Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spring/ Mineral Water

Posted by Lynn 
Spring/ Mineral Water
March 01, 2013 03:50AM
It seems that I have come across posts in the past discussing how most spring water contains too much calcium. I don't know if it is just me, but I am having no luck with the search function.

The particular water I purchased is mineral spring water and is 74 parts calcium, 7 parts magnesium and 1 part K. Can drinking this type of water throw your mineral balance out of wack if you have been supplementing magnesium and potassium for some time?
Re: Spring/ Mineral Water
March 01, 2013 06:16PM
Lynn,

You should click on advanced just below the search function. This will allow you to extend the search to 90 days, a year or all dates. If you put in calcium spring water in the search box and select All Words you'll get quite a few postings.

I doubt very much that the 74 parts calcium (74 mg/L) will throw your mineral balance out of whack. You probably need about 10 times that much to experience any adverse effects.

Hans
March 01, 2013 07:40PM
Thanks Hans.
March 02, 2013 04:29PM
Lynn – a number of years ago, we addressed the calcium/magnesium content of bottled waters and one of the posters gave us a handy chart that listed various bottled waters and mineral content… I’ve not found that yet in my search in past posts, but I do have it in my computer file and I’ll send it to you if you email me… I can’t copy the chart and have it reproduce in this format.

An article published in Townsend Letter, 1999, by health writer, Bill Sardi was referenced is available at this link:
Magnesium Standard for Drinking and Bottled Water Would Save 150,000 Lives Annually
[www.vrp.com]

And a most helpful report on the importance of a higher magnesium content in water (than calcium) can be found here at the Magnesium Water website by Paul Mason. [www.mgwater.com]

If you are optimizing your magnesium intake and it’s actually remaining optimized inside your cells, then some extra calcium is probably not going to cause afib problems, but just read through these other health comments so you are aware when choosing bottled water. If you are marginal in IC magnesium, then keep in mind that calcium typically dominates over which mineral occupies the cell.

Jackie

Here’s a post from 2002 on this topic

Date: 08-03-02 22:26

Yes, drinking water that has been purified will deplete the magnesium from it. Waters should have a calcium to magnesium ration of 1 to 1 or 2 to 1, and no higher. Some of the best waters in the world, with ratios no higher than 2 to 1 are: Rosbacher (2.0), Vichy Novelle (.6), Vichy Original (.9), Apollinaris (.9), Badoit (2.0) and all of those have magnesium contents of 100 or higher--excellent. Also: Noah's Spring Water (.2), Sao Lourenco Fonte Oriente (1.0), Abbey Well (1.5), Golden Eagle (.6), La Croix (1.7), Bru (1.0), and Naya (1.9). The second group ranges between 20 and 96 mg of magnesium per liter--also very good. STAY AWAY from waters with ratios of calcium-t-magnesium that are too high. For example: San Pellegrino (3.6), Evian (3.3), Mountain Valley (8.5), Diamond Pure (7.0)...and the very worst of all, PERRIER (with a calcium-to-magnesium ration of 41.4!) That means Perrier delivers 41 times more calcium than magnesium per liter, and its magnesium content is a mere 4 mg!! Compare that to the far more beneficial water from Vichy, Appolinaris, even Poland Spring (although Poland Spring only provides 2 mg of magnesium per liter...far too little). Remember, too much calcium is not good for the body. Humans are taking in far too much calcium, and far too little magnesium. The waters we drink can help to turn that balance around.

Author: Fran (---.webport.bt.net)
Date: 08-04-02 02:15

Does anyone know of a water source in the UK is high in magnesium? Our water is really soft which I take means - is very low in Mg.

Thanks Fran

Date: 08-04-02 13:26

Beware of Perrier because of its extraordinarily high calcium content (41 to 1).

Date: 08-04-02 21:48

What about the Italian brand, San Pellegrino?
Anyone know if this is too high or too low in Calcium or Magnesium?

Date: 08-05-02 02:27

San Pellegrino water has 57 mg of magnesium per liter, which is fine for magnesium content, but it has a calcium-to-magnesium ratio of 3.6, which means it has far too much calcium relative to magnesium. The ratio should be from 0 (no calcium) to 2. Anything higher reduces the value of the water.

Date: 08-05-02 02:28

Perrier, for example, only has 4 mg of magnesium per liter. Its calcium content is 41.4 to 1!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login