Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help new to flecainide

Posted by siri 
help new to flecainide
December 17, 2012 05:53AM
I have for a number of years had my P.A.F rate controlled with Atenolol. Although the episodes became more frequent--one per month on average-- I managed to function o.k. However a couple of months ago I saw a new E.P. in London who thought I would benefit from going on Flecainide and cutting my Atenolol by half. Last week I started with 50mg twice day of Flec, 25mg of Atenolol and 2.5 Bendroflumethiazde.
Within 24 hours I had a really fast bout of A.F. and for only the second time in five years I went to A&E. I was kept in.
The cardiologist doubled my Flec to 100mg the following morning and within 2-3 hours I was back in N.S.R but I found it a horrible experince.
I started to feel as if I was blacking out called to a nurse who helped me on to my bed. She looked at the moniter and said well you are back in N.S,R, but now your blood pressure is too low!! I felt better after a few hours but it was the most scarey experience I have had with A.F.
I am now at home on 50m.g of Flec twice a day. the Atenolol is back up to 50m.g. once a day and 2.5 Bendroflumethiazde.
I can't say I feel well though and wished I had just stayed on Atenolol. I am due to see my London E.P after Christmas. I do
take some supp. after reading comments on this forum.
Is there anyone who has experienced feeling so ill when on Flec and returning to N.S.R? I would be grateful for any comments.
Tom Hopkins
Re: help new to flecainide
December 17, 2012 08:36PM
Sometimes when I am on an added dose of FLEC and convert to NSR there is a brief moment of dizziness or lightheadedness. This is followed by a low blood pressure and very slow heart rate for a while. Fortunately I have not felt too dizzy even when walking around the neighborhood. I just stop and get a hold on things. Tom
December 17, 2012 11:48PM
"Although the episodes became more frequent--one per month on average-- I managed to function o.k"

When I had 1 episode a month or sometimes 2, I always took Flec as a PIP. 1 or 2 a month was sort of liveable. When I started getting 8+ per month I decided to get an ablation. So far so good (2 mths out,standard PVI). I heard the NHS limit how many they pay for (rationed) so if I were you and I thought I might need an abatlion I'd angle for it.
December 18, 2012 03:47AM
Thank you both for your comments. My London Hospital E.P. has given me details of a CABANA trial they are running and asked if I am interested. As it is obviously random I may or may not find myself in the ablation group. I am currently reading and re-reading all the information sheets!! I am pleased that the ablation seems to be working so well for you afhound99- long may it continue.
My local G.P. thinks that in years to come everyone with A.F. will have an ablation as soon as they are diagnosed. I wonder!!
December 18, 2012 12:55PM
I agree with your G.P. that in the future everyone will get an ablation on diagnosis, especially if ablation procedures improve. It makes sense when you think about it, as AFib tends to get worse the longer you wait, and then ablation is less likely to work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login