember?
May 01, 2013 12:54PM
McHale,

I had a Natale ablation in March 2011 and have been problem-free since!!

Prior to the procedure I was adamently against an ablation.....however my paroxysmal,atrial fibriallation was gradually getting more frequent (even though it lasted only for a few hours). The side-effects of the medication fthat I took was almost as bad as the arrhythmia. and my quality of life was deterioating. So, when I learned from this forum that Natale was in Austin I scheduled an appointment with him in November 2010.

At my appointment with Natale he told me I was a very good candidate for an ablation and he was quite confident that only one procedure would be required. Another key factor.....he stated that all anti-arrhythmia medication will most likely lose its effectiveness. It is also toxic. Never once did he try to convince me to go forward....in fact at that time he was completely scheduled in Austin until April 2011. So, I left with a greater tendency to consider the procedure but was not completely convinced.

In mid-January I was contacted by the person assigned to me in his office that there was a cancellation in March and would I be interested in that time slot.....asked me to decide quickly as there was a wait list. I decided that I did not want to have atrial fibriillation that was getting more frequent.....definitely did not want to be required to take medication twice a day that I hated......so I agreed to have the ablation.

So far the rest is history.

Steve
Spring, Tx.
May 01, 2013 03:14PM
Thanks for the report Texas Steve,

We hear so many similar reports from those who have made that same wise choice, and I've gotten the same feedback from, so far, everyone among the fairly large number of people I've recommended they consider Dr. N, first and foremost, as their ablationist, and who followed through with that suggestion and are very glad they did.

While there is no such thing as a sure thing in this field and no doctor is 100% first time success by any means (nor is that true in any other area medicine that I know of), its certainly not hard to feel confident that your best odds lie with a man with the most experience in the world doing these things, on often the most difficult cases as well, with such a large percentage of happy campers afterward.

Glad to hear things are continuing rolling along well with you these days too Steve!

Take care,
Shannon
May 02, 2013 11:44AM
Okay I'm booked for a Dr Natale consultation on May 28 at 8:00am and ill probably schedule the ablation that day on his return in June!
I'm nervously excited to say the least!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 11:45AM by McHale.
May 02, 2013 07:27PM
Jayhawk that's exactly what's happening with me frequency increasing already had a TIA in September and now it's messing with my head and well being.
I'll go persistent soon I think if I don't take care of it. Even when i workout now it sets it off with increasing frequency. My cardio mentioned amiodarone but then he balked doesn't want to give it to younger patients like me. But very effective at small doses for the older patients.
Sotolol or Tykosin would need hospitalization and he does not think they wold work better then Flec. I tried Multag and that was useless. Someone on another forum posted no one needs an ablation especially if asymptomatic but there's lots of buts there!
Thanks and see you in NSR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 10:06PM by McHale.
May 02, 2013 08:28PM
"Thanks and see you in NSR! "

Hold that thought, McHale, and get it done
May 04, 2013 09:32PM
Yes I will AFhound!
I changed the date to May 29th instead of the 28th at 8:00am. I see him before he starts the 3-4 ablations he's doing that day. He will meet with patients before and after each ablation. Who is this guy........amazing!
May 04, 2013 11:20PM
I know this thread is about Natale, but just to share, I made the decision to book as well and contacted Hospital Haut-Levesque, Bordeaux in early March, and things went quickly to an ablation date on June 3rd. While I was in this process I also consulted with an EP in Canada, but found the odds of success strongly in favor of Bordeaux, so I sent in the paper work and started making plans. The flight was booked, then the hotel and I finally sent the payment to the hospital last week.

During this relatively short time my afib has really progressed. I have taken care of my health with a good functional MD, take the supplements, reduced and eliminated stress and done everything in my power to tame it. Three months ago I was probably in afib about 3 to 4 days a week. Today I have been in and out of rythm at least 5 times and it is a daily event, so I am rapidly progressing towards permanent.

So am I grateful to be booked? - yes, without question.
May 05, 2013 05:28AM
Ron,
Good I was in sweet NSR for 4 days had a great workout got home and boom palpitations almost positive it's afib.
Supplements in my book maybe help some but eventually the beast eats you alive. Too much afib now heart hurts.
Really want this ablation now so glad Natale is here. This is scary the way its progressing. Ron good luck
May 06, 2013 02:07PM
Hi McHale and Ron,

Great news for both of you to get in so quickly! You are going to an equally good place too Ron so no worries ...

McHale, so glad they can fit you in so fast. It's the advantage of getting set up there right at the beginning in a new place and that is why I encouraged you to jump on it ASAP before the schedule was booked for four months. Great to hear it is working out quickly for you.

That gives even less time for the mind to play its tricks on you, toch?! smiling smiley Sounds like you are ready and good to go.

Best wishes too you and keep in touch by mail as well as the time gets near.

Aloha Shannon
May 06, 2013 02:16PM
One other suggestion not only for Ron and McHale but everyone who has an ablation.

Even if you have given a good honest college effort on trying to make the supplements, diet and 'The Strategy' work and found it wasnt enough to control your AFIB and you require(d) an ablation, don't give up on the supplements and useless for you!

This is particularly true in the month prior and 6 months after the ablation when adding in a few select natural anti-inflammatory agents to the usual Strategy list can help the healing process considerably.

Such supplements can and will provide added support for your whole body as well as your heart in helping to keep things as quiet as possible, even after a successful ablation. Very often they can help minimize too any post ablation ectopy as well such as PVC/PACs ( see the PAC Tamer formula Hans has posted).

The ablation will likely be the cornerstone of your successful management program going forward, but keep in mind too that this is a life long management issue and you don't want to tempt fate by ignoring those things that can only add to your physiological well being and support.

Shannon
May 06, 2013 11:05PM
Shannon,
WT......You mean I can't go back to pounding down Tequila shots, sucking down Margaritas, Binge drinking, gorging myself on steak,ribs, fries then hitting the gym during the week to bench press 345lbs and leg press 1000 lbs!
Man I thought you were a fun guy!!! smiling smiley

McHale
May 07, 2013 09:24AM
McHale

In early 2010 when I went from "pill in a pocket" to daily anti-arrhythmia medication was on Rythmol. The side-affects were brutal....including arrhythmia!!! After three months switched to Mutaq and eliminated the majority of the side-affects....however it did not completely comtrol the atrial fibrillation (neither did Rythmol). At my first meeting with Natale I asked his opinion of Multaq since there was much controversy involved with the drug. He suggested that I continue until it completely failed as the next drug of choice was even more toxic. Also stated that I was one of only a few in which the Multaq was successful. My desire to be rid of the medication was the ultimate factor in my decsion to go forward with the ablation.

Steve
May 07, 2013 09:49PM
Ha Mchale!
There are no absolute 'dont's' on my list, but a lot of those 'do's' you mention will be at one's own considerable risk! :-)

Fortunately, you are wiser than that so I'll not worry you would want to play chicken with this freight train again once you get it firmly in the rear view mirror ...

Not long now!!

Take it easy,
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 02:35AM by Shannon.
May 07, 2013 11:41PM
Natale ablation August, 2005 to correct 24/7 afib.

I am 73.5 yo now, bicycle 100 miles per week, do heavy weight lifting, swim 4 hours per week, walk many miles, no meds except ASA daily..

Never a missed beat since.

Life is too short to be in AFib if there is an alternative. I took the risk at 65yo and never looked back.

Good luck to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login