Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do long term episodes convert on its own?

Posted by gregg 
gregg
Do long term episodes convert on its own?
September 08, 2011 02:03PM
This relates to mine and two other posts on here very recently. For those of you with episodes in the days or months in duration, has anyone converted on your own or does it always require a cardioversion or medication intervention?
Emmie
Re: Do long term episodes convert on its own?
September 08, 2011 05:46PM
I self-converted for a long time - over a period of several years - from episodes lasting from hours to days. But eventually I went into 24/7 AF and had to have a PVI/ablation. The self-conversion method that worked best for me was to lie on my back on the floor, with my legs supported by a chair seat, making right angles at the thighs and knees.
This position was given to me by my osteopath- to relieve back /hip pain. Laying like this relaxes the psoas muscle, which is involved in an astonishing range of disorders including digestive problems.
Good luck with the self conversions - long may they last!
Emmie

steve
September 09, 2011 07:26AM
In the old days (thank goodness!) before ablation/magnesium success, I had frequent episodes lasting for 12-24 hours. In the 6 months before ablation I had episodes ranging from 24 hours to 19 days. I always self-converted. Never on any anti-arrhythmmic meds or cardioversion.

I may, however, have eventually gotten there, but (touch wood) I now consider myself "cured," recognizing the sheer folly of the concept.

Good luck.
b-man
September 09, 2011 10:40AM
I have always self converted since i have had afib episodes (the late 80s). The longest episode I had was 2 weeks (once) and 1 week (twice). Other than that, I typically self convert in 3-4 days. I am now running one episode every 10 weeks.

Up until a year ago, i only took aspirin during episodes. Now because I have become more cautious, I take Pradaxa when I am in afib just to be safe. I am a runner and my heart has no structural issues.

I am considering an ablation now since I am sick of the episodes interfering my my active life style.
Nel
September 10, 2011 01:44PM
I've been in Afib since May...I couldn't have a cardioversion as I was in the hospital for too thin blood from all the coumadin I had taken over the years..terrible ordeal...I'm not taking any meds for it. I think maybe the Cardio want's to wait until all the Amiodarone is out of my system to give me maybe something else...wish I could self convert...
The Afib I'm having now is not anything like the 8 I've had over the last 10 years, I was cardioverted then..I don't notice anything much with it this time...
Dr. is giving me lot of BP pills to keep my BP down in hopes I will convert,(also take Pradaxa now)nothing yet..I'll see what happens when I see him next time...or I may call him...
curt r
September 15, 2011 01:22AM
I self converted from many episodes lasting for weeks at a time. Episodes becme more frequent. Now in afib for 6 months, wondering if I will ever convert again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login