Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Berberine

Posted by Bo 
Bo
Berberine
May 26, 2012 08:15PM
I wanted to put this to the group et al - Life Extension in their afib protocol lists berberine as an ingredient in said protocol - I can find very little mention of it or what it does anywhere else?> Has anybody any knowledge of this??
Anonymous User
Re: Berberine
May 26, 2012 09:50PM
Berberine = 860,000 googles

Berberine [en.wikipedia.org] might be helpful. A few excerpts:

Traditional use
Berberine prevents and suppresses proinflammatory cytokines, E-selectin,[14] and genes, and increases adiponectin expression[15] which partly explains its versatile health effects. Berberine is a nucleic acid-binding isoquinolone alkaloid with wide potential therapeutic properties.[16]

Newer and experimental uses
During the last few decades, many studies have shown berberine has various beneficial effects on the cardiovascular system and significant anti-inflammatory activities.[17] A Canadian report suggested berberine can effectively reduce intracellular superoxide levels in LPS-stimulated macrophages. Such a restoration of cellular redox by berberine is mediated by its selective inhibition of gp91phox expression and enhancement of SOD activity.[18]

Berberine exerts up-regulating activity on both the low-density-lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) and the insulin receptor (InsR). This one-drug-multiple-target characteristic might be suitable for the treatment of metabolic syndrome.[19][20]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2012 10:01PM by Erling.
May 27, 2012 07:37AM
Yes Erling I can google also - I have no idea what all that means - and I was trying to find out if anybody had used it and their results, and why LEF thinks it would be beneficial? RG
May 27, 2012 01:15PM
Bo - Berberine has long been popular for killing Candida. The fact that it helps reduce proinflammatory cytokines may be why LEF puts it in their protocol. Many years ago, I tested positive for Candida when I also had AF. I took berberine for several months and while it definitely eliminated the Candida, I don't recall that I had any improvement with the AF although the anti-inflammatory effects were undoubtedly useful behind the scenes. Jackie
Shannon
May 27, 2012 03:46PM
Berberine has action very much like a Class III anti-arrhythmic and as such if you are taking Sotalol you need to be careful with the dose. I took a 300mg dose while taking 80mg/ 2x day of Sotalol and got a pronounced slowing of heart rate similar to an extra dose of Sotalol. I would have gone bradycardic on it had I not had a pacemaker which prevents me from going below 60bpm in any event.

But if you are not on Sotalol or some other betablocker or other Class III AR drug you should have no such concerns and it may well provide some added protection for AFIB triggering. Though how much and to what degree would be a matter of individual experimentation with various doses.

Berberine is also one of the most powerful aids to control and actually help cure insulin resistance and even type 2 diabetes! Take 50omg 3x a day as well as strong doses of other essential nutrients that help with glucose metabolism such as chromium, Biotin. alpha or R -lipoic Acid and a few others.

Berberine has been shown to be as powerful and much better tolerated as Metformin..

Here is a good article on its uses for T2DM and Insulin resistance.[tahomaclinicblog.com]

Shannon
Elizabeth
May 28, 2012 09:11PM
Erling
This is for you on vagal a fib
[www.tsoc.org.tw]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login