Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad A fib post ablation

Posted by Will 
Will
Bad A fib post ablation
November 22, 2012 07:41AM
Hi

Just under two days post first ablation. My trigger was always sleep on my left side so I usually only had problems at night and took 100mg Flec before bed and it kept it in check. The past year saw increased episodes so doc recommended ablation as I am relatively young - 41 - and fit.

Had op on Tues lunch. Occasional flutter during evening and last night but extended episodes since awake this morning and much more severe than I am used to. All info says this is normal due to swelling but am obviously upset and am seeking solace here !!!

Nearly 48 hours post op and I had hoped for more - am I being unrealistic ?
Re: Bad A fib post ablation
November 22, 2012 08:11AM
I had a bad one the day after the ablation. I took some Flec and it went away. I guess it is nothing unusual so soon after the ablation.
Anonymous User
November 22, 2012 09:19AM
Will,

Talk to your surgeon. The procedure causes inflammation that can trigger afib and aflutter, so episodes are not uncommon in the first 3-4 months.

Hope it calms down.

EB
November 22, 2012 10:12AM
My first week after ablation was rough...couldn't sleep on either side, nasty tachy twice (day after and 7 days later)....nearly six weeks later it's all settling down nicely. Be patient and don't overdo exercise and stay away from triggers, etc. The inflammation is rampant the first week or so.

Tom
November 22, 2012 10:30AM
Hi Will,

Sorry your initial experience post ablation is a rough one. It doesnt necessarily mean more will need to be done anytime soon. You just have to see how it settles out in the coming weeks. Ditto on taking the anti-inflammatories big time now and insuring solid magnesium and potassium repletion as detailed endlessly on this site, particularly if you have not made that a priority so far.

You may well benefit from an anti-arrhythmic drug and possibly a calcium channel blocker for a few months while the inflammation settles and the healing progresses.

Check with you EP asap as EB suggested too. He needs to know just what is going on now. Did they give you any on-going monitoring apparatus such as the Life-Watch cardiac monitor that you test yourself with every day for the first few weeks and then every other day for four months and send in the EKG by phone to the Lifewatch monitoring system??

Who did you ablation and in what hospital?

Best of luck from here on out,
Shannon
November 22, 2012 02:07PM
Will - Over the years, there many people who have reported some rough times post-ablation, so you aren't alone, but the good news is that, typically, ablated hearts do settle down once the burn inflammation begins to calm down. Obviously, check with your EP but know that the heart can remain irritable for three months and sometimes longer. Many of us found that using supportive supplements for not only heart energy but to reduce inflammation plus good antioxidant support helped smooth the transition.

I agree with Shannon that having the monitor is a big comfort and reassurance that all is as 'normal' as can be expected during the recovery phase. If you don't have one, you may want to investigate what's involved in getting one. Mine was the old cumbersome version as it was nine years ago, but the new technology makes it a breeze and it's mentally very comforting to have that tool right at your fingertips.

Just try to be calm and treat your heart with plenty of TLC.

Jackie
November 22, 2012 03:23PM
Hang in there Will.
The first few weeks after my ablation, there where times when my heart was all over the place. What I experienced was not like my typical afib attacks. I took it real easy for six weeks after the ablation and then returned to work. From then on I had four wonderful afib free years before having some breakthroughs. For me the key is to totally avoid all the common triggers, like msg, caffeine, ice cold drinks, lying on my left side and most importantly avoiding all alcohol.
Be patient Will, I'm sure things will greatly improve for you. Are you trying any of Hans anti inflammatory supplements?

All the best to you,

Lou
November 22, 2012 03:26PM
Will,

Sorry to hear about your post-ablation problems. You may wish to get started on our standard post-ablation protocol if you have not already done so. You can find it here [afibbers.org]

Hans
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login