Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dr. Natale success rate

Posted by chrisdodt 
Dr. Natale success rate
March 06, 2013 08:48PM
Are there any stats on Dr. Natale's ablations regarding percentages of success? i.e. 60% 70% 80%...afib free reports. I know from anecdotal comments of others on this board that Natale is one of the top 3 in the nation, world, etc. but are there actual numbers to show his record?
Re: Dr. Natale success rate
March 06, 2013 11:53PM
Is Dr Natale the only EP. I know he is one of the best.
March 07, 2013 03:14PM
chris,

You can find success rates in my 2008 ablation maze survey [afibbers.org]. They can only have gotten better since then. The success rate is almost entirely dependent on the skill and experience of the EP doing the procedure, but the type of afib also play a role with short, self-terminating, paroxysmal episodes being the easiest to deal with and permanent afib the most difficult. I would estimate Dr. Natale's current success rate to be about 65-70% with a single procedure and 85% or better with multiple procedures (an average for all types of afib).

Hans
March 07, 2013 03:22PM
Chris

Bear in mind that Dr Natale and the Bordeaux team get more than their fair share of very difficult cases, so their success rates may be even better than the statistics show.

Gill
March 08, 2013 12:07AM
Thanks, Hans, and to all:

It's been 3 years now since my first ablation, and since that time I've experienced tolerable break throughs. However, as of late, I feel the minimal results of my ablation are giving way to a simular type of persistant afib I had before my ablation. I had a consultation with my EP recently and he suggested that I go another round with the cathaders.
I'm leary, though, and I've been holding out for a chance with Dr. Natale's expertise, but my insurance doesn't allow me to switch carriers until October, so I'm stuck with my Kaiser EP. The man means well, but he only has 240 procedures under his belt; nothing compared to Natale.
Touching on what you said about Natale's first ablation being 65-70% and a subsequent ablation by him being higher in the 85% range, would this progression also apply to any EP regardless of their skill. To be honest, I'm not sure I can hold out till October, and I'm leary about switching from Flecanide to another drug therapy. I may have to opt for my current EP.
March 08, 2013 03:40PM
Chris, What ever you do, do NOT go to an EP for a persistent AFIB ablation that has around 240 procedures under his belt. WIth your first ablation having been a partial success for a while, a maestro like Natale will be able to discover the weak points or reconnections from the first one and also address all those spots than may have been missed as well. Your odds are good for a one and done from here on out, but only by making the best choice you can.

If your only option is Kaiser, I would wait for sure and do all you can to manage things until then. October will be here before you know it .. really!
Take care, Shannon
March 08, 2013 10:55PM
Thanks, Shannon. No more mistakes. Since Natale's scheduled procdures are about 6 months out, I'll schedule early, then rest easier in the comfort of a higher percentage ablation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login