Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ER Visit for Afib: Need Guidance to find Articles on Magnesium and Potassium Levels smiling smileycool smiley

Posted by NoreenSmiles 
Hello afibbers smiling smiley

I have read somewhere on this site in a post to this forum or in all the other wonderful letters and sources regarding what a normal Magnesium and Potassium level might be. I was admitted to the ER for tons of ectopics and then afib of which I converted to NSR has soon has they stuck the IV in my arm. Testing of my blood showed that both my Magnesium and Potassium was low or close to low. My Magnesium was 1.7 and my Potassium was 3.7. I had thought 3.7 for Potassium level was ok?? Regarding the Magnesium at 1.7.... well on all occasions where I had afib or the PAC's I had that level of 1.7, 1.8 and even 1.5.

OK....so basically I wanted to read the information regarding the levels. I remember reading that what the normal ranges where could be taken has wrong because of the kind of blood draw it was.

I was able to leave the hospital and the ER doctor told me to take 3 times the Magnesium I was taking for the next 3 days and also to do the same with the Potassium confused smiley That's a lot of potassium confused smiley

I did read a lot regarding Magnesium and Potassium here: The Strategy: What Metabolic Cardiology Means to Afibbers
This was very helpful because I realized: 1) I have a few times a day where I am sitting or lying and relaxing and I break out into a sweat. 2) I have been constipated for has long has I can remember and I have had testing done to make sure there was no bowel obstructions. I was told to either eat more fiber OR take something OTC to soften stool OR add Fiber. THEN 3) aching muscles or cramping. 4) dry mouth or thirst... I report these 4 every time to the doctors and they have never mentioned it could be a Magnesium or Potassium deficient sad smiley

I had also asked for the EXATEST and the ER doctor looked at me like I was nuts. I then talked to him about Afib... and I mentioned I think I was a Lone Afibber and tried to explain it to him. HE said he has never heard of that name or description: Lone Afib. IT makes me so frustrated that what I am trying to learn to help myself, these doctors have no clue what I am talking about??? Has a matter of fact when I told him about my Gerd and how I thought it could be irritating the Vagus nerve, he looked at me shaking his head and said there is NO evidence of this happening *sigh* sad smiley I decided it wasn't beneficial to bring up the injury to my C7 *sigh* How could this person be an ER Doctor?

I take Diltiazem, a calicum channel blocker. Soooooo is this a drug that depletes the Magnesium or the Potassium.

I am sorry if I sound like I am complaining or that I am asking the same thing over and over, sometimes for me it takes a few rounds to digest and I am really not being lazy, I want to understand and to absorb the information I need to not only help me although help others too smiling smiley

I would like the information because I am trying to journal everything has well smiling smiley

wishing everyone a wonderful Easter weekend smiling smiley

Noreen
"HE said he has never heard of that name or description: Lone Afib. "

How old/young was he? Most younger docs are only used to seeing it described as Paroxysmal AF. Lone AF is the older phrase. Even so, he should have a clue.
Hi Noreen, I certainly feel your pain when it comes to doctors! Why does my pcp continually send me to the cardiologists at UCLA when there is a WHOLE Cardaic Arrythmia Unit?

Anyway, I understand about asking the same questions. I have it done it on many posts, too and I think it takes awhile to absorb it to where it becomes "natural thinking!"

I have asked this before, and will ask you. On your own, at home, how do you know if you are having a PAC, an ectopic, PVC, or atrial fibrillation. No one (doctors) has EVER mentioned PAC, PVC or ectopic to me. After being on this site, I read the results of my 24-hr holter monitor (in 2010) and saw:

Atrial Fibrillation beats: 9506 (10.4%) duration 104.3 min.
Ventricular Ectopy beats: 230 (0.3%)
Supra Ventricular Ectopy: 5849 beats (6.4%)
Single PACs: 2558

"The predominant was sinus with episodes of atrial tachycardia, atrial flutter, and atrial fibrillation from 35 BPM to 152 BPM, average 64 BPM. There were occasional PVCs. There were frequent PACs."

At any given time 24/7 I can feel my pulse at my neck and it is irregular. ALL the time. So this is afib, right? Then, occasionally I can "feel" my heart beat without touching anything -- in other words I am aware of it beating in my chest, still irregular but harder than usual. Is that a PAC, PVC or ectopic? I'm very confused about that and how everyone seems to know the difference. One response was that he had his own mini EKG machine. But how do the rest of you know which it is??

