Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

finally found health ins.!!

Posted by Jill 
finally found health ins.!!
January 13, 2013 04:20PM
Hoorah! friends helped me jump through all hoops necessary to apply for preexisting condition policy with affordable premium. Im hoping this will help me see Dr. Natale soon. Can anyone help steer me to making an appt. with him and will he require all new testing or look at my old records? Also how do I do this without alienating my current Ep or should I care? My EP insists that staying in Afib for 6 months will not effect the siccess of ablaton. Murray, I know you would strongly disagree.It doesny make sense to me.I'm planning to show her the Digoxin med from hell article to explain why I have been so negative about it. I can't imagine her not being offended. Again, do I care?
Re: finally found health ins.!!
January 14, 2013 12:54PM
If you cannot get relief via meds, I would go ablation. MY issue based comments were based on my personal experience - aFib for a long time can cause enlargement of the left atrium, which reduces the success rate of ablation and increases the risk potential of same as the heart wall(s) become stretched and thinner, etc. I am down to 55mm (40ish is normal) diameter LA and seeking something in the below 50mm range in order to have the ablation option. As long as I am shrinking I think I will stick with the Tikosyn, but I want ablation on the table as an option in any event and asap. And that will take a wee bit more shrinking of my LA. Is your EP monitoring your LA size? Mine checks it out with almost every consult with echo and I have actually had CT scan (or was that an MRI?) to get a more accurate measurement.

Whatever you do, best of luck and hope you find NSR. These antiarrhythmics are toxic. I'd like to add Ginseng to my supplements and am waiting to speak to the cardiology pharmacologist to discuss. My EP is OK with all of the other supplements I take but advises me not to even take a TUMS without consulting pharmacology in the cardiac center.

EDIT: It occurs to me that any EP that would make a statement like that needs to be changed asap.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 01:13PM by Murray L.
January 16, 2013 08:52AM
Hi, Jill. Curious where you obtained the affordable insurance. Have a couple of friends that may help. Thanks.

/L
January 16, 2013 10:58AM
Hard to see how both affordable and allowable of prior conditions unless the state mandates no pre-existing as in Massachusetts.
January 16, 2013 03:03PM
look up info on internet at www.pciplan.gov does differ from state to state. Guys, we are probably about to get booted off this forum as thisdoes not pertain directly to afib questions. I was actually looking for answers about Natale and heart remodeling before ablation and mentioned insurance just cause I thought you would be happy for me in dealing with afib not uninsured which is a financial nightmare.
January 16, 2013 09:59PM
Jill,

First, I wouldn't worry about being off topic, health insurance is certainly topical to many afibbers, especially in the US. For example, I have insurance, but I'm locked into what I have because of the afib.

Here is some info on Natale contact info. The first is for Austin and the second for SF Calif. Salwa Beheiry, the CA contact person has posted here from time to time over the years. You can choose whichever center is better for you.

[www.tcaheart.com]
[andreanatale.com]

In my opinion, you are better off waiting to get a slot with a top person, even if you are in afib.

While I wouldn't go out of my way to upset the current EP, I wouldn't worry about it either.

I've not been to Natale, but I'm guessing he'll take whatever records you have and review them. If you want a direct answer, you might PM Shannon as he has much experience with Natale.

Regards,

George
January 17, 2013 12:34PM
thanks, George!
January 18, 2013 01:44AM
Hi Jill,

Feel free to send me any PM if you'd like with questions about my experiences with Dr. Natale. Will be happy to answer any that I can.

Shannon
January 20, 2013 01:30AM
Thanks for the information on health insurance. We want to spend some of the cold months in the south and are thinking of making a home in Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada..... doing the legwork now. Out BIGGEST issue is health insurance and coverage as we are Ontario residents right now. In Ontario almost everything is covered except dental care and prescriptions (and a few other minor items) by the government. Each resident of Ontario is covered through their taxes and through employer health taxes. What a great idea for the USA, no? Spread the costs around. Problem is that we have to wait a long time for some critical services, etc., as you know. My wait for services and quack cardiologist (first one) has caused me mucho grief here. But we are on the road to recovery. Thanks again for the information...... by the way, I am a citizen of both the USA (New York born, yech) and Canada. Was born in that window of opportunity during the 50's. Doesn't seem to matter - unless I make a home stateside I am not considered one of "We the People" in most states and many Federal departments. Go figure. Except the IRS of course.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login