Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

activity after ablation

Posted by RonB 
activity after ablation
April 15, 2013 09:29PM
I am booked for an ablation in Bordeaux on June 3. We would love to see some of the country after the proceedure, but I am uncertain about the level of activity I can safely be involved in. We will be staying in Bordeaux for about 4 or 5 days after leaving the hospital - in other words about 8 to 10 days following the proceedure. We would then like to do a self guided journey that involves driving between villages and daily walks/hikes of up to 4 hours. Is this too much? I have asked for an opinion from the hospital, but they say I need to talk to the doctor after. This is understandable, however we would like to book this journey now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Re: activity after ablation
April 15, 2013 10:22PM
Hi Ron, it varies person to person. The puncture sites can take a few days to settle down. On my first ablation I was very bruised and tender for a week which made walking a challenge for a few days after. The second ablation was much better but I found that walking more than an hour during first 4 or 5 days caused a severe ache. Following the third ablation 5 weeks ago I was walking about within hours with no discomfort. The new pressure bandages make a big difference and were not available on my first procedure.

This last recovery generally has been easier all round other than a bit of transient mild chest discomfort and touch wood no AFIB and fewer noticeable ectopy though the EP put me on Flecainide for the first 6 weeks which could be giving me false hope.

So it depends, but I'd say you would have a good chance of seeing the Bordeaux sites after a couple of days as long as you take it easy.

Regards
MikeJ

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 04:21AM by Mikej.
April 16, 2013 08:13AM
Should be OK after a day or two resting up
April 16, 2013 10:10AM
I took much longer before I felt like hiking for four hours a day.

Marg
April 16, 2013 10:43AM
Ron

I felt completely back to normal the day after my ablation but didn't have much stamina after 18 months of persistent AF and no exercise.

Gill
April 16, 2013 01:16PM
It is different for all of us. We went to the coast, and spent the day in Arcachon, and I was pretty pooped. St. Emilion is a lovely little city not far from Bordeaux, which is well worth seeing. I'll get that package put together and in the mail this week Ron.

Lou
April 17, 2013 11:28PM
Hi Lou, We only spent 1/2 day in St. Emillion and it was too short. We could have spent the whole day there. What a lovely place to walk around what with its twisting turning roads and old world charm. Wonderful. Did you climb the sand dune at Arcachon. I did but I took it slow. It's wonderful view of the ocean from up there.

Cheers

Adrian
April 18, 2013 12:13AM
Adrian,

I really wasn't feeling up to doing much until a few days later. We did find a lovely little restaurant on the beach where I enjoyed a few oysters.
I have been having some flare ups recently and a return to Bordeaux may be in my future. I went for what seemed like a basic touch up here in Vancouver exactly one year ago yesterday. One of the pulmonary veins became active again, but unfortunately it wasn't successful.

Best wishes,

Lou
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login