Thank you for all your input, Noreen, and a very Happy Easter to you, too!

Louise
Re: ER Visit for Afib: Need Guidance to find Articles on Magnesium and Potassium Levels smiling smileycool smiley
March 30, 2013 10:49AM
Noreen - you ask a lot of good questions and deserve a thorough response....here are a few comments as an immediate response... I'll probably add more later... as time permits....

It's generally a given that if you have Afib, you are magnesium deficient. That should be your first order of priority - to begin slowly adding doses of the amino acid chelate, Magnesium glycinate... as described in The Strategy and that Magnesium Absorption article. It can take many months or even years to optimize the magnesium inside all cells and especially heart cells which is the focus of this forum. The majority of the people in the US... regardless of whether they have afib or not...are also magnesium deficient... it's difficult to get enough in food so supplementing is necessary.

Do yourself a favor and try to locate a practitioner in your area who undestands restorative or functional medicine. Those in the ER or elsewhere are not at all conversant on the nutritional needs of the body and when you talk to them as you have...they most often give you the 'weird' looks or indicate what you say is irrelevant.... The old saying... what you aren't 'up' on... you're down on. I recently commente to an EP that my potassium level at 4.1 was low for me and could be a potential for causing arrhythmia.... he responded to me in an authorative, almost booming voice:... "potassium has nothing to do with it!!!.... Nothing!!!!..." I tried to compose my face so it was totally non-reflective of what was going through my mind at the moment.

Your potassium at 3.7... while just a snapshot in time...and not indicative of what's inside the cells... is, however, a telling indicator. Yes...you are low and should be more in the range of 4.5...some people tolerate a little less than that and some a bit more but you will undoubtedly benefit from increasing that.
Food sources are the best way but there are always supplements for those who can't get enough from food.

It's important to keep in mind that until your magnesium levels are repleted consistently... you don't want to overdo potassium as it may make arrhythmia worse... still, with the low level of 3.7... I'd be adding lots of potassium-containing foods. If you decide to try with supplements... I'd consider starting with low dosing of potassium citrate capsules or tablets... they are 99 mg each. Most of us use the potassium gluconate powder which is easier than gobbling capsules.. however the potassium citrate is small size. Check the food content list included below.. so you can focus on high potassium foods... I'd suggest though, that you not load up on bananas as a source since the high glycemic/sugar content makes them less then desirable as a source food.

On the Exatest... you can find practitioners who will order that.. .but they won't be your typical GP or the ER or an EP... or cardiologist.
I can help you check by your ZIP code to find a nutritionally oriented practitioner in your area if you like. This is a most valuable test to use as a guide to assist in focusing on how your body is using electrolytes and where your focus needs to be.

Remember also that maintaining tissue alkalinity (or pH) is an important aspect for overall health and especially so for managing arrhythmias. The easiest and quickest way to begin that is to make a batch of Waller Water magnesium bicarbonate concentrate and add that to pure drinking water... free of municipally added chemcials such as chloride and fluoride. That will not only help you get to tissue alkalinity but will also help with constipation. Lots of info here on the WW topic..and benefits. Do a search... but see the recipe that folows. It's very easy..not at all complicated and highly beneficial...whether you have AF or not.

This is a start, Noreen... I'm glad to see you taking such an active role in understanding and managing your health.

Jackie

Alkalinity, Healing, pH and Voltage - The Inside Story
[www.afibbers.org]
April 26, 2012

Magnesium Absorption
[www.afibbers.org]

Potassium content of foods
[www.livestrong.com]

Magnesium Bicarbonate water
Making magnesium-bicarbonate drinking water called WW using magnesium hydroxide (as in Milk of Magnesia) and carbon dioxide in carbonated water
The chemical conversion in water is: Mg(OH)2 + (CO2)2 --> Mg++ + (HCO3-)2

Step 1. Chill to refrigerator temperature a 1 (or 2) liter bottle of carbonated water consisting of water and carbon dioxide (CO2) sometimes called Seltzer.

