Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lifting heavy objects a trigger

Posted by Nancy 
Lifting heavy objects a trigger
April 23, 2013 06:27PM
A couple of times I've lifted something heavy and set off afib. Most recently was this morning, when I lifted an oxygen tank in a carrier to put on as a backpack for carrying. The instant I lifted it up, before even getting it over my head, it set off the afibs. This has happened at least a handful of other times.

Question to all - why would lifting something heavy set off afibs?
Nancy
Re: Lifting heavy objects a trigger
April 23, 2013 09:21PM
I used to set off afib by lifting my left arm up over my head -- cue in left atrial appendage which Dr. Natale had to ablate/isolate. Were you doing that by chance?
April 24, 2013 12:12AM
Nancy,
The muscular contractions produced by such lifting may exert pressure on the vagus nerve, which could then trigger a cardiac response??
April 24, 2013 01:15AM
Hi Nancy - Why, I cannot say as this thing is such a mystery, but exertion for me is a trigger and an antagonist in that exertion also increases the intensity of the event.

I had to stop playing old timers hockey because within the first shift or two I would go into AF. It would also happen on the first tee box at the golf course, and the first hill climb on a mountain bike. I recently wore a Holter to try to record an event, and did we ever capture a doozy. I was trying to bring a house renovation project to a halt so we could go on a vacation, and I was moving around a lot - up and down stairs, carrying some heavy items etc. I knew I was in AF, but was able to somewhat ignore it while I was working. Finally at one point I became light headed and felt close to passing out, so I called a halt to the work and went home. I dropped the holter off at the hospital later and left on our holiday to Mexico. The doctor called me with concern a few days later as my heart rate had gone to 279 BPM at the moment I almost passed out. She told me it was very dangerous as the heart does not work well at this rate. It was at that moment that I got scared for my life and started to respect this beast a great deal more.

I am very careful now with the type of exertion I do. It is now mostly exercise on a machine where I can stop immediately if I trigger. I am very hestitant to be off in the far reaches of a ski resort or anywhere else where I cannot cease the activity easily.

Nancy, is it possible you were going scuba diving with the oxygen tank on your back? I have to say there is no way I would consider diving now with this afib so far advanced. I have an ablation booked and really looking forward to getting my life back.

Best of luck to you
April 24, 2013 04:59AM
Drinking some water and bending down pushing the stomach up toward the heart will trigger me.
April 24, 2013 12:01PM
Yes, I was lifting the tank with my left arm. But it has set it off when I lifted the tank with my right arm. So it doesn't seem to matter which arm.

No, not scuba diving. Have a Pulmonary Embolism, so have to currently use an oxygen tank while walking to breath better.

I can't figure out what the issue is.

Nancy
April 24, 2013 12:16PM
Ron

FYI we scuba divers use tanks of compressed air, not oxygen!

Gill
April 26, 2013 06:52PM
Gill all I can say is I am looking forward to getting back to diving, and thinking clearly too!!! This thing is taxing.

I am on this site a lot as I get closer to the ablation date, and it is good to get a humorous jab once in a while.

I just came home for lunch, and in a last minute impulse grabbed a frozen snack and wolfed it down and - bam - into a boisterous round of afib.

After my holter test where I recorded over 270 bpm, I am now very respectful (scared) of these events, and immediately sat down. My day of activity has ended in a downward spiral where I will likely not be able to get the exercise in later that I had planned. Oh well.

Think of me while you are breathing that compressed air, and be happy in the knowledge there is oxygen in that tank too!

Ron
April 27, 2013 06:44PM
Ron

One of the best things after my ablation was being able to dive again having spent 18 months out of the water, in AF 24/7. Ablation gave me my life back and I hope it will do the same for you.

Gill (diving nitrox so LOTS of oxygen in the tank)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login