Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Afib and poor sitting posture

Posted by Ed 
Ed
Afib and poor sitting posture
December 12, 2011 07:00PM
Has anyone wondered if poor sitting posture (such as sitting on a bed too long) could precipitate or even cause afib? I have noticed that if I am sitting on the bed ( probably too long) and slouching my heart seems to flutter and sometimes causes an attack. Any one else agree?
Mike Harris
Re: Afib and poor sitting posture
December 12, 2011 07:09PM
Might be due to resultant pressure on the vagus nerve?
john McDee
December 12, 2011 07:21PM
I dont knmow if this is the same but

sometimes I would lay on the couch to watch TV. without a proper head support and good posture position I would get this pain in my upper neck where it connects to the skull..
The morning I awoke with a stroke(caused by AFIcool smiley I was experiecing extreme headache pain in the same location.. worse Headache I ever had in my life. I was stumbling trying to find an Aspirinn, when my wife noticed I was Drolling and half my face was not moving. NOw I am reading Afib formums trying to find a cure..
William
December 12, 2011 08:16PM
The left side of my face (including eye) was paralyzed by a hemorrhagic stroke, hemorrhage caused by too much blood thinner (fish oil).

You will need to find which kind of stroke, so if it's (ischemic) from clot aspirin is OK.

I used this [healself.org] for a cure, Note Well, I ate only raw paleolithic diet to break fasting.

Took three months to cure.

William
E. B.
December 13, 2011 04:34AM
Ed,

It's called a postural trigger. One of the more common PT's is sleeping or lying on your left side. My doctor explained that one by saying that if you lie on your right side it makes it easier for the stomach to empty. Lying on the left (especially with a full stomach) gets the vagus nerve going.

For me, lying back in my recliner after dinner used to be a common trigger (now I don't do that).

I asked my EP if anything could be done about postural triggers and he said "try to avoid doing them."

EB
December 13, 2011 05:18AM
Ed - yes, definitely posture can contribute. Scrunching the midsection impinges the vagus nerve. When I was an active afibber and golfer, just bending over from the waist to put a tee in the ground was often a trigger.
The holistic chiropractor I was seeing at the time did an adjustment in the stomach/diaphragm area and I went from daily or every other day events to zero after about five treatments....and of course, I was working on optimizing electrolytes at the same time.

Steve Rochlitz wrote an article published in Townsend Letter on the vagus involvement.

"A missing link to chronic illness, allergies and longevity? Vagus Nerve Imbalance/Hiatal Hernia Syndrome"
[findarticles.com]

Jackie
Josiah
December 13, 2011 05:35AM
William-

How much fish oil were you taking prior to your stroke? How much are you now taking ? I can't recall, does your diet include fish?

Josiah

William
December 13, 2011 07:09AM
IIRC it was one capsule of krill oil/day. I take no oil supplements now, the nutrient analysis of the grass-fed beef I eat has all the EFAs in proper proportion.

I used to eat a small can of wild pacific salmon about every week or so, but since supplementing with iodine and selenium I've no taste for that.

William
Darcy
December 14, 2011 03:12PM
I notice I kick up a little bit when I sit too long hunched over the computer. I've always tied it to vagal nerve disturbance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login