Step 2. Shake well a bottle of plain Milk of Magnesia (MoM), then measure out accurately 3 tbsp* (6 tbsp for 2 liters). The plastic measuring cup that comes with the MoM is accurate and ideal for the purpose. Use only plain MoM without flavorings, sweeteners, mineral oil, or other additives. The "active ingredient" should be only magnesium hydroxide, 400 mg per teaspoon (5 ml), and the "inactive ingredient" should be only water (check the label). (3 tablespoons (45 ml) of MoM has 1,500 mg of Mg from 3,600 mg Mg hydroxide*)

*Alternatively use 3,600 mg Mg hydroxide powder - a bit less than 1 tsp (1 tsp = ~4,000 mg).

Step 3. Making the concentrate of magnesium bicarbonate water: Remove the cap of the chilled bottle of carbonated water slowly to minimize loss of CO2. Pour out a few inches into a glass and save it. Pour in the pre-measured MoM and replace as much as possible of the saved carbonated water. Replace the cap tightly. and shake the bottle vigorously making the liquid cloudy. After 1/2 hour or so the liquid will have cleared, and un-dissolved Mg hydroxide will have settled to the bottom. Again shake the bottle vigorously making the liquid cloudy again. After several hours (up to 24?) all of the Mg hydroxide in the MoM will have reacted with the CO2 to become dissolved ionized magnesium (Mg++) and bicarbonate (HCO3-). If a small amount of un-dissolved Mg hydroxide remains as a sediment ignore it. One liter of this concentrated magnesium bicarbonate water will have ~1,500 mg of magnesium and ~9,000 mg of bicarbonate. Diluting this concentrate 11 to 1 makes it essentially identical to Unique Water..

Step 4. Making WW essentially identical to Unique Water: Dilute the concentrate 11 to 1 with plain water.
-- Example: 1 oz. concentrate + 11 oz. water = 12 oz. WW, which is a bit more than 1/3 liter or 1/3 quart.
-- Example: 3 oz. concentrate + 33 oz. water = 36 oz. WW, which is a bit more than 1 liter (34 oz) or 1 quart (32 oz.).

Ideal consumption: 1 1/2 to 2 liters (quarts) per day providing per liter ~125 mg magnesium and ~750 mg bicarbonate.
" Regarding the Magnesium at 1.7.... well on all occasions where I had afib or the PAC's I had that level of 1.7, 1.8 and even 1.5. "

I thought the normal range was 0.74- 1.1

What should the Mg level be ? My Mg was 0.81-0.83 mmo/L ... Is this low ?

Also my potassium was 4.0-4.5 in 2 tests last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 06:44PM by LarryK.
Does anyone drink this much W. water in a day, plus drinking plain water, soups, if I drank that much a day I wouldn't have room for my food.

"Ideal consumption: 1 1/2 to 2 liters (quarts) per day providing per liter ~125 mg magnesium and ~750 mg bicarbonate."

Just wondering.

Liz
Happy Easter Afibbers smiling smiley

I had to go once again to the ER on Saturday evening.... and was sent home after liquids where pushed and Potassium was taken orally. My Mag was still at 1.7 and Potassium at 3.9, so Potassium was up a bit. I am currently trying to battled this negative mood I am. Sometimes I just feel so defeated sad smiley It's very hard for me to allow myself to grieve. I find myself getting mad that I am mad, and even crying. I am always trying to stop the feelings/emotions and that is not a good thing. I just dislike feeling sorry for myself when I need to realize just how much I really do have smiling smiley

I will be coming back to reply to the posts and I thank you Jackie for all the information smiling smiley YOU are a Angel!

Happy Easter and may the Good Lord continue to bless you all!

Noreen
Re: ER Visit for Afib: Need Guidance to find Articles on Magnesium and Potassium Levels smiling smileycool smiley
March 31, 2013 02:49PM
Louise...In don't know if this will help you distinguish your form of heart activity, but in my history of afib for 8 years prior to ablation, I had occasion to be monitored either by ECG or formally be attached to the electronic monitoring while in the hospital which gave me more opportunities than I care to remember to look at the strip or screen and learn to associate my physical symptoms and sensations with the medical diagnosis of afib or aflutter... or the ectopic beats. In my case... and we are probably all different in how these symptoms manifest or feel to us... I could easily identify Afib easily...at either the wrist pulse or more easily...with a light touch to the carotid artery area of the neck... it was chaotic but had a 'regular' pattern to the chaos. Intermittantly, an accuntuated thud or thump would be added for emphasis.

