Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GERD and Digestive Disorders?

Posted by Paul M 
GERD and Digestive Disorders?
May 16, 2012 12:42PM
What is the prevalence of GERD as an Afib trigger and do other disgestive disorders trigger Afib episodes?
Ivan
Re: GERD and Digestive Disorders?
May 16, 2012 11:39PM
Look for my recent postings. As for myself, I feel I have my AFIB 100% controlled using Zantac or Pepsid ac every 5 days or when I feel a burning sensation in chest. With me burning sensation in my chest is a result of acid reflux which causes my AFIB. I have completely eliminated any PAC's or AFIB using these meds.

According to one study, approximately 44% of the participants had AFIB resulting from GERD. In another study, all patients had actual contact between the esophagus and left atrium near the left pulmonary arteries. Also, 40% of the patients in that study did not have a "fat pad" between esophagus and left atrium, allowing possible irritation of left atrium. It may not be the vagus nerve being affected as we may think, it may be the left atrium directly.
May 17, 2012 11:36AM
Thanks Ivan, i believe my initial episode was brought on by acid reflux / digestive problems. I am currently tackling the reflux and also managing the AF with diet having weaned myself off of Bisoprol. Fingers crossed!
May 17, 2012 01:45PM
Paul,

You may find this excerpt from our LAF Survey IV to be of interest (published in Lone Atrial Fibrillation: Toward a Cure: Volume 1).

Do you suffer from acid reflux or have you ever been diagnosed with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Thirty-eight or 37% of respondents answered yes to this question (40% vagal, 38% mixed, 33% adrenergic, and 28% permanent). Respondents who had answered yes were also more likely to report a correlation between an afib episode and a flare-up of their condition as well as an association between diet and episode severity. Eighteen (51%) of the 35 respondents who specified their disease had GERD, 29% reported acid reflux, 11% a hernia, and the remaining 9% described their condition as heartburn. Thirty respondents specified how long they had had the disorder; 11 years was the average with a range from 1 to 30 years. Heartburn and acid reflux are common symptoms of GERD so it is reasonable to conclude that 34 of the 104 respondents could be classified as having GERD. GERD, heartburn or acid reflux is not a steady condition, 10% of respondents have daily episodes, 14% have weekly, and 10% have monthly episodes for a total of 34%. This compares to the following values reported in the literature: for a random group of 1004 individuals – daily episodes = 11%, weekly (one or more per week, but not daily) = 12%, and monthly episodes = 15% for a total of 38%[8]. Thus it would not appear that afibbers are significantly different from the rest of the population when it comes to the incidence of GERD. I found no correlation between H. pylori eradication and GERD incidence or between childhood antibiotics exposure and GERD.

Have you noticed any correlation between episodes and a flare-up of GERD or a bowel disorder?
Twenty-six (41%) of the 63 respondents reporting either GERD (including heartburn and reflux) or a bowel disorder had noticed a correlation between a flare-up of their condition and worsening LAF symptoms. By far the most common correlation was between GERD and the initiation of an episode or a worsening of permanent symptoms. Eighteen of the 26 respondents (69%) reported this correlation while 3 respondents (12%) felt there was a connection with an IBS flare-up. Adding this evidence to the finding that some afibbers with GERD or reflux symptoms have found relief by taking the prescription medicine Nexium would indicate the GERD could be an important trigger for LAF and its elimination could materially improve the condition of some afibbers.

You may also find the following Conference Room sessions of interest.

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Hans
May 17, 2012 05:19PM
Thank you Hans.

