Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bordeaux Touch-up

Posted by Steve 
Bordeaux Touch-up
November 15, 2012 04:42PM
Hi Everybody,

I have had couple of short afib events a a few tachy events, so I have decided to return to Bordeaux for a touch up on December 3rd. They really got me in quickly. Prof. Jais had predicted this scenario might happen, so this development isn't a surprise. He said that if this did happen 85% of the work had been done. So I assume the risk must be lower? At first I considered going local in Boston, but then reconsidered and thought why? I have been to one of the best, and mine was a tough case, so this decision is easy.

Another quick plug for the Bordeaux group-----Every time (and this is no exaggeration) that I email Pr. Jais with a question, he gets back to me 24 hours. I can't get my own EP to return my calls, so my principal EP contact is a person on another continent. As for the insurance company, the last time I threatened to do the procedure here and pointed out the cost difference, and they quickly said yes. I hope it works again. I recommend this method for anyone who wants to go to Bordeaux. My last procedure was $14,000, about $2000.00 out of pocket.

I am also anxious to see if they use the Cardioinsight device, the mapping instrument. When I was there, Pr. Jais said it was just about ready for prime time. and I know that Pr. Haissaguerre is a big fan.

No I know that southwest France is not as nice in December as it is in June, so my wife and I are going to spend a little time in Barcelona ( I am a big soccer fan), one our favorite cities in the world.

I hope this ablation does it!

Steve
Re: Bordeaux Touch-up
November 15, 2012 08:20PM
Hi Steve,
I'm sure it a will be a breeze and get things buttoned down. Will be interesting if they are using hte Caridoinsight vest yet .. keep us posted and best of luck .. Enjoy Barcelona.. I love that city as well.

Shannon
Elizabeth H.
November 15, 2012 11:03PM
I have read that the doctors in France were having a protest walkout, they are very unhappy because of the low fees that they get from the gov. which dictates what wages they are to get for various proceedures, wonder how long those proceedures will continue to be so cheap.

Liz
November 16, 2012 07:15AM
Hi Shannon,

I will ask a lot of questions and take lot of notes about the Cardioinsight vest.

One thing that I am curious about is that a TEE is not required this time. Does anybody have any reason as to why?

Steve
November 16, 2012 07:49AM
They dispensed with the TEE for me because I had last had AF a week before the procedure and it was a brief 2 hour episode that resolved itself.
November 16, 2012 10:14AM
Elizabeth

I might be wrong, but from what I have read I thought it was just the doctors treating sprains in ski resorts that are going on strike. They get paid more for treating broken bones but argue that sprains are the same amount of work so should be paid the same. If this is correct i don't think it will affect heart surgery in Bordeaux.

Gill
Elizabeth H.
November 16, 2012 02:45PM
Gill:

Yes, you are wrong, the french surgeons, amongst others, are protesting their pay, I googled it, I don't want to post all of it here.

Liz
November 16, 2012 05:51PM
Hopefully Prof. Jais will do his magic and send you home with the best Christmas gift ever.
I'll be thinking of you on the 3rd. and sending you some good vibes.
Best wishes Steve,

Lou
November 16, 2012 07:52PM
Thanks Lou, I have always tried to stay optimistic. All I can do is try to make good decisions. For all the disruptions, the plan is pretty straightforward-- go to the best EP, stick with "The Strategy" and then hope it works.

Steve
November 17, 2012 02:36AM
When I was there in 2005, Prof. Haissaguerre said it would be fine to enjoy some French wine after the ablation. It's taken a long time for it to sink in and accept that any kind of booze for me is like playing Russian roulette. I have been totally avoiding alcohol and it has resulted in no afib. Just a thought.
I have two other afib friends who will have their ablations done in Bordeaux during the next two weeks. So my thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

Lou
aldona
November 21, 2012 12:26AM
Hello Steve,

I had seconad ablation in Bordeaux march 2007. It was much easier than the first one in 2006/ about 1.5 hours, first one about 4 hours/.
I had reoccurance after the first one, after 9 months of AF free life...
I did not bat a lid and booked myslef for touch up, and I have been paying full fees both times.

I will never ever forget the great care I have received in Bordeaux hospital.

For me it was very dounting to make decision to travel from Australia to Europe....but I decided what was the best for me, as during first ablation locally/Sydney/ I had complication that finished with me in intensive care/extravasiation of contrast into pericardium/.

I am still in contact with doctor Jais, and make reports to him every year when anniversary comes.
He saved my life, literally, as with AF I did not have life at all...

I am sure you are going to do well, and touch up will fix you for good....
That is going to be beatiful Christmas for you, and next many, many, many years, life AF free!!!

I have been in Bordeaux in January and March, a bit cold as for my liking,but I like the city a lot and could walk there forever...

I will be thinking about you on 3rd.smiling smiley
Enjoy Barcelona.
All the best.
Aldona.
November 21, 2012 11:01AM
Steve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Lou, I have always tried to stay
> optimistic. All I can do is try to make good
> decisions. For all the disruptions, the plan is
> pretty straightforward-- go to the best EP, stick
> with "The Strategy" and then hope it works.

>
> Steve

Hi Steve, your comments in bold above hits the nail squarely on the head! And you've made a wise choice in both regards.

Be well,
Shannon
November 22, 2012 06:13AM
Thanks Aldona and Shannon.

Your support really helps!
Happy Thanksgiving
Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login