Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HeartMath

Posted by Josiah 
HeartMath
January 26, 2013 12:39PM
I encountered this in a recent post by Dr. William Davis (Track Your Plaque) and I was wondering if anyone following this forum had tried it?

The most successful and practically accessible method of substantially augmenting parasympathetic tone is the HeartMath approach, in which a personal computer-based heart rate monitor (via an earlobe clip sensor) is used (http://www.heartmath.com/downloads/corporate/case-studies/impact-corp-111609.pdf). The user is taught how to achieve “coherence,” or working to bring the natural variation in heart rate (“beat-to-beat variability”) into synchrony with the respiratory cycle. As odd as it sounds, HeartMath is a very powerful technique that, once mastered (generally requiring several months of consistent practice of several minutes per day), can help achieve the relaxation response and enhanced parasympathetic tone to reduce the incidence of atrial fibrillation.

Josiah
Re: HeartMath
January 26, 2013 03:17PM
Josiah,

They now market their device as "emwave" and previously as "Freezeframer." I have one and I believe Hans does, too. I used it as a heart rate monitor, not its intended purpose (since I have high vagal tone anyway). Therefore can't comment.

Essentially, you synchronize your breathing with your heart to maximize respiratory sinus arrhythmia (RSA). This is just heart rate variability. As I recall, the optimum breath rate is a in and out every 6 seconds, or 5 complete breaths a minute. There is also a device marketed to reduce blood pressure and all it does is give you a signal to breathe and you follow this for 15 minutes or so. I'm traveling and on a very slow connection, but if my memory serves, this document describes the breathing. The author started by playing with a Freezeframer device [www.coherence.com]

The other part of heartmath is thinking kind/loving thoughts in your heart. If you Google Loving kindness meditation, there is a Buddhist approach to this. See the loving kindness reference near the end of this article and the reference to increasing parasympathetic tone: [www.theatlantic.com]

I believe the device probably works, I'm not sure you need to spend the money on the device if you 1) adopted the in/out 6 second breathing and 2) coupled it with loving kindness meditation, then practiced regularly for 15 minutes a day, you'd get most of the benefit without the high tech bells & whistles.

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login