Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mechanically induced Lone Atrial Fibrillation

Posted by Don 
Three years ago, at the age of 60, while working as a wellsite geologist on a small drilling rig, I pressed my back against a small very high speed - high frequency vibrating motor much as one would use a vibrating massage chair. That night, while sleeping, back at home, I was stricken with a very violent "attack" of atrial fibrillation. I was hospitalized for 32 hours for treatment. This was the first such attack of my life. At the time, I had no idea what could have cause such an event. Three weeks later, while working on the same drill rig, I mentioned the "massage" benefits of the motor to one of the regular drill crew and he informed me that the drilling company had just presented a satety meeting to the workers warned them against sitting or standing on that particular motor because it posed a serious risk of producing fatal heart irregularities! I was, of course shocked and became fearful and very wary of the device - even of being anywhere near it! Since that time, I have corresponded with various persons on line and have heard accounts of afib having been caused by massage chairs and jack hammers. I think there is sufficient evidence to warrant investigations of these claims of mechanically induced afib. I would appreciate if any medical investigators reading this would do so. Also, if other persons, having experienced something similar to what I have, would contact me, I will gladly continue building a file of "incidents" for future reference.

About two months after my hospitalization, I had a slight reoccurrence of afib but did not require hospitalization. Since then, for more than two years, I have been normal. About a year ago, at the request of my doctor, I wore a heart monitor for 48 hours. The test detected no irregularities at all. I am moderately well physically fit and seem to represent those persons identified as victims of "lone atrial fibrillation".

Thank you,

Don
Re: Mechanically induced Lone Atrial Fibrillation
March 04, 2012 10:24AM
Hi Don - What you've described here goes along with what is known about "electropollution" from various sources and there is a great deal of scientific validation on this topic and how it relates to atrial fibrillation and much, much more.

Refer to the recent Electropollution posts and get into the websites those referenced... Oram Miller, Stephen Sinatra, MD (cardiologist), and his book on Earthing (grounding) and the many other scientists mentioned in the various associated threads on this topic.

In addition to these two posts, use the search feature on Electropollution... there are many other links.

[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
March 04, 2012 10:58AM
That motor could have very strong electric fields associated with it also. The vibration angle is interesting, I've noticed that certain vibration frequencies do seem to affect my heart (making me think I'm starting an afib episode, but there is no continuity)- that part is a vagal nerve issue, I believe. If that is the case, somehow the vibration frequency causes a nerve/stimulation response that correlates to certain erratic heart rhythms - a sort of harmonic effect. It is fascinating that the manufacturer would label it as a danger, since it is unlikely that any kind of "study" was performed. I'd bet that the company's own assembler/testing personnel had issues! Wow.
March 04, 2012 11:47AM
In addition to the possible electromagnetic field, the vibration itself can cause problems :

[www.afibbers.org]

[www.afibbers.org]

Just a couple of examples of discussions on the subject of noise/vibration

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
Thats very interesting Don. . My AF started 5 years ago after mowing the lawn in my yard with with a gasoline lawn mower that was vibrating quite a bit. Unfortunately It has stayed with me ever since.phil
March 04, 2012 08:50PM
Here is another perspective on this issue. I have went into a-fib while having a massage when the upper area of my back was being vigorously massaged. It was not my first episode, but it definitely triggered an episode. According to my chiro. certain vertebrae in the upper back connect to nerves that go directly to the heart. I now also avoid chiropractic adjustments to those areas because whenever that area was adjusted I would have an a-fib episode within a day or two.

My very first episode was triggered by hyperthyroidism...too much natural thyroid supplement. However, my episodes stated happening with regularity after I began experiencing frozen shoulder which was most likely trigger by a fall four months prior. Again, I believe that there was some involvement of the nerves and muscles in the upper back. While I know that my hypothyroidism is some how playing a role in all this I also see plenty of evidence of mechanics contributing as well.
March 05, 2012 01:11PM
That is really interesting. Please keep us informed of your research. Can you provide more details (RPM, HP, Voltage, Frequesncy, etc) on the motor and why it is so easily accessible to those working on a drilling rig?
March 05, 2012 03:22PM
Mike had his first afib episode after using a big floor sander all day. He was very tired and stressed and the floor sander really vibrated.
I was never aware of this connection before. Thanks for the information.

Debbie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login