Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chocolate as a trigger - how fast?

Posted by Katy 
Katy
Chocolate as a trigger - how fast?
July 27, 2011 11:52AM
I am trying to narrow down the triggers for my afib. I know chocolate is one, so just thought I'd ask. I've had two attacks now, but they were 24-48 hours after I'd eaten some chocolate (ok, in one case a LOT of chocolate). I can't imagine that it would sit in my system that long before triggering afib, but thought I'd consult the group just in case.
Katy
Re: Chocolate as a trigger - how fast?
July 27, 2011 12:16PM
Katy - in another recent thread, the reasons why chocolate might be a trigger were discussed. <[www.afibbers.org];

If you ate a lot of chocolate at one time, the cumulative effect of the overload of sugar could carry on for quite some time in the glucose metabolism cycle.... as could the other chemicals introduced.

Always keep in mind that whether or not you have afib, sugar is the enemy and for many reasons. Minor amounts if any is the key, always, and never on an empty stomach.

Jackie
Ben Saif
July 27, 2011 10:16PM
katy,
for me chocolate is a trigger. the afib comes after 24 to 48 hours.
I dont eat chocolate any more . I hope i can enjoy it sometime in the future?

Katy
July 28, 2011 03:16AM
Thanks folks - I am a verified chocoholic (mostly vegan in rest of my world). I usually have chocolate 3-4 times a week. Afib has never followed it quickly (within 24 hours), and except for these two times, hadn't even followed within the same week. But am trying to check on everything.
Katy
DickI
July 31, 2011 05:57AM
I read that the half lives of caffeine and theobromine are in the 7 -10 hour area, which means that after 24 hours, the original amount would be halved 3x (assuming an 8hr half life), leaving 1/16th of the original quantity (do I have that right?). After another 24 hours the amount would be awfully small.

So I wonder about how these substances could be triggers after such a length of time? Or does the original dose set in motion some process that can take time to show itself in an arrhythmia? Could other adrenergic factors be involved along the way in some people?

-- Dick
lisa s
July 31, 2011 09:19AM
Dick,

Pure speculation on my part:

If chocolate is an adrenergic trigger as you propose, then perhaps for a vagal-type, the aftermath (letdown as it were) it would manifest itself at a later time? Much like a vagal response to exercise.

lisa

GeorgeN
July 31, 2011 10:13AM
Some food sensitivities, as opposed to allergies, can have reactions 48 hours or more after ingestion. As I recall, this is an IgG vs. an IgE (allergy) immune response.

Because of this, they can be very hard to figure out. A friend had sensitivities as a migraine trigger. The migraines occurred 2 days after he ate the offending food. Once he cut out the food, the migraines ceased.

George
Eric
August 02, 2011 01:47AM
mine is while I am eating it. However I now get 8 hours sleep a night and have gone paleo (with some dairy) Lacto - paleo I guess. And things are much better.Katy wrote:
Tom C
August 02, 2011 11:09AM
I used to get headaches prior to starting a "Trio "regimen and have not had one for about a year and a half, I believe it was the Magnesium that did the trick, however last week I had a dark choclate candy bar and had a headache that was ended in short order with a couple of Advil. I have had a couple of small pieces with no problems but an entire bar did me in with a headache, no Afib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login