Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Week 15 Post Ablation - had a 2 min episode this morning

Posted by Tom Poppino 
Tom Poppino
Week 15 Post Ablation - had a 2 min episode this morning
December 06, 2012 10:03AM
Much to my dismay I went into afib for about 2.5 minutes this morning at 9 AM here at work. I am 15 weeks post ablation....stopped on it's own quickly........I had a simialr duration episode at week 4 post ablation........no trigger either?........

Tom
Re: Week 15 Post Ablation - had a 2 min episode this morning
December 06, 2012 10:51AM
Are you sure it was AF? 3 weeks after ablation I had what I thought was AF, so I recorded it on the phone monitor and took a Flec. When I saw the EP he said I had no AF showing at any time to date
Anonymous User
December 06, 2012 12:36PM
I saw your note about red wine- maybe you need to switch to a light beer for the occasional drink (many would say or not at all-)

Did your pulse feel regular or irregular? Regular is probably flutter; FWIW I had periodic bouts of post op flutter for 5 mos after my surgery (triggered by exercise). Sometimes takes a while for the inflammation to resolve.

It is still very early- no cardioversion is a success for you, right?

EB
Tom Poppino
December 06, 2012 12:45PM
yes EB felt like flutter, fast and regular.....but I had a flutter ablation too? yes I'll take a 2 min episode ! great for me

I just can't do alcohol I guess......last night's glass of red wine was a big one too, so maybe that's it?

T
Anonymous User
December 06, 2012 02:57PM
Dr. Sirak told me he had seen inflammation 6-8 months post op; it causes flutter runs like you describe. If your pulse was irregular, that's a different deal.

Stay patient my friend!
December 06, 2012 03:19PM
Tom,

If may have also been a quick bout of tachy---if it was regular---I wouldn't worry,
And i would say no alcohol but that bottle of Bordeaux from the time that I had the first ablation is sitting at home, and someday I know I will have one glass, so how can I chastize others.

Steve
Tom, I am almost 3 months post my redo. The EP said he only had to touch the right veins to re-isolate them and only applied a few burns in the 1.5 hour procedure. I have had self terminating bouts since that are short mostly. I am also for the past 4 weeks getting lots more ectopics since returning to playing soccer. I had a doozy of an attack after soccer on the weekend which I think is the worst I have ever had in my 4 years of dealing with AFIB, it spontaneously resolved after 40 mins as I was taken to an ER bed almost at the point of collapse still in my football strip. It may have been worse due to the fact the previous day was really hot and I may not have drunk enough water, having said that I didn't feel dehydrated. That would help to lower my blood pressure hence the pronounced feinting feeling.

My esophagus is directly behind the right PVs so the EP took it very carefully when abating there to avoid fistula. I think the veins have reconnected and I think the EP does as well. Then again perhaps the rubbing of the esophagus on the areas treated is somehow keeping irritated for longer. It does seem the action of running aggrevates it, I can feel those sensations on the right side of the sternum.

I have to wait another 3 months to see if it settles down and if not then it is ablation #3. Has anyone heard of a technique used to displace the esophagus to allow safer ablation? I want to talk to the EP about that if it comes to it.

MikeJ
Hi MikeJ,

Your mention of a football strip makes me think you are in the UK. If so, where did you have your ablation done and who did it? Are there any UK EPs you would recommend? I am in London and about to get the wheels moving for an ablation so would appreciate any "local" knowledge,

All the best.

Justine
Tom Poppino
December 06, 2012 07:48PM
Mike, wow you are pushing it hard and yes dehydration a big factor........are you supplementing? yes I have heard of a method of moving the esophagus so as to avoid burning....a Japanese method I think.........I like you had burns very close to my esophagus

Tom
Justine, very perceptive. I am from the UK but live in Australia.

Sabina Ernst (London) did the PVI on a school mate of mine and he is a Medical Doctor.

Another person I know went to Professor Schilling (also London) and is also highly regarded. The EP who did mine is a professor and apparently does a lot of the failed PVIs knows both of them. Good luck!

Tom, let's hope the healing process leads to things stabilizing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login