Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on which EP to use in the NY area - or Dr. Natale?

Posted by tobherd 
Advice on which EP to use in the NY area - or Dr. Natale?
March 06, 2013 11:12AM
I went to bed not feeling well last night, and feel the same today. Sinus issue and some coughing, etc. To make it worse, my Afib kicked in while lying in bed and coughing this morning. I think I'm ready to talk to an EP about a possible ablation....enough is enough.

I saw your post, Hans, in which you asked if someone's Afib is self terminating and if it never lasted 24 hours. That describes me. I had Afib daily before going on Flecainide, but it did always self terminate - often from a brisk walk. The longest I can remember having an episode is 14 hours. I am currently taking a high dose of Flec. plus a low dose of Atenolol (only in the am or if I have a faster rate during an episode), and Spironolactone for high BP (which isn't that high and sometimes isn't high at all).

I have heard that Dr. Larry Chinitz is very good, as is a Dr. Reddy.... Of course, I know that Dr. Natale is the best. Based on my own history (I've been wrestling wtih Afib for 10 years now and I just turned 60)...am I settling for "pretty good" with either of these EP's or should I go out of my way to see Natale?

btw...I was told that St. Francis hospital here on Long Island is a great hospital for most cardio problems, but not the best for ablations. Nonethessl, a coworker of mine went there and got her Afib ablated and seems fine (she did comment that she woke up during the procedure and was in a great deal of a pain - not sure how common that is)..

Any help would be appreciated ~ Barb
Re: Advice on which EP to use in the NY area - or Dr. Natale?
March 07, 2013 12:07AM
I just happened to be in Mt Sinai today for my moms aortic heart valve stenosis and there was Dr Reddy who came out of his office. Even though I didn't speak with him as he was consulting with his nurses and doctors there's a professionalism to him that I really like. I consulted with him in Oct. I should have just booked a procedure right there.
March 07, 2013 09:03AM
Dr. Conor Barrett from the MA General Heart Center will be moving to NYC by April. He worked with Dr. Natale at the Cleveland Clinic. Was doing ablations three times a week at MA Gen. Too bad he's moving as I just got to see him twice. Now I'll have to choose another EP. Hopefully, Dr. Mansour at MA General will be taking new patients from the departing Dr. Barrett.

Update: 3/18/13
According to the letter I received from his office, as of April 8, Dr. Barrett will be moving to St. Luke's - Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 10:17PM by RalphL.
March 07, 2013 09:07AM
I wonder if he will be taking Dr Chinitz place at NYU Langone who's going to LIJ?
March 07, 2013 03:44PM
Barb,

From your description of your afib I would think that either Dr. Larry Chinitz at NYU Medical Center or Dr. Jonathan Steinberg at St. Luke's could do a successful ablation, but one should always be prepared for the possibility that two procedures might be needed. I do not have enough data to "pronounce" on the likely success rate of Dr. Vivek Reddy.

Hans
March 07, 2013 05:04PM
McHale - why do you say "take Dr. Chinitz's place"? Did he leave? He was the first one I was thinking to try.

Hans ~ do you think that two ablations might be a possibility with Dr. Natale too? Or does he seem to 'get it" with one? Also, Jackie had mentioned David Callans at U. Penn. Are there any clear choices with all of these EPs or would you consider them about equal? (of course, I know everyone give Dr. Natale the highest marks)

Haven't heard anyone mention Dr. Jonathan Steinberg...is he new on "the list"? There seem to be mixed comments on Dr. Reddy, so maybe I'd hold off on him...

Thanks for helping me weed down the list. Would like to know if Dr. Natale usually only requires one procedure tho....that might make it worth the trip.

~ Barb
March 10, 2013 11:09PM
I responded the other day........Anyway Dr Chinitz is going to North Shore LIJ. Got that from my moms cardiologist and the EP next door both from LIJ who I just happened to strike up a conversation with by asking him a question. He told me if it was his mom or brother that needed an ablation he would send them to Francis E. Marchlinski, MD of U Penn.
2 hours drive from the city 115 miles.
March 11, 2013 10:30PM
Barb,
I've also consulted with Dr Steinberg who does his ablation at North Valley in NJ top rated hospyal and new lab. He's done well over 2000 ablations does both cyro and RF and is running trials with 6 other EPs with FIRM.
March 14, 2013 11:11PM
McHale - did you get the impression from the cardiologist and EP that you spoke to that they did not recommend Dr. Chinitz? That was the impression I got from your post, which surprised me. I thought he was highly regarded. I know Jackie has good things to say about him..

I have heard of Dr. Marchlinski. Guess I have some homework to do in figuring out who to meet with...but at least some good suggestions to start.

Thanks ~ Barb
March 14, 2013 11:35PM
I guess there's a little reading between the lines. The impression I got or was told that these guys are superstars and may not be doing the whole ablation start to finish. But then again this comes from young guns with only 300-400 CA under their belts so they are eager and hungry. So you got the cowboys and the young aggressive EP's who are looking to make their mark. Dr Chintz and Dr Reddy in my opinion you can't go wrong. Dr Reddy is now testing the new Thermcool touch caths.......man this guy does it all.
March 17, 2013 11:22PM
Sure wish Dr. Natale operated out of the NY area at least some of the time....then the decision would be easier!

Also scary to read some people's posts that had ablations and are still tip toeing around triggers and having PACS and PVC's....why couldn't we have something easier to "fix"?

Just feeling sorry for myself...time to go to bed and wake up to a new day tomorrow. ~ Barb
May 12, 2013 11:21PM
tobherd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure wish Dr. Natale operated out of the NY area
> at least some of the time....then the decision
> would be easier!
>
> Also scary to read some people's posts that had
> ablations and are still tip toeing around triggers
> and having PACS and PVC's....why couldn't we have
> something easier to "fix"?
>
> Just feeling sorry for myself...time to go to bed
> and wake up to a new day tomorrow. ~ Barb

Barb,
I guess you got your wish now!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login