Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rash from Coumadin?

Posted by Nancy 
Rash from Coumadin?
March 29, 2013 12:55AM
My personal plagues of Egypt have continued today with a rash of some sort. I've never had a rash before, so this is not only itchy, but confusing. It started on my lower left arm and is now the whole arm and neck.

I don't have anything at home to help (my mobility is hampered a bit right now by having an oxygen tank to drag around and no car. Friends are picking up some benedryl tomorrow).

Anyhow, the only new drug I've added lately is coumadin.

So wondering if anyone has experienced rash as a coumadin side effect?

Nancy
Anonymous User
Re: Rash from Coumadin?
March 29, 2013 04:18AM
Only thing i can contribute here is how to terminate that itch. Use a handheld hairdryer on the low heat. Point it at the itchiest place and hold it there a few minutes. That place will itch like crazy for just an instant, then it will feel like you finally scratched that itch just right, and that relief will last for 6 to 8 hrs. Repeat elsewhere as needed. Works on all the various itches that flesh is heir to, including poison ivy and ringworm, even on chigger bites and mosquito bites.Lasts longer than cortisone cream, and heaven knows the price is right. Very hot water works well too, but there are parts of the body that are inconvenient to immerse in hot water. On chigger and mosquito bites, i have also used mild pressure from a very hot coffee or teacup, just cooled enough not to raise a blister.. This remedy does not address the cause of the itch, just the result, but is invaluable for that.

PeggyM
March 29, 2013 10:52AM
I see that hives is a possible side effect of lovenox. I haven't had a lovenox injection since Monday morning, so maybe it's delayed if that was it.

If it's coumadin, hopefully it is the dye in the pill - I'm getting a prescription for the 10mg, which is the one without a dye, so I'll just talk half of it (I'm on 5mg at the moment).

Please OH PLEASE let one of these things make the hives go away! I am so tired of this one bad thing after another!
Nancy
Anonymous User
March 29, 2013 02:02PM
Nancy:

I would let your doctor know that you have developed hives, whatever is causing it should be eliminated as it shows you are allergic to it.

Liz
March 29, 2013 02:43PM
Oh I have, as soon as I could. Never shy about sharing info with my doc.

No idea what caused it. The folk here often know more than docs, which is why I also ask here.
Nancy
April 01, 2013 03:06PM
Nancy,

Are you, by chance ALSO taking Niaspan (or Niacin)? That's what was causing my terribly itchy rash. However, I had been on the Niaspan for 4 months before the rash manifested itself, so it didn't make any sense. I was trying to blame it on something I had started more recently, like Potassium!

Members of this board alerted me to my error. See my post on 3/19 if you are interested.

Hope you find the problem!

Gary
April 01, 2013 04:25PM
Turned out it was the dye in Coumadin 5mg. I started taking half a coumadin 10mg and the hives have mostly gone away (after three VERY itchy days). I don't know what that dye is, but I'm avoiding it like the plague from now on!

Nancy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login