Through Knowledge We Gain Strength

Protect our NHS
janet
May 18, 2012 11:01AM
Lying in bed with stomach pains and fever - gastric flu maybe. My AF started 10 years ago after lunch and nearly all episodes were daytime after eating. I had an ablation 10 months ago and have not had sustained AF since, but quite regular jumpy heart. Last night the stomach pains, cramps and wind started and my heart was v irritated. I couldn't lie on right or left side all night without setting off the fast jumpy beat - it would settle with sitting up and burping! So I have no doubt my AF is induced by digestive problems and will ask my dr about the fat pad idea. Altho the supplements are important I'm sure they aren't the answer for me. Thank you for reminding me of this .
May 18, 2012 11:32AM
Janet,

my episodes have been daytime mostly after eating. I see that the purpose of the supplements is merely to make heart more resilient to the AF as opposed to a cure although i have read that many control their condition through diet, which is what i hope to do.

I believe that my digestive problems which i have had for sometime prior to my initial AF episode alongside a build up of stress were my trigger. Working on them both :-)

Sending positive waves your way for a resolution to your problem.

P
Anonymous User
May 18, 2012 12:03PM
Hi Janet:

I have a 40-year history of digestive problems, pain, cramping and bloating affecting the vagus nerve (initially vaso-vagal syncope) and then progressing to AF. It was not until about 7 years ago that I was able to figure all this out and eventually put myself on a gluten free diet. Following that I also had to eliminate many groups of high-lectin-containing foods which would trigger AF (nightshades, legumes, corn, soy, etc.). Once I got rid of these foods my afib decreased, but it still recurs any time digestive bloating/gassiness puts pressure on the heart/lungs. I can sometimes control it with belching, coughing, breathing, and even pressure at the temples, but I will often slip in and out of afib and end up having to take a flecainide 100 mg. I usually end up in afib every three or four days. Since I have COPD my afib is also made worse by altitude, and we have had to stop going to Lake Tahoe for the summer because I was ending up in the ER too often (before I was diagnosed with AF and had access to flecainide. I am one of the fortunate ones who is always told very loudly when I am in afib, so I always know now when to do a self-conversion. No ER visits in over a year thanks to Flecainide.

Have you ever tried experimenting with your diet or keeping a dietary journal to perhaps make an association with what you are eating that sets you off?
janet
May 18, 2012 02:39PM
Thanks Paul and Neroli for your ideas.
Paul, your AF sounds very similar to mine. My current stomach virus has shown that its not just food but anything that upsets digestive system can make heart go funny.
Neroli - my first AF was after eating two bread rolls, so I tried not to eat bread. I've had more since my ablation.
All the best, janet
Ivan
May 18, 2012 03:59PM
I started to have a buring sensation in my chest followed by palpatations a few days ago. I took a pepsid ac again and it relieved all symptoms. No more palpatations. Only one or 2 pills in 7 days controls it. I feel like a new man. The essential trio was good, but never worked as good as pepsid ac!!!! or Zantac,
May 19, 2012 05:33AM
Ivan,

You must have done a lot of research on your digestive problems. What foods do you avoid and what ones do you eat more of to assist with proper digestion?
May 26, 2012 10:49AM
When looking for a solution to GERD or other gastric disturbances, it's important to consider all the potential causes...

This report was contributed here in 2004...... still useful to read if you haven't figured out a solution to your GERD problems...
Hiatal Hernia/Vagus Nerve Disorder: a leading cause of allergies & chronic illness
by Steve Rochlitz, PhD.
[www.oxygentimerelease.com]

CR Session 63 is a reivew of information provided in the book by
Sherry A. Rogers, MD that
Title: No More Heartburn – Stop the Pain in 30 days – Naturally
Subtitle: The Safe, Effective way to prevent and heal chronic gastrointestinal disorders
© 2000 Kensington Publishers
[www.afibbers.org]

A post titled: The Importance of Stomach Acid.. from 2009
[www.afibbers.org]

GERD, heartburn, immunity - importance of zinc Feb 09
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
May 26, 2012 01:51PM
Thank you Jackie.....P
June 03, 2012 10:34AM
I believe my digestive problems my be a consequence of a hiatus hernia as i have 99% of the symptoms. Its likely i will go to my GP for a scan and if hernia is diagnosed it will at least by process of elimination be something i can address. My main worry is staving off AF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login