Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10 years ago today...

Posted by Gill 
10 years ago today...
January 07, 2013 01:48PM
10 years ago today, January 7th 2003, I had my first ablation done by Professor Haissaguerre himself in Bordeaux. I had been in persistent AF for 18 months after many years of paroxysmal AF. It recurred after 3 days and he did an immediate touch-up. He thought one of the lines would have a gap but that was not the case.

He found a very toxic focus in the coronary sinus which he said was extremely difficult to find and ablate. I remember hearing him say "Did you see that?" and the replies from his colleagues "No, no, no" then "Yes I see it". I am sure that a less skilled EP would not have found it and the ablation would have failed.

Six days later, at home in London, AF started again and I was in despair. But it stopped after 2 hours and since then I have been free of AF.

So I am celebrating today, and will be again on January 16th when it will be 10 years of glorious NSR. I post this to give hope to others contemplating ablation, and to emphasise the importance of choosing the most skilled and experienced EP you can find.

Gill (pronounced 'Jill', and female)
TOM POPPINO
Re: 10 years ago today...
January 07, 2013 02:09PM
Gil (Jilli !) what an awesome story! congrats, proof that the operator was the key...........encouraging for sure ...so happy for you.....I too gliding along well 4.5 months post ablation.....I only used (I say only.....I love this guy) my local EP Warren Holshouser....former Nuc Sub Commander US Naval Academy.............I can only Pray I get your sucess

Tom P
ALDONA
January 07, 2013 04:58PM
GILL, THANKS FOR THIS GREAT NEWS.
WONDERFUL TIME, LIVING AF FREE.
I AM SO HAPPY TO SEE POSTS LIKE YOURS AND HOPE FOR MORE ON THIS SITE.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU.
KIND REGARDS,
ALDONA.
January 07, 2013 06:27PM
All the best to you and may your success keep going! What a great outcome! Wow...10 years....you raise the bar for the rest of us.

Tom
January 07, 2013 07:10PM
Gill,

I've only been around here 8 1/2 years, but have appreciated your posts for these years and wish you continued NSR!!!!

George
January 07, 2013 10:31PM
Wonderful Gill,

I think you may be the record holder.

Lou
January 08, 2013 06:03AM
George

I didn't find this forum until about 3 years after the ablation so you've been here longer than I have. I had done masses of research before I decided to go to Bordeaux, including reading the full version of Haissaguerre's landmark 1998 article. It was very hard work and I could have saved many hours if I had found the forum sooner.

I hang around because of the quality of the contributions - if AF ever recurs I want to be up to date with the latest developments in the field so that I can make the right decisions. I think this must be the least insane corner of the Internet!

Gill
January 08, 2013 01:17PM
Congratulations, Gill! Ten years is a milestone for NSR, to be sure. May you have many decades more.

Best to you,
Jackie
January 08, 2013 10:30PM
Gill that is great news. On April 2 I will be 1 year after my Bordeaux ablation with Dr. Melize Hocini. It is heartening to know that you have had 10 solid years of NSR. I raise my Glass of LSV8 and toast to your continued success.

Cheers
Adrian
January 09, 2013 04:56AM
Fantastic Gill, What a wonderful story! I am five weeks out from my touch-up with Pr. Jais and all is well. The Bordeaux group is fabulous.

Steve
January 15, 2013 01:39PM
Awsome! My dad will see Dr. Natale in a month. I hope he too will be able to celebrate many years of good health. Hope to hear from you on your 20th anniversary of a nicely beating heart.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login