The PACs were random... but typically were like the pre-announcement hearalding the coming real AF event. I'm told you can't distinguish between PACs and PVCs without a monitoring device...so I just call them PACs. I can usually feel those without physically touching pulse points. .

When I developed an AF event that didn't resolve in the typical 10 - 20 hour time frame... and continued on and on for days... I learned later that it was A-flutter... the rhythm sensation was less chaotic or turbulent... it was actually a 'comfortable' arrhythmia since the heart rate for the first flutter event was relatively low and tolerable. I remember going to the gym to try to exercise it away... unsuccessful... and eventually after 5 days and not on coumadin, I ended up in the ER where chemical cardioversion did not work so I was admitted to the hospital to get to the proper INR so I could be electro-cardioverted. It was then that the distinctive points of A-flutter were pointed out on the monitor.... it was interesting that some of the attending EP Fellows doing rounds with the on-duty cardiologist l did not recognize the flutter pattern themselves. But the point is... much of the time, A-flutter is a rapid beat.. much more controlled in pattern and not nearly as chaotic as afib can be. My experience is heart rate can be slightly elevated... around 100 - 110 and is relatively comfortable and allows for some degree of functionality... but when the HR rises significantly..as mine often did to 150, 180 and higher.. it can be most uncomfortable, difficult to breathe and frightening.... at least it was initially.

I also learned that a run of what's called Sinus Tachycardia can be an attention grabber. I had bursts of those on occasion and I could feel them without touching pulse points... but if I did monitor the carotid artery just lightly in the neck area... I could follow the strong, rapid beats which lasted for 8, 10, 20 or often 30 and always ended with a huge thump...and then back to typical Normal Sinus Rhythm (NSR).

Eventually, the only time I became concerned was when the Afib morphed into Aflutter.... because my experience indicated that flutter did not always resolve and that meant a trip to the ER.

I could have purchased a monitor but decided early on that I didn't want to be tethered to a device that I thought would become an obsession for checking and analyzing and adding more stress to an already stressful situation. That's just me. When I was in various stages of treatment, I did wear what is now very dated... the various types of monitors for a week or two weeks or a month. That certainly emphasized any abberations and was attention getting but it also served to educate about the silent occurrences that I didn't feel but were nevertheless present at certain times. With the new technology and APP for the iPhone, it would seem that is going to be a very useful tool to not only assess what the rhythm is but convey the data instantly to your EP or cardiologist and would go a long way not only for peace of mind but to establish a record of patterns and arrhythmia trends for that patient.

The one thing I noticed in my many years of dealing with afib both before and after ablation is that the better I managed my electrolytes, the fewer events and ectopy occurrences....particularly once the intracellular levels of magnesium are consistently optimal... which took years in the doing... but then when something flared up, it was typically rooted in the sodium/potassium ratio also inside the cells and how that affected electrical conduction and the refractory perios which is the time between beats... the shorter that time... the more tendency to slide into arrhythmia. This is discussed thoroughly in CR 72. If you haven't read that... read at least the Introduction, the Interim Summary and the Summary... It's all there and a must read.

Jackie
March 31, 2013 03:35PM
Liz - the benefits of adequate hydration are well known... but the mention of using the Magnesium Bicarbonate water offers not only the chance to take in some very bioavailable magnesium, but most importantly, the bicarbonate or alkalizing factor which has far-reaching effects on overall health and healing and for afibbers, that important connection to alkalility... as discussed in the Alkalinity, pH post.

Drinking the WW is not in addition to regular water sources.. but instead of.

WW concentrate should be added to all your drinking water to ensure the healthy degree of alkalinity consistently. I use only the WW mix for all my cooking and drinking as my well water's pH is 6.6.... so drinking that by itself would pull down my pH. I don't monitor my pH regularly after so many years of WW use, but I do frequently just drink a couple teaspoons of the concentrate if I feel my dietary intake may have trended to more acid ash production than I should have.

Health is supported by alkalinity whereas, disease thrives in an acidic body. A calm heart is supported by alkalinity.

Jackie
March 31, 2013 03:45PM
Larry - keep in mind that the serum magnesium numbers on traditional labs do not reflect what's inside heart cells. The Exatest provides all the intracellular levels of the critical electrolytes and more importantly, gives the ratio of the influential combinations... ie, Calcium to Magnesium, Sodium to Potassium... and from that, then we can determine if an imbalance is contributing to arrhythmia and what needs to be worked on for repletion.

