Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pre-ablation conversation

Posted by Steve 
Pre-ablation conversation
November 27, 2012 07:52AM
Pr. Jais told me to go off all Flecainide five days before the procedure, no PIP. He is worried that certain aberrant foci will be masked by the Flec during the ablation. That said, prior to the ablation, I was planning to pump myself full of magnesium, IM, liquid, capsules etc to keep my heart quiet before the procedure. But in theory, couldn't the magnesium also have the same affect and suppress certain cells as opposed to letting them fire away?

Steve
Re: Pre-ablation conversation
November 27, 2012 08:20AM
My doc told me the same thing re Flec. 5 days before Ablation no more Flec. I was really worried about getting AF and having to live with it for up to 28 hrs (The max duration I have had AF without it self-resolving). But as it happened I had one bout of AF 4 or 5 days before the procedure that resolved in 2-3 hrs and nothing after that so I escaped the need for a TEE.

I don't know about use of Mg beforehand. I didn't ask that.
GeorgeN
November 27, 2012 09:00AM
Hi Steve,

Obviously a question for Pr. Jais. My thought is the mag would have a very short half life, so even going off it a couple of days before might be good enough. I remember having a mulitiyear run of NSR, then thinking I was sensitive to the fillers in the supps, so I quit everything. It only took a day or two for afib to appear for such a magnesium waster as me.

Another thought is going off beforehand, but saving your heroics for after the ablation to keep everything as settled as possible then.

Good luck!!!!

George
November 27, 2012 01:10PM
Thanks Afhound, Thanks George, Sounds like good advice. Lets hope this is it!

Steve
November 29, 2012 01:20PM
Hi George,

Pr. Jais's response was to keep pumping myself full of magnesium.

Steve
November 29, 2012 10:14PM
Hi Steve,

I would think Dr, Jais will have little problem with IV isoproterenol getting your hot spots triggered so he can zap them for good...

Best of luck, when is the actual ablation and I take it you are already there in Bordeaux??

Shannon
December 01, 2012 12:35AM
Hi Shannon,

I arrived in Bordeaux yesterday from.Barcelona. All set to.go. Spanish security were the first ones to hassle me on the supplements and in the hubbub we lost our laptop. I have learned to.accept the chaos and if the af is gone for.good.next week, I can deal.with it. Post Flec I had a one hour episode that
resolved itself yesterday. So as a long time persistent afibber, I take that as a huge improvement.
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login