Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

magnesium

Posted by don raven 
don raven
magnesium
March 07, 2012 12:49AM
I've read that magnesium may be helpful in reducing the frequency of afib. Any info. Thanks
Howie
Re: magnesium
March 07, 2012 10:14AM
I magnesium in the SEARCH box and got 506 hits. Have fun reading.
March 07, 2012 10:28AM
Hello, Don

It would be most helpful if you could give a bit of background, and then ask a specific question. The subject of mg is layers and layers deep, so such a broad question like this makes it difficult to answer. In actuality, the search function shows 11,809 hits, so telling you to just search may be an exercise in frustration, so try this article first and then ask a more detailed question or narrow the search parameters down and start looking.

[www.afibbers.org]

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 10:30AM by lisa s.
Murray L.
March 07, 2012 12:26PM
I would do a search on Magnesium on THIS forum. More than ample reading to keep you busy for weeks. There are some papers that relate to Magnesium as well... and well worth the read on top of the threads posted.

FYI. Magnesium for many if not most is the #1 deficiency leading to aFib. There is a recent thread where someone entered hospital for TIKOSYN uptake and possible Electrocardioversion, was given Magnesium and Potassium IV and converted to NSR before the first dose of TIKOSYN.

Read, learn, feel better.

Murray
March 07, 2012 01:49PM
Murry, that figure I came up with IS from THIS site. :-O

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
March 07, 2012 06:59PM
Holy smokes.
In any event, one wants to read up on Magnesium ON THIS site. You MUST spend the time as the medical community is generally 'with blinkers on' as to these things and you must advocate for yourself. Remember that you need to uptake the magnesium slowly (Magnesium Glycinate/Chelated.... there should be a link to it under Vitamins/Supplements) or you will need a seatbelt installed on your toilet. I began at 200mg daily and had bowel issues but stuck with it... I am now at 500mg. with intermittent issues and looking to 600mg. when I can. You've got to read.... it is just too much information to put into a post.

I have heard of several people converting to NSR based solely on bringing their Magnesium up and into line.
Tara
March 07, 2012 07:48PM
Murray,

I can't seem to get past 200mg of Magnesium. Are you saying the body will get used to it and I should just keep increasing the dosage? That could be a challenge, but if you say it is possible...

My second question is, what is the difference between Magnesium Glycinate and and Citrate, if any?

Tara
March 07, 2012 08:40PM
Tara,

Magnesium citrate acts as a laxative, magnesium glycinate does not (in most cases).

Hans
March 08, 2012 11:59AM
Hans.... I have only ever tried the Magnesium Glycinate (Chelated) and never the Citrate based on what I have read on the board here. I DID find that Magnesium Glycinate had a laxative effect for me and at first it was significant. After a short while (couple of weeks?) the bowels returned to normal and I increased to 400mg. Again, I found it had a laxative effect I believe but this time not nearly as pronounced and when that increase settled down I went to 500mg. I have only been at 500mg. for a few weeks but had a few episodes of significant 'trots' - not nearly as pronounced as in the beginning and it settled down pretty quickly. I have been waiting in anticipation and will now move to 600mg. very shortly, where I intend to remain. I would very much like to find one of my MD's willing and able to get me an Exatest or Exatest type evaluation of my IC Magnesium but none of them seem to have ever heard of Exatest and are, of course, "blinkers on", leaving me between a rock and a hard place.

Have to find a way of getting that Exatest done. It will have to be paid out of my own pocket unfortunately as there is no way it is going to be on the insurable list here.

It has been a bit of a struggle for me with the Magnesium, but of course it is always possible that it was one of the other supplements causing my bowel issues.
March 08, 2012 01:26PM
Murray,

As a lone afibber there is a 90% probability that your intracellular level of magnesium is deficient [www.afibbers.com]. So, if I were you I would forget about the Exatest and just carry on with your program to get your daily magnesium intake from supplements up to 600 mg. That together with your intake from diet (most likely about 200 mg of elemental Mg per day) should eventually establish a good magnesium status. This approach of course assumes that your kidneys are functioning properly and safely excretes any excess of magnesium and potassium.

Hans
March 08, 2012 05:54PM
Murray,

Another thought. If you are using Doctor's Best magnesium glycinate that could explain your bowel problems. This particular formulation contains bioperine (black pepper) which some people find irritating to the gastrointestinal tract. You could try the BlueBonnet product or - since you are in Canada - the Trophic chelated magnesium which should be available in your health food store.

