Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lying down

Posted by afhound99 
Lying down
October 22, 2012 07:09PM
2 days from a PVI ablation, I have no AF when I am sitting or standing. The MINUTE I lay flat on my back, even on a couch, I get AF with a heart rate down to 55 or 60 (Post ablation standing heart rate is 78 - doc says it will slowly go back to normal).
If I stand up. It goes! Lie down and then AF again. I never had that kind of on-demand AF before. EP said the procedure went perfectly and noticed no issues. Obviously I will call doc tomorrow.
Re: Lying down
October 22, 2012 07:29PM
Hi Afhound, so you just had the ablation on Friday? Where did you wind up going and who did the ablation?

For sure report to your EP tomorrow, but this is still very early in the blanking period of course when some breakthroughs can happen that don't necessarily imply the need for more ablation.
Normally a postural trigger like that implies a vagal response, but that may not be so jsut after all the burning and inflammation.

Remind us again, were you paroxysmal or persistent AFIB??

What post ablation cardiac drugs did he put you on?

Hang in there and take it easy and may be best to prop yourself up and sleep tonight in a more or less supported and comfortable incline position but not too flat. .. Like in a Lazy Boy or a bed with a big wedge pillow under your back?

Shannon
October 22, 2012 07:35PM
Massachusetts General Hospital, EP Lab - an experienced EP - I was paroxsymal. No post ablation drugs but said use what I was using before if necessary (Flecainide and Diltiazem).
October 22, 2012 07:46PM
I just had my ablation last tuesday...and I noticed being uncomfortable while laying down the first couple of days, esp left side - that heart is somewhat swollen - I bet if you give it some time you'll be fine. Why don't you take the two drugs? My EP's outfit requires everyone to take a rhythm control drug during the blanking period, either a beta blocker or something else like Flec. I'm using Flec 100 mg twice daily - my heart is now purring like a kitten after a slightly bumpy start.

Tom
October 22, 2012 07:50PM
Thanks Tom and Shannon. I think I'll do just that - take the drugs I used to take as PIP - 300mg Flec and 40mg Diltiazem.
October 22, 2012 08:16PM
I have had a similar experience. I think you will find things will calm down before long.

Best of luck to you,

Lou
October 28, 2012 10:59AM
Lou

Well it did settle down as you helpfully said , so far anyway - although I have taken a couple of Flec+Dilt a few times since the ablation a week ago, but some of this has just been for peace of mind "just in case". I haven't seen a repeat of the on-demand AF I mentioned as happening the day after the procedure. That was a really weird AF. It felt like my heart was running like a badly balanced clothes dryer, it was making my whole body shake with a slow 50 bpm rock and roll. I never got AF like that before. So I am hoping this was just a one-off from inflammation. We'll see I guess. So far I am running at about 68bpm at rest compared to 58-60 before the ablation which is down from where it was a few days ago.

Only issue now is I either got swollen lymph glands in the groin from the catheter insertion or a hernia that could've happened any time.. going to check that out soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2012 11:01AM by afhound99.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login