Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allergies, Claritin, and AFIB...

Posted by James Igne 
Allergies, Claritin, and AFIB...
March 13, 2013 11:13PM
Hi Guys, it’s been awhile. I hope everyone is doing fine.

Here in sunny SoCal and my allergies are acting up again (itchy\watery eyes, scratchy throat, sneezing, headache) I usually don't take anything for it and just try riding it out.

Question: Is it ok for me to take Claritin (Not Claritin D) for my allergies?

Any side effects I should be aware of?

Me: Permanent AFIB and taking diltiazem & aspirin daily.

Thanks, James
Anonymous User
Re: Allergies, Claritin, and AFIB...
March 14, 2013 12:18AM
Hello James, only thing i can say about claritin is it does not work for me. Does not give me afib, but does not have any other effect either, specifically no effect that could help with a cold or with allergies. Hope you have better luck.

PeggyM
March 14, 2013 11:31AM
Hi James,

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am also in SoCal, in permanent afib (on Pradaxa and supposed to be on Multaq, but stopped taking it because I don't think it did anything and the warnings are dire!). I also have allergies and have been taking AllerClear from Costco. It does help with my runny nose and since my pulse is generally high I can't really tell if there are any adverse effects. It is 24-hour non-drowsy.

I'm wondering if you were "prescribed" aspirin or just decided to take it. I was told originally that it did not work and was on coumadin until pradaxa came out. I'm still spooked about strokes so am afraid to go off the pradaxa, but would much rather take aspirin. I am very, very discouraged with my doctors, who seem to have "automatic" answers without much thought or conversation.

What is your dosage each day?

Louise
March 14, 2013 11:57AM
Thank you Peggy and Louise for the replies.

Louise, welcome to the board!

A little about me: I am 46 years old and have been in permanent AFIB for 16 years now.
However, if the doctors never told me I would never knew I had it, as I live a pretty normal life. Thankfully I have never in these 16 years been to the urgent care or emergency room for an AFIB\heart related issue.

I was on Atenolol for many years (while with Kaiser) then several years back I switched to a PPO and got a new cardiologist\EP. I am now on Diltiazem 360 mg daily. They suggested I take Coumadin but I refused because I just hate taking meds. I also take a 325mg Bayer aspirin each morning.

They tell me it’s all about rate control for me. I see my EP every year just to see how things are going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 11:58AM by James Igne.
March 14, 2013 08:45PM
Hi James,

I live in Silicon Valley, Northern California and the pollen are terrible this year. My EP recommended Claritin. I haven’t tried it. I use Sudafed which I was told to be careful using. Like you I’d rather tuff it out and use nothing.

Valli
March 14, 2013 10:14PM
I usually take some Allegra if things get real bad here in Boston, no problems. You should avoid any antihistamines that have a "-D" or decongestant as this will definitely mess your heart rate up. I now take flecanide every day so this year I'll need to double check with my EP before taking any more Allegra.
March 15, 2013 09:45AM
James, since you have been in permanent afib for so long, I'm wondering how often you get an echocardiogram? I also live a pretty normal life and have never been in the emergency room or hospital for this, but am wondering if constant irregularity causes harm to an otherwise disease-free heart?

Louise
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login