Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pacemaker

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
pacemaker
October 05, 2012 10:41PM
I have Afib real bad, in fact I have been in Afib, mostly since Saturday night, 6 days, and atenolol is not working. Does anyone know if they have to destroy your hearts own electrical system to put in a pacemaker?
Re: pacemaker
October 06, 2012 12:38AM
MJay,

I think what you are referring to is an AV node ablation, which would leave you pacemaker and blood thinner dependent for life. I had a pacemaker implanted in 1996 with hopes it would help my afib. They first tried to talk me into an AV node ablation which thankfully I refused. The way it was explained to me was it doesn't stop your afib, it just stops you from feeling it. I don't know if this is true in all cases. I would think if you are still in afib you would still have a restricted blood supply throughout your body and for me at least be unable to do much physically. Someday pacemakers may be advance enough to actually have a positive affect on afib. It certainly didn't help me at all.
Pacemakers play a huge roll in patients who actually have their heart beat extremely slowly or sometimes even stop for a few seconds. Have you ever experienced this or have you ever passed out during an afib event? Have you been cardioverted in the past? I am curious how old you are. Do you know what type of afib you have? Is your Dr. aware of how long you have been in afib? How often and how long does a typical afib attack last?
I am sure you will get some very helpful posts over the next couple of days. I hope you get back to normal rythm asap. With a weekend upon us a visit to the ER may be a wise thing to consider.

Lou
October 06, 2012 11:08AM
I don't think atenolol stops afib - at least that is what 2 cardiologists told me.
Claudia
October 06, 2012 01:07PM
A pacemaker will not cure your afib. Usually, it is used for heart block (heart stopping) or slow heart rate. Some beta blockers will cause heart block. Pacemakers are great, if needed. However, like all surgeries, do your home work first. Are you seeing an EP?
Claudia
October 06, 2012 01:11PM
AV node ablation is not performed much anymore according to the Cleveland Clinic website on AFib. And, you're right, it doesn't stop AFib, it just makes it to where you can't feel it any more.
Anonymous User
October 06, 2012 04:08PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I am 60 and have never been in Afib for so many days. I first got it in 2007 and I could control it with magnesium. Then, I controlled it with that and a little Atenolol, only when I got Afib. Metopropolol made my heart rate instantly down to the 30's and dried out my eyes, so I chose Atenolol. Atenolol has been working, but this is the first time it did not work after a couple days of afib. I had Afib for a few days last January and a few days in August, but never for 6 days. I get it alot, but am able to go out of it with a little extra atenolol. I had Rheumatic fever.

I'm so mad at myself right now becuase open enrollment just passed and I took the insurance that I could not go to the Cleveland Clinic with. I do have access to some good docs though, but I took the list with the cheaper hospitals, just to lower my premium.

I had an ablation in 2008, which did not work, in fact it made it worse and I got pericarditis afterward for 3 months and could not lay down. Had to sleep sitting up. The machine blew a fuse during my procedure and they took a 1/2 hour break while the janitor replaced the fuse I was told. I immediately knew something was wrong. I coughed all night after. A chest CT 3 months later showed possible thickening of pericardium. I think it was burned, but not positive. I think the machine shuts down as a safety precaution when they get the tissue too hot.

Last January I went to the hospital with Afib and they were going to cardiovert me but wanted to do a TE first in a few days, however I went out of Afib on my own right after I got out of the hospital, so I cancelled.

I'm sick of this. It seems like my diaphram or upper abdomen feels bloated or thicker when I have Afib and that my stomach is causing a strangling feeling in my throat. If I bend forward I gasp for air from the pressure on that area. Also my head feels full or something, when I lean forward. I had a fundoplication around 2005 and I wonder if it has caused some of this.

I'm going to try Linus Pauling's 6,000 Units of Vit C / Lysine - just give it a try.
Anonymous User
October 08, 2012 07:04AM
"I'm going to try Linus Pauling's 6,000 Units of Vit C / Lysine - just give it a try. "

You do that, and tell us what result you got, no matter what it is, please?

PeggyM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login