Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exatest is bogus

Posted by Ivan 
Ivan
Exatest is bogus
August 27, 2011 06:36PM
Don't waste your time and money on exatest. I had mine done several months ago and showed everything within normal ranges. Even though being in a fib 2-3 times a week for 3 hours. Without a professional to interpret the findings, it's very difficult to make an informed decision. Instead, do a hair analyzation test with a professional ND. I did one a few months back and it showed major deficiencies in several key minerals as well as showing levels of some you don't want. If you have the ability to get the hair sample test, have a professional interpret the findings. Mine suggested several supplements and I am on my way to bringing my levels back to normal. If you live in Miami, I can give you a suggestion of who to go to.
Erling
Re: Exatest is bogus
August 27, 2011 08:35PM
Ivan - Exatest is definitely not bogus, but interpretation of Exatest results requires knowledge-skills that few physicians possess. For guidance see the 'Exatest interpretation guide' - [www.afibbers.org].

Erling

August 28, 2011 03:21AM
Ivan - There is nothing bogus about electron microscopy for intracellular mineral analysis. Major researchers looking at intracellular minerals acknowledge that this is the 'gold standard.' Medicare pays for Exatest and they certainly would not if it wasn't a valid assay.

Jackie
Ivan
August 28, 2011 03:53AM
My insurance company WOULD NOT pay for the EXATEST and I had to pay out of pocket. On my own the results were useless. Again, my results showed all levels within normal ranges even though I was having AFIB episodes 2-3x a week. If it helped someone out there please let me know how it did. However, the hair analysis i did test showed a clear bar graph type levels of all important minerals. Mine showed most well below normal ranges. After several months of supplementation my levels came up a bit although still very far from normal levels. To me the average Joe out there without Medicare or health insurance and without medical interpretation, it is a waste. The hair analysis was gold standard to me and was a true accurate interpretation of my levels.
E. B.
August 29, 2011 12:20PM
Well my GP took the Exatest sample last week and I expect the result this week. If everything comes back in normal range I will certainly be disappointed, but one question for the group: if I am magnesium deficient (which I expect to be), what kind of program should I expect the doctor to prescribe? Shots, IV, infusions, etc.? I am currently supplementing orally to bowel tolerance.
Erling
August 29, 2011 03:45PM
Why it's invalid to declare Exatest "bogus" and a waste of time and money:

There are two parts to the Exatest report -- careful evaluation and interpretation of both is key to the test's value, as together they provide important clues. Hair mineral values cannot provide intracellular ratios.

1). Intracellular concentration of 6 electrolytes and "normal" ranges:

MAGNESIUM [in range, very high]
CALCIUM
POTASSIUM [in range, but very low]
SODIUM
CHLORIDE
PHOSPHORUS

2). Important ratios between the electrolytes and "normal" ranges:

PHOSPHORUS / CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM / CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM / PHOSPHORUS
POTASSIUM / CALCIUM
POTASSIUM / MAGNESIUM
POTASSIUM / SODIUM

In my '08 Exatest all electrolyte concentrations were "normal". but K was very low making all potassium ratios (Ca, Mg, Na) below range. At the time I had been having intermittent sinus node "pauses". The important clue provided by the Exatest was the very low K/Na ratio. The corrective was a few days of high dose K supplementation that brought the K/Na ratio up to the sinus node's needs. High magnesium made this easy and quick. (http://www.afibbers.org/forum/read.php?f=8&i=12250&t=12250&v=t).

Again: Exatest interpretation guide [www.afibbers.org].

Erling
August 29, 2011 04:11PM
The above post shows that in my '08 Exatest potassium was very low, making the K/Na ratio below range (18.6). The significance of the K/Na ratio may be understood from 'The Exatest interpretation guide':

POTASSIUM/SODIUM
Range: (19.4-38.9)

"Active transport of K and Na produces major energy processes, normal cell volume, and is vital to ion transport, as well as producing the membrane potentials for all secretory functions, neurotransmission, and neuromuscular activity. Serum potassium levels are not good indicators of tissue levels. This ratio is vital to establishment of homeostasis for normal function of intracellular biochemical events."

Ivan
August 31, 2011 03:46PM
I'm glad it may help some people. As I said above,it sure did not help me as all levels and ratios were normal even though I was having episodes 2-3X a week.

Erling,
I would think the hair analysis would be an excellent way to test intracellular mineral levels. Why would you say it is not?
Here is some information on hair analysis:

Why our Hair Analysis Test?

Every single mineral in the body has an effect on every other mineral in the body. The physical body is made up of minerals whch are the basis of all life.

A hair analysis test is the best way to obtain a comprehensive and accurate vitamin deficiency test or a mineral deficiency test.

Hair is the second most metabolically active tissue in the body. The hair tissue is affected by the blood, perspiration, environment, genetics, hormones and enzymes. The hair represents what is occurring inside the cells and the submolecular figures of the body. A blood test shows what is happening outside the cell and the waste material being discarded. The hair gives a reading of what is being stored in the body. For example, if mercury is high in the hair, a higher concentration of it would also be found in organs like the kidney and liver.

A hair analysis gives a complete picture of a person's health history. Our hair analysis test can indicate vitamin, mineral and nutritional deficiencies as well as heavy metal toxicity have occured over a long period of time.

All minerals need to be in balance for optimal health. For instance if calcium and magnesium are too low you may have muscle twitches or trouble sleeping. If sodium and potassium are too high you may have hyperactivity.

If our hair analysis test indicates that there is an elevated mineral toxicity, this means that your minerals are getting stuck in the connective tissues, instead of being utilized by your body. The key is that ALL of your minerals need to be in "balance" with each other so they can nourish your body properly as they are supposed to do.

Without a hair test, there is no scientific way to identify which vitamins and minerals you need for optimal physical and emotional health. Just taking a general multi vitamin/mineral complex may not be what your body needs. Our hair analysis is a perfect Vitamin and Mineral Test!

above from "www.hairanalysistest.com"
Ken
September 01, 2011 06:32AM
Ivan,

Sorry to say, but it looks to me like your "professional ND" is in the business of selling you supplements you may not need.

I could be wrong, but I am a skeptic. Just something to consider. If you are happy with the results and fine with the costs, go for it.
Tom C
September 01, 2011 03:44PM
Ivan and Erling , is there a point where you are wasting money on these tests? I spent $250 on a Cardymeter and I can check my Potassium level whenever I feel like it, now that is a good investment. You can supplement with Mag. until you reach bowel intolerance. You then watch your Sodium and take the other routine afib reducing supplements reccomended here. If that does not work then it is time for an ablation, it is that simple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login