Serum potassium may offer a hint of potassium for a particular snapshot in time but again, is not indicative of intracellular concentrations.... but it seems to be a predictor of a trend for either high or low potassium. When my serum K is around 4.1 or lower, that can provoke an AF event for me. Remember that potassium and sodium are highly dynamic in action and competition and if you have a low potassium level either serum or IC, and you challenge that with a high sodium meal, chances are the dominance of sodium will cause some type of heart activity problem ... maybe just PACs but often arrhythmia.

Jackie
Jackie in cooking with WW doesn't that alter the taste a little of the food you are cooking? I am well aware that we need to be hydrated, I do fall short in this, I cannot drink that much, I wouldn't be able to eat what I should, that's just the way it is. One must be alkaline, must be hydrated, must have adequate K/M, little sodium, it is a wonder the rest of the world survives, many actually live into their nineties.

Liz
Liz,

I know what you mean. I am on the afib vitamin/min strategy and trying to change my diet at the same time and it is challenging. I was looking up alkaline recipes and one (for breakfast) was to mix banana and coconut and cinammon, make pancake (shapes) and leave out in direct sunlight for 1 hour! -- then flip over for another hour! And this was for breakfast!! I guess if you weren't starving and didn't have to go to work!! Haha! Does anyone really do this??

However, I know all of it isn't that ridiculous and will try to alter my habits a little at a time. I have a mother (with afib) who is 94 and her sister is 99. Their middle sister died at 95. The elder is healthy as a horse; however they grew up very poor on a farm in Missouri and "lived off the land." The LAND was much richer in nutrients then; and they had no processed foods. Also, my 99 year old aunt gets up every morning and has a cup of HOT water, and has for many years.

Anyway, I think doing a few things at a time toward a healthier way of liviing works better than trying to change your entire lifestyle all at once, which usually ends in total failure and a return to ALL things unhealthy! Good luck,

Louise
Louise:

That is something, 3 sisters made it into their nineties, do you know what they ate in their adult life? People that got their start growing up on a farm were usually healthy.

I would rather eat a banana or a potato (of course sw. potatoes are better) which have a lot of potassium than taking potassium supplements, we don't know what is in Potassium powder, I eat the known. AF is strange, different for many, I believe that mag. supplement is good, the B vitamins, biotin, boron, cod Liver oil and vit. C, I also take one tab. of Propafenone (150mg.) every night. This has helped me a lot, I still get AF but not as often as before.

Hans has said to drink hot water if you feel like you may be getting AF. Throughout the years that I have been coming to this site people have tried this and that, seemed to work for a few, but many have opted for an ablation. You can try things and see if it helps you, if it makes your AF tolerable, that would be good, but don't forget to enjoy life that is the biggest help of all.

Liz
April 01, 2013 09:37AM
Liz - using the WW for cooking does not change the taste...in fact, if anything, improves everything because it really 'mellows' out the water and gives it a really 'smooth' taste...at least for mine. Long ago, PC agreed with my observation on the taste.

The one thing to remember about hydration is... you can live quite a long time-- many weeks without food, but you can't live much longer than 3 - 5 days without water.

For afibbers, hydration is important because if the heart valves become dehydrated, that can cause problems and if blood becomes too thick as a result of dehydration or even not to that extent, just low enough to increase the viscosity of the blood so you are pumping sludge rather than the diluted fluid it should be, you are at much higher risk for stroke during and after an event. So eating food won't save you from that, but water will.

Ablations don't alter the need for the basic requirements.

Jackie
afhound99 Wrote:

"HE said he has never heard of that name or description: Lone Afib. "

How old/young was he? Most younger docs are only used to seeing it described as Paroxysmal AF. Lone
AF is the older phrase. Even so, he should have a clue.

