Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with Ablation information?

Posted by Jared 
Jared
Help with Ablation information?
December 08, 2012 08:21AM
My paroxymal A-fib has worsened to the point where I need to seek surgical intervention. Any and all opinions on the best alternatives in procedures and also quality doctors would be very appreciated. I live in Iowa, so Mayo in Rochester MN would be very convenient. Is it a good option with a top doctor? Thanks in advance!
Re: Help with Ablation information?
December 08, 2012 01:20PM
Jared,

You may wish to read the results of the 2008 ablation/maze survey [afibbers.org]. If you decide to go to the Mayo Clinic Dr. Douglas Packer would probably be your best choice. However, if your afib episodes lasts 24 hours or longer or you have persistent or permanent afib I would recommend Dr. Natale.

Hans
December 09, 2012 10:07AM
I just had an afib and aflutter ablation at Cleveland Clinic by Dr Patrick Tchou. I highly recommend him.

But Mayo MN is probably the closest top notch location for you.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2012 10:10AM by gehauser.
Anonymous User
December 09, 2012 07:15PM
I HAD MY ABLATION AT UNIV. OF PA UNDER DR. DAVID LIN AND MY GOOD FRIEND JUST HAD HIS WITH DR. LIN ALSO. MY BROTHER IS HAVING HIS ABLATION AT PENN ALSO WITH DR. LIN. BUT IF IN IOWA YOU CAN FLY TO ANYPLACE SO I WOULD GET THE BEST. UNIVERSITY OF PA HAS 3 TOP GUYS AND DR. DAVID LIN IS ONE OF THEM. WHEREEVER YOU GO GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I HAD MINE IN 2008 AND I AM ON NO DRUGS NOW I AM ON THE PIP AND HAD 3 BREAKTHROUGHS SINCE THEN WHICH THE PIP WORKED AND WENT BACK INTO RHYTHM. BEST TO YOU
December 09, 2012 10:42PM
I have at least persistent aFib (long story) and was placed on TIKOSYN in Dec 2011. Since then I have had some arrhythmias and through Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, was placed on a 24/7 'event monitor' by my cardio/EP. It showed that the only thing I was having was skipped beats. And I know that this was happening when I permitted my Serum Potassium to fall off. At 4.5 I have virtually zero skipped beats. Met with the Cardio/EP (top rated) team after a month of monitoring and was told my left atrium continues to show signs of shrinking and the smaller and closer to normal - the better chance of having a successful ablation. And then he scratched his chin and said to me "It seems to me that what we have here is a medication that you are tolerating well and you have zero AFIB. I have patients that have been on TIKOSYN (dofetilide) for several years. I think my advice would be to stick with the TIKOSYN for as long as possible before looking at ablation as giant steps are being made each year in the field."

So I am. I have no idea if you have tried meds including Tikosyn (which is not for everyone) or if you have an enlarged left atrium as I did, but you certainly would want to have a consult with a TOP RATED cardiologist/EP prior to making a decision on ablation vs. medication. Ask about the CABANA study (maybe look it up on the internet/google) - it is a multi facility study of meds versus ablation in terms of efficacy, long term results, costs, etc. I would definitely want a consult with a TOP RATED cardiologist/EP based on plenty of data and feedback from patients. My guys are considered two of the top in the world and do hundreds of ablations every year.

This, at least in my case, is not something to be rushed into blind. One thing for sure is that permanent or persistent aFib needs to be addressed FAST... REAL FAST. It will result in remodelling of the heart, the worst part of which is enlargement of the left atrium which puts you at risk and makes ablation exponentially more difficult.

Nuff said. For what it is worth.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login