Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anathesia during ablation?

Posted by Diane98683 
Anathesia during ablation?
October 13, 2012 10:57PM
To all,

In my reading up on ablation procedures from different clinics (and talking with one local EP) I'm learning some places do full anathesia, but a lot don't (they just use a sedative). I was just reading the Bordeaux procedure, and they just use a sedative, as does the University of Utah (their website said that there is a point in the procedure where they ask you to turn over). My local EP would use full anathesia.

Wny the difference? For those on this list who have had ablations, were you under full anathesia or just using a sedative? If you were just using a sedative, do you remember anything about the procedure? My concern, if I were just sedated, is I would still be very anxious while they were doing it.

Diane
Re: Anathesia during ablation?
October 14, 2012 08:37AM
Diane, I have been dropping in on the BB since around August 2006 and since then I have had 5 ablations for Atrial Fibrilliation and Left Atrial Flutter.

I am constantly amazed by afibbers forever asking questions about ablations that never came into my mind, they can't have had the same condition as me.

I was an AFIBBER and all I wanted was out from this hideous affliction whatever the risk or consequencies, I would not have cared if Mickey Mouse turned up to do the proceedure.

I have travelled to India and France ( 3 times) in my quest and every ablation has been a piece of cake so don't worry too much.

I believe I have been consious throughout all the procedures but it does get boring watching the relevant screens showing the movement of the catheter so I may have dosed off!!!

At certain stages the ablation burns hurt a bit and the doc always says "are you Ok" and I always said back "Just do it" - can't be worse than giving birth???????

I have been AF free for over 2.5 years, forget the technicalities.

Barry G
PS I was never asked to turn over, I was always virtually strapped down so I couldn't move even if I wanted to.
October 14, 2012 08:43AM
I'm getting GA when mine is done next week. I'd rather be asleep. But then I ask to be asleep for everything they offer it for, from pulling teeth on up.
October 14, 2012 11:40AM
Diane, I was under general anesthesia when I had my ablation. Normally you have a choice, either conscious or general anesthesia. I imagine if you have a preference, you could plead your case to your EP. I never really thought about it, but after the fact, I probably would have chosen conscious, that way if the burning got too hot, I could at least voice my displeasure. Just kidding! If you state your preference up front, your EP and anesthesiologist would probably agree. Good luck on your ablation and may you be in NSR forever.

Jim
Tom Poppino
October 14, 2012 08:49PM
Diane, I was under "full" for my recent 8/21 ablation (4 hrs 15 mins).........I think if I were to do it over I'd be under conscious sedation - the reason? because like stated above you can react to burning especially near the esophagus.........but on the other hand I had zero complications, felt fine when I woke up and it seemed like maybe 10 mins went by....so that was good too........just question your EP on how he protects the esophagus, does he insert the groin caths, will he reduce if possible the radiation exposure time......let him know you have knowledge!

Honestly, my ablation was nearly a non event, I came home the next morning had lunch at home and got in the recliner for 3 days......

will Pray for your success!

Tom
October 14, 2012 09:27PM
Barry,

I'm so glad that the 5 ablations have worked. That's encouraging.

It sounds like such major surgery; yet replies have mentioned it being a piece of cake. Just the necessity of being on warfarin alone both before and after the procedure gives me pause, to say nothing of the procedure itself.

Diane
Shannon
October 17, 2012 11:35AM
Many EPs who formally used conscious sedation have no switched to general anesthesia after a net of studies showed an advantage in getting more precise teams mural burns under GA. The issue with conscious sedation in unexpected movement or even jerking when and pain of discomfort from being strapped done so long happens, when a person moons of suddenlyobes right when the EP is applying a burn that isn't the desired situation and can effect the quality if the lesion.

Under GA the anesthesiologist controls your respiration so that all burns are timed to commence with the full exhale if breath through the breathing tube. Thereby significantly minimizing the chance for a less that optial ablation lesion.

There is some debate over the value of being aware to report any possible burning too close to the esophagus, but people's ability to respond under conscious sedation drugs is very unreliable and variable anyway, and there are a number of other techniques EPs use to verify no excess heat close to the esophagus so in mist cases the GA seems the better way to go, assuming you have no personal or familial experience issues with prior GA's??

Shannon
Shannon
October 17, 2012 11:38AM
Sorry for the few typos above, was typing on my IPhone screen and need to proof more carefully before postingsmiling smiley wish this BB had an 'Edit' feature after we have posted a message!

Shannon
October 17, 2012 04:33PM
Shannon,

There is an edit feature on the BB, but you have to be logged in in order to use it. Before you can log in you need to create a profile.

Hans
Shannon
October 18, 2012 09:54PM
Great Hans,

Thanx I will do so and create a profile that will save me a lot of grief smiling smiley Cant tell you how many times I am nearly finished a reply when I hit the wrong key and the whole thing vanishes and I;ve had to start all over!

Cheers
Shannon
October 22, 2012 03:41PM
I had anaesthesia on Friday. It's good and if I have a choice I always use it, for dental surgery stuff, whatever it is.
I can't see why anyone would want to be even vaguely conscious during the procedure or even during the preliminaries like the urine catheter or all the other stuff. My doc said some people have a morbid fear of it so they will do conscious sedation when asked.
October 22, 2012 04:43PM
afhound,

I think this explains why many afibbers prefer conscious sedation [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Hans
October 22, 2012 06:33PM
Why do some people get urine catheters? I have had 3 ablations with 3 Dr's and no catheters. I'm not complaining, just wondering.

Adrian
October 22, 2012 06:56PM
Adrian,

I did not have a urine catheter inserted for my two ablations either. I have no idea why some EPs use them and others don't.

Hans
October 22, 2012 07:05PM
Don't they have to use them (urine catherers) if you're under GA for 5 hrs and not supposed to move for 5 hrs after that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login