Hello Afhound smiling smiley

Yes, he said he never heard of the name OR the description.
The doctor was 35 years old. (I asked the nurses when I had to go yet again on Saturday night)

He had NOooooooooo clue. On Saturday night a nurse came in about my age and she started telling me I had to do this and I had to take that for my irregular beats. Then she put oxygen on me and I asked why because I was having NOooooooo trouble breathing OR complaining of any pain whatsoever. She said I might be having a heart attack! Well....... I sprung up and said "why might I be having a heart attack.... I have never heard of Afib leading to a heart attack?" She started telling me that the Afib was an indicator that I had heart disease and that since I had been in the ER again, the 2nd day in a row, that my heart was trying to tell me something was wrong *sigh.* Well..... my blood started to boil. I was in fear and that ticked me OFF! I then asked her if she knew what "Lone Afib" was??? She had Nooooooooooo CLUE! She then jolted to the other side of the room and onto the computer in the ER room. Apparently she googled "lone afib" and she belted out..."it means: Idiopathic and that means there is no know reason." I clapped my hands and said "Yep"

She had to look it up and she wanted me to think she knew more about Afib than I. When that happens in the ER or with any medical personal I normally just shut up. They don't care what I know regarding afib... and they really don't care when I tell them I know my body and what is doing a heck a lot better than you confused smiley

I had to take 8 baby aspirins also and my stomach was burning. Her fix for that was to take some M of M and a PPI *sigh* I told her before that taking that much at once for me was an issue and she ignored me until I complained of pain and burning in my stomach!

Anyways..... I was able to leave and that made me happy smiling smiley

Noreen
Louise Wrote:

I have asked this before, and will ask you. On your own, at home, how do you know if you are having a PAC, an ectopic, PVC, or atrial fibrillation. No one (doctors) has EVER mentioned PAC, PVC or ectopic to me.

Hello Louise smiling smiley

I can feel the difference in my chest, in my pulse on wrists and in my neck. I also get a strange feeling that I associate with a fast heart. The only time I get that feeling is when I am in Afib OR when I get horrible PAC's. After reading what was explained to you regarding this from Jackie, I am wondering if I am in Aflutter myself. Sometimes I thought I was having afib in a much calmer episode and after reading Jackie's decription of Aflutter I am wondering is that is what I am having. It still feels like afib although the heart beat is not has fast.

At any given time 24/7 I can feel my pulse at my neck and it is irregular. ALL the time. So this is afib, right? Then, occasionally I can "feel" my heart beat without touching anything -- in other words I am aware of it beating in my chest, still irregular but harder than usual. Is that a PAC, PVC or ectopic? I'm very confused about that and how everyone seems to know the difference.

Well Louise I think Jackie did a very good job at explaining this to you.... and like I said, I think I have them both now. I will get a Holter and hopefully it will pick it up smiling smiley I also, have had PAC's and PVC's since I can remember. I must have been in my early teens when I started getting them and my Mom started taking me to doctor after doctor trying to find out what was wrong. I had also been explaining how they felt that young and when I wore a holter monitor and it would happen the doctor told me it was a PAC..... so then I had a name for the fluttering or skipped elongated beat I was feeling smiling smiley

Hope your Easter was awesome too smiling smiley

Noreen
Jackie Wrote:

> Do yourself a favor and try to locate a practitioner in your area who understands restorative or functional medicine.

Jackie smiling smiley

Thanks so much for all the information smiling smiley Here is my zip code: 98022 for the little town of Enumclaw I live in. I normally have to go 15 to 50 miles outside of my hometown to get help in the specialty fields. I also need help for the practitioner??? I am willing to drive 1 hour out for a doctor, so the zip codes would be 98058 for Renton, 98102 for Seattle, 98406 for Tacoma and 98003 for Federal Way smiling smiley

I am trying to make an order here for some supplements and I am going to order Mag, Taurine, CoQ10 (the doctor's best because it is on sale and all I can afford currently).... and then I wanted to know what the ginger was for. I mean will that help??? I have to tell you know that I have had that infection in the lining of my heart a few times, OR so my doctor said after xrays. Anyways I thought perhaps the ginger might be good for that?

and.... I am not sure I mentioned this before, although I have Mitral Value Prolapse. I have been told for years it was nothing to worry about and while at the ER on Saturday the nurse brought that up and said I might need to get it fixed??? *sigh*... I just shook my head... although it also reminded me of something I had seen here regarding MVP. Now, of course I can't find it. Again, I have been told that it is nothing.... so perhaps this is why I keep forgetting to mention it.

Remember also that maintaining tissue alkalinity (or pH) is an important aspect for overall health and especially so for managing arrhythmias. The easiest and quickest way to begin that is to make a batch of Waller Water magnesium bicarbonate concentrate and add that to pure drinking water... free of municipally added chemicals such as chloride and fluoride. That will not only help you get to tissue alkalinity but will also help
with constipation. Lots of info here on the WW topic..and benefits. Do a search... but see the recipe that follows. It's very easy..not at all complicated and highly beneficial...whether you have AF or not.