Hans
March 08, 2012 10:47PM
Murray,

I also prefer the Bluebonnet brand to the Drs. Best.

lisa

Tara
March 08, 2012 11:27PM
Hans,

No wonder I am having such trouble with the magnesium! I will switch to the glycinate tomorrow. Thank you so much for the info.

BTW, I had my third ablation a couple of days ago with Dr. Novak in Victoria B.C., and it looks promising, from his explanation of how everything went. Having done this twice before, I am cautious not to get too excited until the 3 months of healing are complete.

Tara
RalphL
March 10, 2012 10:16PM
You may also want to try some Dead Sea bath salts. I use them in addition to taking BlueBonnet Mg. Dead sea salt is almost 80% MgCl, which is readily absorbed into the body through the skin with no bowel side effects. Last year before my Bahamas cruise I was having a lot of PVC's and small runs of afib. During the trip, I soaked in the warm ocean for a couple of hours and in the salt water pool on the ship. All of my PVC's and runs of afib went away. MgCl is the second most abundant "salt" in sea water. Go figure.
Cheers,
Ralph
gregg
Re: magnesium - bioperine?
March 11, 2012 11:20AM
I take the Doctor's Best High Absorp 100% Chelated Magnesium but I don't see "bioperine" listed anywhere on the bottle. Maybe they removed that ingredient?

I also have soft stools if I increase this to 500 mg.
March 11, 2012 04:46PM
Gregg,

Soft stools are the measure by which you can tell if you are getting the right amount of Mg. It is a fine line sometimes between that and watery stools. If you get watery stools, back it off 100 mg. After awhile you may even be able to ramp it up until you hit the watery stool stage again. Then back it off 100 mg. It is a balancing act, but well worth the effort.

lisa

March 11, 2012 08:31PM
I have found that the magnesium 'keeps me regular' and when I was in hospital they tried to give me a laxative. I question each and every pill or liquid I am given (if conscious) and asked what it was. A laxative... it is standard procedure in this wing. Lessee now, I'm taking (sneaking) my magnesium after consulting the cardiac pharmacologist in charge; I am therefore perfectly regular.... now they want to give me a sedative at night along with a laxative? I don't think so. Thank you very much.

It took me over a year to 'titrate' from 100mg of Magnesium to 500mg. Going to 600 mg. last week had the expected results and I backed off only to try again a couple of days later. I am now at the point where 600mg. may or may not give me jet propulsion. Obviously I can't afford to experiment when away from home, but when I am near facilities for a time, I will push it up to 600 to see what happens and I expect that my body will adapt within a few more weeks/months and I will level out at 600 on an ongoing basis.

Do not expect to begin Magnesium at 600 mg daily without installing seat and shoulder belts on your toilet facilities. And I sure wouldn't be driving around anywhere during the process of increasing dosing.

Just MHO.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
March 12, 2012 07:02AM
Well spotted, Greg. It would seem they have indeed removed Bioperine. Perhaps in response to comments on this Forum?

From Sam who still hasn't found a way to change Author! It can't be done at Control Certer.
March 12, 2012 01:38PM
Stranger/Sam,

I am unable to change your previous poster's name "stranger", but in future postings you can log in and use the name "Sam".

Hans
March 12, 2012 04:05PM
Thanks, Hans but, and I'm probably being a bit thick here, I don't quite understand what you mean. Do you mean just put Sam after the message? (Which is what I have been doing).
March 12, 2012 04:49PM
Here is the sequence.

If you are logged in under the user name "stranger" log out.

You'll see the option to "create a profile"

Create a new profile with the user name "Sam" and a new password

Hans
March 13, 2012 11:51PM
Ralph,
When I took a trip to Greece this past summer for 19 days I felt great basically no erratic beats other than 1 day maybe.
When I went for blood work a few months later it came back that I was Vitamin D deficient so I attributed the sun gave me just enough exposure to get enough Vit D.
Now I just made the connection I also went swimming everyday so I was getting infused with Magnesium without realizing it.
One of my doctors today also mentioned Magnesium was brought up in one of her seminars and some prominent doctors brought up the critical role mag plays in many organs in the body. She was quite impressed. As you all know I'm not a big advocate of supplements but I'm keeping an open mind and trying again. Le't see.
Sam
March 14, 2012 07:03AM
Thanks. Hans! All sorted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login