Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Electrocardioversion with an INR of 1.6

Posted by Maureen 
Maureen
Electrocardioversion with an INR of 1.6
September 08, 2011 02:30PM
I went into AF on Wednesday.....I was at the cardiologist doing a stress test to see what my 'very frequent' PVC's do.... when excercising. I got quite puffed and then voila, I was in AF. My cardiologist said that if I was still in it on Monday he will do an electrocardioversion this coming Tuesday. After the stress test I went and had my INR tested and the result came back the next day that it was 1.6. I had just come back from holidays and knew that I had forgotten to take my warfarin one night....long story which I won't bore you with now. They have increased my warfarin slightly....but my question is, will it be OK to have an electrocardioversion if my INR had gone down to 1.6 less than a week before the anticipated electro-cardioversion?
Thanks Maureen

Lou Toews
Re: Electrocardioversion with an INR of 1.6
September 08, 2011 02:53PM
Maureen,
I would think by Monday your INR would be back to where it was before you missed a dose. I just started taking warfarin again a week ago after being off it for five years. After three days my INR was 1.4 and then four days later I had it checked and it was 2.6. I think you will be fine in a couple of days.
Hopefully you will convert on your own before then. I'm just wondering if you are using a pill in the pocket.
Best wishes,
Lou
Maureen
September 08, 2011 08:16PM
Lou, PIP doesn't seem to work for me..........more's the pity!
Maureen
Tom C
September 09, 2011 11:05PM
Maureen, if in doubt he could always do a TEE test prior to the CV.
Murray L.
September 10, 2011 03:54AM
I would want my INR in the range before doing an electrocardioversion. In fact, my cardiologist (ex cardiologist) wanted me in the range for 6 weeks prior to electrocardioversion (?).

As an alternative, you may feel comfortable and get similar effect from having a TEE done prior to the attempted electrocardioversion; but I think I would like to be in the INR range too.

I am not a doctor and just parroting what I have read and perhaps learned in my AFib adventure.

I am on the list for catheter ablation at Southlake Medical Centre in Newmarket ON; it has been 100 days since confirmation of my referral and I am going to start bugging them on Monday to see when I get to consult. They must be crazy busy?

Thence I get to wait another 8 - 12 months for the procedure unless they accept grovelling as an acceptable means of speeding things up.

I want my life back.
Maureen
September 12, 2011 11:29AM
Thanks for your help everyone
Maureen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login