I am going to try this Jackie... once I understand how to do it. I have to tell you that MoM makes me gag sad smiley I had to have so much when my GERD was so bad. I could never keep down my own saliva and my esophagus would spasm over and over and over. Hours... and I would have to wait in the ER for it to stop. Finally they stuck a camera down me and realized I had a huge problem. When they stuck that camera down me the doctor scratched my esophagus and OMG... it felt like I was having a heart attack. The very nice doctor although stayed with me for a few hours because he said he was concerned. That had to make sure I didn't bleed. Within 24 hours the pain was gone although the GI doctor showed me pics of my esophagus and told me it was going to be a long time before it was completely healed. He said my PP doctor should have had me in years ago when I had first complained for the pain. He went on to tell me that the medication I had been taking for 10 years (Zantac) did nothing for me and was a waste sad smiley He personally talked to by family doctor and let him know what was going on with me and what he needed to do to help. I LOVED that doctor and of course he has left the state *sigh*

Thanks again so much smiling smiley and hope you had a nice Easter weekend too smiling smiley

Noreen
Noreen,

A few thoughts, I'd increase your mag till your stools are soft. How much it takes to get there is highly individual. You must use your own body as a guide. Mine has fluctuated over time.

In a person with normal kidneys, excess potassium gets excreted, so taking a lot of potassium should not be an issue. However without working on your mag, the potassium supplementation can be counterproductive, so consider magnesium as a foundation. The recommended amount of potassium intake a day is around 4.7 grams. There can be a problem with 20 gram intake. IF you have kidney failure issues, that is another story.

I generally like to keep my potassium level in the 4.2-4.8 range. This can differ for each of us, but 3.7 is most likely low for an afibber. When I was first playing the afib game, I had a discussion about this with my primary MD. He said many diuretics would keep potassium levels very low, but those patients didn't get afib. I suggested there was some genetic component that affibers had that others didn't. He agreed with me.

As to name, Lone Afib implies no underlying causative condition (idiopathic is a more technical name). Paroxysmal just means it comes and goes. This could be true of a lone afibber or otherwise. Those who are not lone afibbers have an underlying condition, such as atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, heart failure or other (generally inflammatory) condition that is causative to the afib.

I went through several cardiologists till I found an EP who at least had a clue. I still had to design my own afib remission program, which he agreed to. I used to have hour long arguments with an earlier cardio who did not "believe" vagally mediated afib was real. He also said digioxin was his favorite afib med. There was no way I was going to take that as a vagal afibber. I believe you must be your own best advocate.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 11:09PM by GeorgeN.
Jackie:

Magnesium Hydroxide (milk of magnesium) and some drugs may cause some interactions: Acetaminophen, aspirin, Lasix, anticoagulants, levothyroxine, potassium chloride, vit. C, tylenol and many antibiotics, there are other drugs as well. I don't know how much you would have to take, but taking it everyday in some people could cause problems.

I don't use WW, I use Magnesium Glycinate, there is a lot to this supplement taking, they aren't candy after all. I took Iodoral (12 mg.) for about 4 years then got hives from it, Dr. Brownstein gave me boron to take (32mg.) after 2 days I became sick, way too much boron, I am taking it now but only a small amount (8mg.) and seems to be ok, potassium gave me runs of AF. If people are going to take supplements, I think it would be prudent to have their holistic doc help them with it, you are making them aware which is good.

Liz
April 02, 2013 01:39PM
Liz - once you make the WW concentrate, the magnesium hydroxide is dissociated and blends into magnesium bicarbonate -- a concentrate which is then added to water...and the result is very diluted. It's no different than what's sold commercially as the patented Unique Water or Noah's water from California so it's definitely not 'poison' or highly inclined to cause interactions. It's not the same thing that you mention as having the potential to cause various interactions. So many of us have been using it full time for so long, we are living testiment to the fact that WW is very health-giving. Nothing to be afraid of.

That's the beauty of it. Just something elemental that the body needs and gets along with very well because it lowers all of the adverse effects that come from an overly acidic tissue that results from food intake and just 'living' in general.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login