Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Relationship between Atrial Fibrillation and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A

Posted by Mike H 
As a scientist I do regular pubmed searches and came across this abstract:

Relationship between Atrial Fibrillation and Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: A Multicenter Questionnaire Survey.
Shimazu H, Nakaji G, Fukata M, Odashiro K, Maruyama T, Akashi K.
SourceDepartment of Medicine, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan.

Abstract
Objectives: The relationship between atrial fibrillation (AF) and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) remains controversial, and investigations into this relationship have been based on small series. This multicenter survey evaluated the relationship between these diseases. Methods: The study enrolled 188 consecutive subjects (110 males and 78 females, mean age 60.4 ± 0.9 years) treated as outpatients. Patients were classified by the frequency scale for symptoms of GERD (F-scale) after obtaining informed consent for screening for GERD. Scores on this questionnaire were correlated to baseline characteristics obtained from medical records. The cutoff value for a diagnosis of GERD was set at 8.0 points. Results: Total scores on the F-scale were significantly greater in female subjects (p = 0.004) and in patients with AF (p = 0.019) compared to the other subjects. Univariate and multivariate analysis of the prevalence of GERD demonstrated that GERD was not related to gender, hypertension, dyslipidemia or coronary artery disease and that AF alone showed a significant (p < 0.001) correlation with GERD. Conclusions: This multicenter questionnaire survey demonstrated that among traditional cardiovascular risk factors, AF was an independent risk factor for GERD. A large cohort study to assess the potential relationship between GERD and AF is warranted.

I know that my afib is related to GERD. I am very careful to eat small meals because a full stomach is one of my triggers...and I have GERD. The first afib attack I had was after eating a really full meal and going to bed for the night. But not all people who have GERD get afib according to my doctor. He would not agree that GERD will cause afib but I absolutely know it has with me.

GERD is a fairly common theme in CR61 Personal Experiences with Afib Abatement [www.afibbers.org]

Search on it in the PDF for reports from these posters:

David Price
LEE (MD)
SUE BOWDEN
DEAN
BRIAN M
David S
STEVE W.
kestra
SUSAN

Also look in Jackie's report CR63 No More Heartburn
[www.afibbers.org]

A search in the archives will net many posts. [www.afibbers.org]

One afibbers, an MD actually had an anti-reflux surgical procedure (a Nissan Fundoplasty) and is much better. You can search for this in the 2007 time frame.
George

I have GERD and started to get AF shortly after I was endoscoped and diagnosed with Barrets Esophagus I was put on a PPI which I think was my downfall. If I am careful with my stomach my Afib stays at bay but I still have a bout every 5wks or so(seems like it builds up).
The last afib episode I had was triggered immediately following a burp that brought stomach acid up in my throat. The mechanism in my case is that this type of burp triggers a huge vagal reflex that drops my pulse low enough that an ectopic beat can sneak in and bang, I'm in afib. I know that in my case belching causes a temporary reduction in heart rate. I observed this thousands of times in the past when I used to jog with a heart rate monitor.
MY afib is also brought on by burping and the resulting vagal reflex. When I have gone running in the past, my heart rate will typically drop 10 to 15 beats per minute if I burp on a run. When I do get afib, I can now stop my afib by a brief 2 minutes of running up stairs or jumping jacks when it occurs. Switching to a primal blueprint diet has definitely helped with burping.

"primal blueprint diet ", Mike? Please will you explain what that consists of? Same as paleo?

PeggyM
Heather, Your contribution rang a bell with me. I used to get afib every 4 weeks and I felt it was building up. I am pretty well clear now, but that's a long story
Jeff - I'm all ears - whats your story ? I used to have weekly (weekend) bouts but since being careful, cutting down salt and supplementing have reduced the frequency - also episodes not nearly so fierce. Burping def brings it on as sometimes bending over - I also have to consciously 'relax' my stomach as sometimes I get a 'blip' and I realise its all tight and up in my chest - I no longer wear clothes that restrict my midriff for that reason!

Recently at the 2wk mark I've had almost a 'breakthrough' afib attack but lasts only 5-10mins and then disappears (twice this has happened both times after eating too quickly)?

Still puzzling it out - and trying to 'heal' my stomach which is I think the root of my probs !
Peggy,

Basically, yes:

[www.marksdailyapple.com]

[www.marksdailyapple.com]

George

Thanks, George. Useful, interesting url's.

PeggyM
Heather, I first got afib at the age of 50. I was a racing cyclist and have since discovered that endurance sports tend to make afib more likely. The incidents came with a 4 weekly frequency. 8 years later I suffered a ruptured aorta and survived only because I was super fit. Following a long spell in hospital, I found the afib attacks came every 9 or 10 days.
I had tried most of the drugs without success. A junior doctor suggested amiodarone. I knew of it and its reputation from this board, but was willing to try anything. It stopped the afib. I was taking 200mg daily. I was aware that amio had a long half-life and would accumulate in the system, so I halved the dose after a month, without any loss of efficacy. I continued to halve the dose each month, until I was making one pill last 4 weeks. I was also taking atenolol, a beta blocker [25mg]

I have stayed almost clear of afib for 7 years, the only exceptions being occasions when I have taken coffee or tea that is not decaffeinated. These occasions have been inadvertent: ie when I've asked for decaff and been given normal tea or coffee.

I suspect now that the atenolol is more important than the micro dose of amio, but I am not going to put it to the test. The nasty side-effects of amio have a lot to do with high doses and sustained use.

I hope you find this useful. But don't forget that we are all different.

Jeff
Jeff, are you aware that amiodarone is a kind of iodine?

William
William, No, I wasn't. Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login