Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resveratrol for stopping afib

Posted by Hans Larsen 
Resveratrol for stopping afib
June 11, 2012 09:20PM
I thought I would post the following email I recently received thinking that it may be beneficial for others to try.

I have had paroxysmal vagally mediated A-fib for a few years, and since taking Resveratrol (polygonum cuspidatum) root extract (I use Pure Encapsulations brand), it has disappeared completely, unless I get very very overtired, but then I can get rid of it (convert/ revert) much easier and faster than before. My previous triggers no longer set it off. Resveratrol works quickly, I just empty some of the powder into my mouth and hold it there - that is how it is best absorbed.

Hans
Nel
Re: Resveratrol for stopping afib
June 11, 2012 10:47PM
Hans, I don't really know what kind of Afib I have...I've been in Afib since last May a year ago..my heart beat stays around 80 most of the time..Before this last year, I had been on Amiodarone for about 2 or 3 years without an episode. Before that I had 8 or 9 cardioversions over a period of 7 years. I went into the hospital last May with a hemetoma and that brought on my Afib...My Cardiologist is just keeping my BP in check with meds.so far..
Do you think it would be a good idea for me to try Resveratrol? Would it be safe for anyone?
Thank you.....Nel
alex
June 11, 2012 11:30PM
Hello Hans,

there has been a lot of comment about how a major or the major researcher on resveratrol falsified his results.

I realise this doesn't mean automatically that it has become useless or harmful but would appreciate your comments

thanks

Alex
Elizabeth
June 12, 2012 11:20AM
What do you think about ranolazine for pip? See link below
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
GeorgeN
June 12, 2012 01:02PM
QT interval prolongation can be an issue with some meds. It appears that ranolazine can have this. Not that it is not a good choice, just something to be aware of.

Contraindications

Ranolazine is known to increase the QT interval on the electrocardiogram.[12] While the mean increase in the corrected QT interval (QTc) is approximately 6 msec, about 5 percent of individuals may have QTc prolongations of 15 msec or longer.[13]

Extended QT intervals increase the risk of sudden cardiac death (SCD). The increase was 60% in adults, independently of other known risk factors, in an analysis of the Rotterdam Study.[14]

Because of this, caution should be taken when ranolazine is used in combination with other medications that increase the QT interval. In addition, because the effect of ranolazine on the QT interval is increased in the setting of liver dysfunction, it is contraindicated in persons with mild to severe liver disease.[1]

Normal dosing: 500 mg PO BID initially; may increase dose based on clinical symptoms, not to exceed 1000 mg PO BID

Dose in the afib study: 2000 mg of oral ranolazine.
Lisa
June 13, 2012 02:30PM
Hello,

Thanks Hans for posting about reservatrol- what would the dosing be? There is some interesting research on this and ventricular arrythmias in rats-
Did the writer of the post use this as a daily supplement and for an episode as well?
I'd like to try it but wonder about brands and dose

Tx
Lisa
Shannon
June 13, 2012 06:16PM
That scandal only effected a small amount of research by one Indian PhD and the many benefits of resveratrol have been confirmed with numerous other uncontested research using tried and true methodolgies.

Its a myth too that this doc in question was THE major resveratrol researcher or even A major researcher in the field as had been initially reported to make the story more juicy sounding. A general opinion on the matter after all this had been investigated and sorted through from a large group of genuine active resveratrol and pterostilbene researches all agree that this guys cheating binge do not, in any way, lessen or impune all the other well done research results pointing to resveratrol's potential benefits and limitations.

Apparently the falsification he did was mainly to save time and expense in his own labs research and yet you can easily draw a well vetted conclusion about resveratrol from a mountain of other well designed studies that have nothing to do with this guy.

Typical hype story in the press that added more confusion than clarity to the real issue.
Shannon
Richard Conrad
June 17, 2012 12:58AM
Bad or dishonest research aside, resveratrol does have benefits for many, and for me, it stopped my paroxysmal vagally mediated A-fib. This is an empirical result, for just me, and everyone is different. Richard
Lisa
June 21, 2012 09:10PM
Richard,

What is your brand, dose and timing for taking resveratrol if you don't mind my asking?

Tx,
Lisa
Lyn
July 08, 2012 09:17AM
I was just in a-fib 10 hours. Just now converted after taking one tab of of KAL Ultra Max Resveratrol and 5 mg. sublingual pregnenolone. Not sure which did it or if it was coincidence.
July 22, 2012 12:10AM
Hans:

I posted a reply to this thread, but it does not seem to move up to the top of the forum list.
July 22, 2012 01:06PM
Lynn,

The latest post on the thread does not appear at the top. The postings are in date order as they are posted.

Hans
September 04, 2018 02:29PM
Richard Conrad
Bad or dishonest research aside, resveratrol does have benefits for many, and for me, it stopped my paroxysmal vagally mediated A-fib. This is an empirical result, for just me, and everyone is different. Richard

Richard, are you still Afib free? Which brand did you use?
Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login